Syborn by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - 1:33 - trawler

I'm always afraid that these dowels may warp over time and therefore hesitate using them.  Have you or anyone else encountered warping of DIY store dowels?

I have been gluing up slats and make my own dowels just to prevent that.  It's a lot of extra work but it eases my mind.  I still have many mast pieces and yards to make for my VOC model you see, that's why the question.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Piet,

I bought a "tub" of dowels that are varying sizes in diameter and about  12" long from Dollar General a few years ago.  None have warped although I haven't shaped any either.  Right now, using them as place holders for things.    I also have one the 3 foot long ones from Michaels that 3/4" diameter. Had it about 5 years and hasn't warped yet.  

Just make sure you get straight grained one(s) as many of the ones I see lately are warped and bent.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I buy the three foot dowels.  I find some warped in the bin but the straight ones I buy stay straight.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks Mark and Bob for those encouraging words.  That'll make life a little easier for me.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm kinda picky about them........it's like going to Home Depot and looking for straight 2x4's   you can also look in the arts and craft isles and find packages of them...all different sizes.    or........if your lucky,  there are the assorted packs that can be found.   I wish I could find the packages of the assorted brass bits that they used to sell........I kick myself still for not buying them when I saw them  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

finally......back at the table.   I had ordered some planking for the aft deck........it hasn't come in yet.   so fine.........I'll start on the other end......the bow.    I drilled a couple of holes for the anchors in the wells...I'll get 'em fitted soon enough.   seeing that I have what I need for the railings,  I'll start here.   I have an idea for a stairway to the fore deck.   to do it though,  the railings need to be set up first.   I want to make them all in one piece......so I began to drill holes and laying out the stanchions.

post-612-0-59270600-1458355060_thumb.jpg

these are 15 mm 3 hole stanchions.   from that roll of MIG wire that I got,  I cut eight pieces 18 inches long and two pieces 12 inches long......that equates to quite a bit.......I'll be able to do the entire ship and then some  ;)

post-612-0-65830900-1458355204_thumb.jpg

the bottom rail is going to have to be cut at the bow tip....it's in the way.

post-612-0-54778700-1458355297_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-98620400-1458355310_thumb.jpg

the starboard side needs enough to go past the companionway.......I'll need to lay a border to raise it up to the hull borders.   the port side will just be a short section from there.   I can terminate this side once I do it.   this wire is a bit tougher than I originally thought......but not enough to deter me from using it.   I had to take it apart and flatten the wire out.......it got very unruly at times.   once I reassembled it,  it went much better,  and I was able to get it to this point.

post-612-0-61786100-1458355702_thumb.jpg

since this last picture,  the stanchions have been fastened and the piece at the bow has been cut out.  the last stanchion has been added and fixed on the port side,  so now I'm at the point of making the necessary bends.  I need to think about making the stairway now  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Denis

It must be a good feeling to be able to work on your Syborn, even though you're still waiting for the planks.

I gotta say, as well, that those stanchions and railings look great!

Nicely done.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Great guardrails mate; they really look the goods!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Bow looks great Denis.  I like the shape of those stanchions as well...seem to fit really well with this type of ship.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Denis

Lovely scratch build you making . I think you have big susses in criating your ship ower the frams of  the Mary Ann. i too have build the Mary Ann . And that one i spesaly enjoyed building as it was ritch in details and it was my first rc. model .

Happy buildings 

Cheers 

Jens

thanks to everyone.....and those who hit the like button.   the three rung rail looks good on this vessel.......I do kinda wish they were a bit higher.   as you might know,  Billing Boats has been sold to another company.  so far,  I don't know who....but the new website was due to be available March 1st....so far I haven't seen it.   I get my parts from Billing USA,  which is now a sub division of Ages of sail.......they are still running Tom's old site.  Tom even posted a couple of condensed build logs,  of a couple of my builds,  on this site.   I'm glad and proud that they are still available for folks to see.   due to what going on at the moment,  I'm sure Roger's supply of Billing's goods,  is starting to wain.  hopefully,  the new revived company will be up and running soon.   I got my order today,  so the aft deck can be planked........I really pleased about that.  :)    unfortunately,  it will have to wait for my work week to be over.

thanks Jens  :)   this build is the other half of my initial experiment in replicating hulls.  The Mary Ann is the same hull used in the Cux 87 kit...it's what gave me the idea.   I saved the parts panels for the hull and made two hull frames from it.  in the scratch build gallery,  you can see the M&M Fun Ship....that was the first hull frame.  with the Syborn,  I duplicated bulkheads to make the ship longer........it's about 100 mm longer than the Mary Ann.  I did the same with the Boulogne Etaples kit,  to create the Holiday harbor boats.   sad that one of them broke away to become the Andrea Gail........but I'm very happy with it,  since I had thoughts about the A.G. when I built the Boulogne frame....the A.G. turned out just like I thought it would  ;)    I have another experiment in the works,  but my present roster keeps me from bringing them out.  soon......very soon.  it should be very interesting.  I hope you follow along.......I love the work your doing.

hello John......pleased to see you here.  love the work your doing on the river tug...hope to see more soon  :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 - 16 - 2012

The keel had to be remeasured to allow for the extra ribs.   I also had to adjust the spacing for them as well.

attachicon.gif#1.JPG

attachicon.gif#2.JPG

attachicon.gif#3.JPG

attachicon.gif#4.JPG

As the ribs were cemented in place,  I found alternate means to insure that they were straight.  I don't have a build slip......just my trusty pine board.

attachicon.gif#5.JPG

attachicon.gif#6.JPG

attachicon.gif#7.JPG

attachicon.gif#8.JPG

attachicon.gif#9.JPG

attachicon.gif#10.JPG

attachicon.gif#11.JPG

attachicon.gif#12.JPG

attachicon.gif#13.JPG

attachicon.gif#14.JPG

attachicon.gif#15.JPG

everything went well,  but I wasn't too happy with the bulwark posts.......I can always fix them later.

So that is what a frame should look like? Who knew..lol  Good job Popeye!

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

I can't see the pictures........but I remember them  ;)     I wish I was better with the scroll saw........it was a new piece of equipment.

thanks Keith!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You'll have quite the fishing fleet by the end of this process mate and jump over to the MM for a bit of R&R :)

Interesting concept re variations of the same hull base.

cheers

Pat

that was the gist of the initial experiment.   if by 'MM' you were referring to the M&M boat.......that was to be another shrimping boat.  the trawler was {and is} the third.   the second experiment kinda misses the goal.....although the Andrea Gail was a wonderful turn of events.   I'll be doing a comparison soon with the four hulls,  just to show how they've all progressed.   this process is great for the person who don't have a lot of cash....replicating hulls is a good way to get your money's worth from a kit.

the goal that I speak of,  would be a multi build of all known ships.   it's not hard to take hulls and outfit them the way you want.  I have another project coming up......I made two other hulls from the original one.  they will all be known ships........at 1:65 scale.  they will all be of known ships......should be interesting when I get to it.

thanks Pat for the kind word,  I'm glad your enjoying the build  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

I'm really looking forward to seeing the family shot, for sure.  Having the four sisters in one place would be a treat, not only from the perspective of how they've progressed, but also, because it'd be a wonderful testament to how your innovative and creative thinking has developed over time.

I also can't wait to see what your next project is **hint hint***.

All the best

Cheers

Patrick

when I do Patrick......I'll post it in the Holiday harbor build.....fitting,  I suppose ;)     I had an interesting thought about the Tree Boat.......now I can't wait to get on with the deck work.   I'll dig up the earlier comparison ..........you'll see.......gotta wait  ;)

thanks for the good word my friend!  :)

*hint*..........soon.........and I hope it sooner than I think  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I made some more progress with the trawler.........I would have done more,  but I got a call to cover the night shift at the airport.   I had to stop.........mid thought  :(    here is what I've done so far.............

I had gone a bit further with the railings,  than what I had left off with.   I had put the railing back in place,  and then trimmed out the bottom rung at the bow tip.   it sat much better once I did that.   without taking a picture,  I removed the railings again and laid the border along the bulkhead behind the companionway.

post-612-0-43494400-1458705910_thumb.jpg

with the railings back in place,  you can see how I trimmed the bottom rung.

post-612-0-69624000-1458706248_thumb.jpg

and the new border is populated with the railings.

post-612-0-28999600-1458706321_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-14934100-1458706362_thumb.jpg

I did get my order from Billing USA.......I got it on Saturday.   I got some more 15 mm,  three hole stanchions,  two different sizes of pulley reels,  and the aft deck planking

post-612-0-89182300-1458706660_thumb.jpg

so,  now I have three different sizes of pulley reels.......4 mm,  6 mm,  and 8 mm

post-612-0-36637700-1458706768_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so now it's a toss up........do I want to plank the aft deck......or continue what I'm doing here?   I have a neat idea going....so I'll just continue.   I had finished assembling the top landing for the stairway.

post-612-0-73726900-1458707359_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-91308300-1458707373_thumb.jpg

the underside of the landing was boxed in,  so I can add some supports to it.  now that I had the size of the landing figured out,  I could add the other side of the fore deck border,  on the deck.   it's just fitted in place for now.

post-612-0-98477200-1458707544_thumb.jpg

I had bought that package of small diameter dowels......they will make the perfect supports for the landing.   I even added in some bracing.

post-612-0-17133200-1458707673_thumb.jpg

after I added in the front support brace and the borders for the railings, it was sanded and dry fit.   clean it up a bit more and it will get paint.

post-612-0-43165800-1458708122_thumb.jpg

the border on the fore deck was painted and cemented in place.

post-612-0-10705900-1458708166_thumb.jpg

holes were drilled.......the railings on the starboard side were bent to follow the companion way.   these will continue on and around the landing.   the post side will terminate at the end of the run.

post-612-0-30310300-1458708400_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-24314000-1458708416_thumb.jpg

I sorta goofed a little on the port side.......I did manage to straighten it out a little,  but the turn of the railing is not perfect.  

I think to fix it further might cause a bigger problem.......so I'll leave it the way it is for now  {or until it bugs me enough to fix it}.   the landing is painted and put back in place to check where to drill the rest of the holes for the railings.

post-612-0-29543000-1458708743_thumb.jpg

I'd have gone further,  but >sigh<  it was time to go to work.   more tomorrow  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello John........always good to see you  :)   thanks for the good word.   in the last picture,  you can see how I adjusted the port  corner of the railings.  it passes in my book  ;)     thanks again  :)     

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Popeye, very clean looking build, everything thing nice and straight. I'm jealous..lol

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

thanks Keith and Patrick......and all who hit the like button.   it's working out well that I've been able to keep the railings as a 1 piece 'part'.   I did go a little bit further,  before I left to go to the airport........I forgot to snap a shot.   there will be more to it,  but here is the basis of my idea.

post-612-0-09261600-1458737503_thumb.jpg

I have some model railroad siding for structures.   it's got rows of tiny ripples,  like aluminum siding......I thought it would look good as a non slip surface........like grating or something like that.   I plan to do the treads on the stairs with it,  but make the pattern go across the tread.   should I paint it to more of a deck color,  or something?

post-612-0-94931500-1458737782_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-71935900-1458737798_thumb.jpg

I will add something to the outside edge of the stairs.......some type of railing.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

No stopping you now mate; good progress with some excellent details - looks great"!

cheers

Pat

thanks Pat.......and all who hit the like button.   I put the stairs like that to save on deck space........and it will make that bulkhead wall look busy  ;)

appreciate the good word!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye

If I was ever able to make a frame like that I would stop right there and display it by my front door..lol.  Looks great !  very nice job.

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

most kits will produce a hull frame like this.   I have hardly any experience in making frame using Cad or similar programs,  so this is the best method for me.  thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Amazing, Denis !!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic