Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

Cap'n, some random thoughts from your third engine wiper. Matt's on the right track for ripped sails. From your earlier discussions, I suspect Bligh would not want the ripped sails staying in that condition for long. The sails  must have been patched in a place or three. Patches would be whatever cloth they may have scrounged. More than likely not sail colored cloth. A shirt or breeches, perhaps? I say put a patch or two on your sails.

And most definitely sun bleached. Think about how washed out/sun-faded cloth can get; but canvas sails would get faded by turning what color? Up here in the mountains, white cloth gets dingy grey and gets weak. But, we're cooler and wetter than the Southern Ocean. Would the canvas yellow?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, Guys !!

Ken, I think I prefer the idea of a patch or two. It seems a whole lot safer than actually cutting into the sails (which took me some three weeks of hand-stitching).

From a current re-read of "The Bounty Mutiny", it is known that Bligh and the loyalists did ride out some quite stormy weather during their travels. Although, as I read further, I see no indication that repairs to sails were made at any point.

Hmmm .....

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

From what very little I've read, Bligh seems to be focused on surviving and getting home, for everyone on board. I can see if one of us got lost in the woods for weeks we'd write about the bear, or a salty, that almost got us, not the rash we got from the poison oak leaves that was used as TP. I think that's why I pay more attention to what's Not written.

The patch idea does seem to be a safer way because you could apply and take it of if you find it unsightly.

My wife almost had a heart attack when I mentioned I may age my boat by dragging it through the gravel in the yard, that idea is still in the back of my head.

Whatever you chose, I'm sure will look great.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

As a little side-project this past couple of weeks (it all started with my recent work accident), I have been re-visiting Captain Bligh's logs.

It's nothing too scholarly, but I have put together a little spread-sheet layout which lists, specifically, all provisioning taken on board the Launch during the Mutiny, any and all goods collected along the way, as well as events which may have changed the appearance of the Launch.

My primary reason for doing this is to answer the question of exactly what was carried on board.

Check it out here !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Fairly easy read there Captain, even for my hamster-driven mind. Interesting document, giving weather conditions and dates, besides supplies being brought on board.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

This past week didst see our Hero complete a task which hath weighed most heavily, indeedeth, upon his mind.

Whence last we did leaveth him, CaptainSteve had finished the sewing of his sails and was deep in contemplation.
“Specifically, I be most concerned with matters of colouration,” he didst try to explain, as if that never happens.

But firstly, there be the matter o’ what wouldst be a-holding his sails unto the Sticks.
“Err, I be meanin’, the Spars,” he didst quickly interject.

And the answer to this question was to be found in CaptainSteve's vast collection of beads, bits, pieces and left-over kit parts.
post-675-0-60397100-1420026090_thumb.jpg

These actually be the very same bead what 'as been used previously fer the cutlass pommels. To fit the beads, CaptainSteve didst taketh up his knife and hacketh gaping (2mm) holes into his sails.

post-675-0-70344100-1420026093_thumb.jpg

"The beads be coated in two-part epoxy glue 'afore being set into place ..." he said.

But, this didst leaveth a glue stain ...

... which didst only help to confirm my idea !!!

And, hence, a guinea pig was required, soeth that a test couldst be undertaken:
post-675-0-55436100-1420026096_thumb.jpg

"I doth assure ye," CaptainSteve muttered, "There was MANY tests!!"

post-675-0-33102000-1420026099_thumb.jpg

Now, many of you shalt be pleased to learn that CaptainSteve hath since forgone earlier plans to rend a mighty rip unto his sails. For, since completing some readings into the whole Mutiny saga (and publishing his learnings here), Our Hero hath gone cold on the idea.

“I’ve gone cold uponeth that whole idea,” he did sayeth. “Indeedeth, despite numerous references to the fiercest of weather, there be nought in Bligh’s log that doest give any indication as to sail damage throughout their journey.”

Indeed, verily, though it was a most goodly thought, even the patches will no longer be making an appearance.

“Now, beforeth I doth move forth with the pictures,” Our Hero was heard to say, “I shouldst like ye to consider that everything in the foreground o' this next picture didst be used to achieveth the final look.”
post-675-0-63165700-1420026102_thumb.jpg

“As to the look upon which I was to eventually settle,” CaptainSteve explained. “Twice were I to findeth in Bligh’s scribblings, notes which didst help maketh up my mind fer me ..."

"Firstly, rains didst cometh down almost constantly throughout the journey, making the Loyalists cold, wet and miserable for a large portion of the time.

post-675-0-71272100-1420026105_thumb.jpg

“And, secondly,” he didst continue, “there were a LOT of sea-birds about !!”

This, of course, doth raiseth that old, philosophical conundrum:

'If a potato chip doth fall-eth upon a beach, and there be-eth no sea-gull to swoop upon it, then didst it indeed fall-eth ??'

(... sound of crickets chirping away in the background ... )

"But, I doest digress ..." stated CaptainSteve, perhaps somewhat unnecessarily.

For, verily, this was all done with dry-brushing ...
post-675-0-01304400-1420026111_thumb.jpg

Except for the bird-poop ...

post-675-0-67365900-1420026113_thumb.jpg

“Strictly in order to maintaineth authenticity (and texture),“ Our Hero added, most helpfully, “didst I applieth that wet.”

post-675-0-57632700-1420026108_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-73116800-1420026116_thumb.jpg

“I be a-figurin’,” CaptainSteve didst begineth to wind this whole thing up-eth, “that gannet/booby/noddy poop wouldst be-eth of a thicker viscosity than that of leeching, rust-stained rain-water a-running down me sails.”

And one final photograph showing them laid out, this time upon the plans.
“At a short distance, they actually be lookin’ quite fine, methinks,” he didst concludeth.
post-675-0-98641600-1420026118_thumb.jpg

Happy New Year to each an' every one o' you !!!

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

WOW! Those sails look amazing! Great realistic weathering. Details like that are lost or forgotten so often. Outstanding work.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Quite the artiste, Cap'n. The sails look perfectly ratty and worn. Let me add another outstanding vote. :10_1_10:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Wow CaptainSteve!

You just keep pushing the bar higher and higher. Those sails are exquisite and very realistic!

Matt

Great spread sheet as well. Now I have to decide at what point in this voyage is my model based on, I'm kinda leaning toward midway, we'll see in time.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Arrr ...

WOW! Those sails look amazing! Great realistic weathering. Details like that are lost or forgotten so often. Outstanding work.

Quite the artiste, Cap'n. The sails look perfectly ratty and worn. Let me add another outstanding vote. :10_1_10:

You just keep pushing the bar higher and higher. Those sails are exquisite and very realistic!

WoW !!! 

Thanks VERY much, guys.

(CaptainSteve doth blush a deep red in colouration)

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't certain how they'd be received.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Some mighty fine looking sails there Captain! The authenticity is fantastic. This deserves a celebration with a dozen, or more quarts of grog for you and your crew, on this New Year's Eve!  :P  :P  :P

Cheers and Happy New Year

post-12186-0-03706800-1420035275.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Steve, the sails look absolutely incredible!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Wow. First human hair, now bird poop. You are indeed a master. I love it.

Have a happy new year Captain. (I guess it is already 2015 where you are)

Congratulations on  set of old weather beaten pieces of canvas that have seen better days,  Well Done!!

David B

... set of old weather beaten pieces of canvas that have seen better days.

That be a TERRIBLE thing to sa ....

Oh !!! Wait a sec ...

Thanks fer the compliment, DG !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just wow CaptainSteve!

The quality of your work and final results are just amazing!  If you applied the same efforts to your English we would lose (very sadly) CaptainSteve and be replaced by Master Modeller William Shakespeare!  Actually he spoke pretty strangely too haha.

But seriously, your Launch is just amazing and each time I look at your log I want to start one myself, and read the books about the Launch's own voyage.

Bindy

P.S.  Good luck with the recovery from your work injury!!  It sounds very painful  :(

Hey CaptainSteve,

Check this toolbox out at toolchest-site.com

Matt

post-17116-0-93056000-1420393941.jpg

Hey CaptainSteve,

Check this toolbox out at toolchest-site.com

Matt

Matt,

I suspect yours will be slightly smaller ... and have more tools.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

I don't know if you checked out that site or not, that guy had over 1000 hours into that!!

I'd have to quit my day job.

Matt

I have had a thoroughly enjoyable time and a right laugh reading through your log Captain Steve B)  :D  :D I knew I had to come and check it out when I saw you nuts in the other thread :rolleyes: Some great original thinking that makes your model packed with detail.I am surprised that your LOS is the same make as mine,I would have thought someone may have produced it in Oz,rather than importing from the UK.Did you find it worked ok on brass?,The manufacturer does actually list a different product for brass.

As a sidenote,the welding technical coordinator of my former employer happened to be one of the worlds leading authorities on ancient Japanese swordmaking and metalurgy.He very rarely came into the workshop,I would have loved to have a chat with him as I find it fascinating.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel,

Thanks for dropping by and I'm pleased you enjoyed yourself. I do like to make my build-logs entertaining where possible.

The LoS was purchased on-line and came from over East in New South Wales. At the time, I thought it a good idea to stock up, so I've bought 6 bottles. This will probably last me a life-time ... and, most likely, enough shall remain for me to bequeath some in my will.

So far, it has only been used on the thwart clamps and some small metalworking on the tool-chest. The colour was more of a smoky-black, rather than the nice, matt colour you (and others) get for the cannons. Never fear, I have three bottles of Caseys Brass Black currently in transit.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

This past week, Our Hero be working his way thru the list he didst draw-up of the detail items to be a-going into his Launch.
“There be precious little to be a-telling ye about,” CaptainSteve did begineth. “This past seven-day, I be mocking up some buckets and piggins.”

Indeedeth, the info provided by Buck as a reference was most goodly and of great help. However, CaptainSteve’s buckets be bearin’ only a passing similarity to Googled images.

“I … err … that is, I was a-tryin’ to make ‘em appear battered and beaten,” he stammered. “Yea !! Verily, that be it. I was a-tryin' to be making 'em look weathered !!”

Arrr. Indeedeth, CaptainSteve.

The bases haveth been sliced from a spare piece of 10mm dowel. The edges o’ each Our Hero didst file to maketh the angle for the sides.
post-675-0-56407100-1420803098_thumb.jpg

“I didst cutteth a great number of slats, and thence taper and spileth each …” he continued.
post-675-0-72098400-1420803106_thumb.jpg

The slats were laideth out upon masking tape …
post-675-0-88930700-1420803115_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-51672700-1420803123_thumb.jpg

… and thence folded into a circle, using the end of a pen to help formeth the shape.
post-675-0-05713100-1420803132_thumb.jpg

(A white colouration in the bottom o' me buckets doth giveth away me secret: a generous drop of PVA after the circular base hath been fitted doth hold all in place.)

“Thinly sliced strips o’ masking tape (painted black), and rope handles I didst addeth to me buckets,” Our Hero didst explaineth. 

post-675-0-31469300-1420803139_thumb.jpg

And, finally, The List as it currently stands …
post-675-0-43214200-1420803146_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Micro surgery!!!,I like it

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hey CaptainSteve,

Well you've been a busy little beaver this week! I love the buckets. Now what be fillin' those buckets?

Matt

A-fore he be heading back to work for the week, Our Hero didst spendeth a little time this weekend a-wroughting.

“Here be me grapnel which I didst make using the Kit-Basher’s example by GSM,” CaptainSteve didst sayeth. “This is the second one I were to maketh, for the first were not to successfully pass through Quality Control.”

The Liver of Sulphur only gave the brass a very light tinge o’ colouration …

post-675-0-14692000-1420980498_thumb.jpg

“Those wi' a keen eye,” Our Hero was heard to intone, “may notice one o’ the grapnel tines doth be remiss. This actually be-eth in accordance wi’ Bligh’s log entry which be dated 3rd May, 1789,” he were to explain. "This didst occureth shortly after the party fled the island of Tofoa under native attack."

And here be the grapnel after a little touch-up dry-brushing using matt black and dark brown …

post-675-0-51843400-1420980500_thumb.jpg

“Next to me blackened anchor,” CaptainSteve didst pointeth out, “be the kit supplied version.”

Our Hero still be yet to add a rope unto the anchor …
“I wish to serve-eth me anchor cable,” he were to add. But, forsooth, although he didst searcheth both High and Low, he was to discovereth that he hath run out of thin black thread !!

“Never fear !!! An order didst I placeth with the fine folks at the Syren Ship Company,” CaptainSteve didst concludeth.
“It shall be here any day now, o' that I be sure !!”

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

Beautiful work on your grapnel! I wonder if there be any seaweed still on her?

Matt