Halifax 1768 by MEDDO - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - 1/4" scale

Those planks look great! I get the same trouble when I plank also. Sandpaper is my best friend.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

While it's difficult to avoid some unevenness in the planking, you might find it easier to use scale length planks, rather than long pieces. The shorter planks are easier to shape and control. Beveling one edge of the planks can also help with this problem. I'm sure it will be fine with some sanding.

Bob

Thanks everyone for the likes.

Those planks look great! I get the same trouble when I plank also. Sandpaper is my best friend.

Yes! Where would I be without sandpaper????

While it's difficult to avoid some unevenness in the planking, you might find it easier to use scale length planks, rather than long pieces. The shorter planks are easier to shape and control. Beveling one edge of the planks can also help with this problem. I'm sure it will be fine with some sanding.

Bob

I did think about using some scale plank lengths but I seem to remember when I did that a while ago I did have some not so good results with the ends not coming together well.  I decided at least for this one I would run it in one piece as per the instructions.  Also completely forgot to bevel the edge of the planks...

Aren't those planks glued to each other side by side?  If they are, I think you can hold them at the same level by holding each plank next to the formeer one ...with a cloth peg, provided the planks have previously been tapered, beveled, and if necessary bent sideways.

Thanks for stopping by Jean-Pierre.  I did edge glue the planks together as well as I could but I forgot/didn't remember to bevel them.  The instructions said to edge glue them with CA but I am trying to avoid that as much as possible and am just using regular weldbond.  I will look into a way to hold each plank at same level.

For me it looks neat and clean. Keep on the good work.

Thanks Richard.  Everyday a little bit more learning a little bit more experience.

Hi Michael.

Excellent build :)

I do like these fully framed models. They give a whole new look to the process of models ship building.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Great work, great build, nicest of kits. Luck on u! Admired on the quality of it so far. ^^

Michael - I just found your log. I can't believe that you are jumping into a fully framed model with only 2 or 3 kits under your belt. And you are doing a wonderful job. I will continue to follow your build.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks Floyd.  I also can't believe I am jumping into this one so soon in my modeling career.  A little while ago when I was started to re-ignite the interest I was talking to my wife and we were looking at what I had "on the shelf".  I had a partially completed (5-10%) MS Constitution (which had some shipping damage from a few moves and a daughters foot), The Halifax, Mamoli Rattlesnake, and a LSS Fair American.

The wife voted for the Halifax because "it's small".  The idea the Constitution was "larger" so it would be harder. :o  Haha!  She really liked the way the Halifax model looked.  She basically said "every time we goto Baltimore you make me go see a big black ship with a white stripe (USS Constellation), how about a ship without black and white stripes."  

I read the instructions and studied the plans and basically "went for it".  Basically I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best...

p.s. and learning form all the wonderful build here

Absolutely incredible work Michael. Definitely anxious to see more!!!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

LOL, Does your wife really understand that often larger is actually easier? Well good luck and I will be following your progress.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Planking is finished.  I think my template was off a bit as the aft gun ports are framed a bit high.  I am going to have to really look ahead and decide what top do with it.  Preliminary thought is I can just sand them down to the correct hight but before I do that I really have to make sure it won't affect anything else.

post-12080-0-49027600-1401039938_thumb.jpg

Next step is to release the model from the jig. Woot!  It seems like a huge milestone.

Nice Michael, be interesting to see her out of the Jig.

As for your problems with plank creep, it because you are edge bending wood in a way that it's not designed to be, spiling off is the only way to get planks to lay correctly and it's really not that difficult to learn, there are a few planking tutorials on the site that you should look at.

Ben

Ben, I haven't had too much of a problem with the planking this time.  I think the first plank pointed up a bit mainly because I wasn't looking for this problem at the time.  It has come out ok though. Next time I will be a bit more attentive.  

I almost want to make a practice hull of some sort to try out the planking techniques I have read about here and in the books.  Maybe now that I have finished the planking here I will stat a side build of something like the pinnace or the longboat.  Those seem to have a bit of planking to them :)

So here is a question for you...

Now that I am done with the planking for this ship, eventually I will try to plank something else.  I have found the articles on the front page of this website and read them all.  It seems fairly logical and not too difficult.  

My question is.  Is there a way to practice this easily?  Is there some kit or way that you can inexpensively practice planking.  I was thinking about the MS Longboat or the Pinnace as there seems to be many here building them as either main build or side builds to complement a larger ship.  Would there be anything else.  

Here is my very first build, the Midwest Indian Girl canoe

post-12080-0-82167500-1401121390_thumb.jpgpost-12080-0-68664400-1401121389_thumb.jpg

I didn't know anything about beveling/spilling/tapering etc....  The planks were almost square to start with.  The outside is satin smooth, and the inside... is not.

With the Halifax I am on the finish sanding and wipe on poly stage prior to releasing from the building board.

Michael - I strongly recommend the Longboat or Pinnace. I chose to build the Longboat for the same reasons as you. I want to finally overcome my planking issues. My club bought the Longboat for $32 each including shipping. It is a great platform to use to improve your skills. Having said all of this I would suggest that if you have already reached this stage with the Halifax you may not need the experience as much as I do.

Also I am having lots of fun working with Boxwood. I am sure you will too when it arrives.

I definitely have an issue with planking and need to learn. The longboat looks like an excellent way to do that. Before I was moving all over the country for a few years my Constitution stalled at the planking stage. I have the stem back on and repaired and one day will get back to it.

I think I know what happened to the rear gunport frames.  When I was removing the frames I cut "above" the line from he template.  Unfortunately I went away from the table for some reason (maybe overnight), I don't know.  Anyway when I went back to place the frames I neglected to sand the remaining frame down to the proper level.  Resulting in the rear gun port being to "high".  I cannot see any problems upcoming because of this.  I think will have to address this once I am putting in the deck support structure.  Otherwise things going well.  I'm off to cut it out of the jig.... Wish me luck

Nice Michael, she looks great out of the crib!

As for planking practice, if that's all you really want to do, just buy a cheap kit and have at it, it's all just practice and finding a way that you are comfortable with to get the desired results.

Ben

Nice to see the baby emerge from the crib Michael. I hope your gunport issue gets resolved to your satisfaction.