Halifax 1768 by MEDDO - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - 1/4" scale

Some great progress there Michael. I'll bet you're looking forward to releasing her from the jig!

Michael, the stern and transom framing looks outstanding!!! Great work so far.

Thanks :) I have learned so much even doing this "simple" kit version.

Some great progress there Michael. I'll bet you're looking forward to releasing her from the jig!

Releasing from the jig is going to be a huge milestone.  Getting the wales and some planking on there is going to strengthen the structure so much.  I will also have enough space to fair the insides a bit.

Looking really good Michael.

Bob

Thanks! 

Looks great! I built Halifax as my first model. I think you learn a lot from POF. Halifax was a wonderful build. Enjoy! If you bought the kit from LSS you can still access Bob's forum. which he maintains even though he no longer produces the kit.  Shame about Royal. They were nice kits

Best

Jaxboat

Looks great! I built Halifax as my first model. I think you learn a lot from POF. Halifax was a wonderful build. Enjoy! If you bought the kit from LSS you can still access Bob's forum. which he maintains even though he no longer produces the kit.  Shame about Royal. They were nice kits

Best

Jaxboat

Thanks for stopping by. So far this has been a great fun build. I really wish I had picked up a Kingfisher kit when I had the chance. I may check into the LSS forums. This site has been so informative and positive I haven't needed to go anywhere else yet.

The next step was a hard one.  Adding the wales.  I found out that I did not leave a large enough rabbit at the bow to put the end of the wale plank into.  I had to carve out a small notch to be able to get the wale in place.

post-12080-0-52355400-1399702484_thumb.jpg

With a bit of soaking in water and then steaming in my kettle I was able to form the bend of the wale.

post-12080-0-41423800-1399702483_thumb.jpg

So I think I found the "wall side" and the "room side" of the model.  

post-12080-0-75179200-1399702480_thumb.jpg

Not a bad first attempt.

post-12080-0-44824700-1399702964_thumb.jpg

Forget the wall/room side of things. It's looking great all around Michael!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Forget the wall/room side of things. It's looking great all around Michael!

Thanks! I think the starboard wale has a kinda sharp bend in it. It is not too noticeable and will be able to smoothed out a bit when planking.

Ben, thanks for stopping by.   I am just south of the Dayton mall.  I was wondering if there was any clubs or other people near by.  I know of the one in Columbus.  I think they are having a show/competition thing in a few months and was planning to get up there to take a look.

Good grief.  I was born and raised in Dayton. I guess one of these days I need to schedule a trip to visit my parents and try to meet up with you guys.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sounds like we're shaping up for a visit to a tavern!  :cheers:

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

This could get REAL interesting................

Don't forget to take the camera! Incriminating evidence to be enjoyed discretely among just the 11,000 or so MSW members. ;)

Hi Micheal.

A really nice build. Excellent workmanship.

The frames look spot on and the colour of the timber is real nice.

Please keep on posting your build log.. Waiting on the next instalment.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Ben, Mark, and Patrick sounds like a tavern is a great idea.

Grant, HA! Cameras are everywhere :)

Antony, Will be updating soon.  Unfortunately I have hit a few massive overtime weeks here at work.  Should be back soon.  Thanks for stopping by.

So baby steps.  Getting some time in and was able to place the stern side window.

I planked a bit of the stern first.

post-12080-0-23936300-1400303252_thumb.jpg

then measured for the window

post-12080-0-13161000-1400303251_thumb.jpg

then.....

post-12080-0-25083700-1400303250_thumb.jpg

ouch...

post-12080-0-03205800-1400303253_thumb.jpg

and i guess it doesn't look too bad

post-12080-0-82156600-1400303253_thumb.jpg

and i guess it doesn't look too bad

Are you kidding me?!?!?! It looks great!!!

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Are you kidding me?!?!?! It looks great!!!

Thanks. After looking at all the builds here it still amazes me that some of these things are made if wood. The clean neat edges and perfect sanding are definately something to aspire to.

Getting back in the shipyard.  Starting to plank the side.  Needed to bend the planks so after soaking in a glass of water for a 20 or so minutes I gently bent the planks and then clamped them on this container 2 at a time.

post-12080-0-19679700-1400528970_thumb.jpg

Laying the first plank and gluing/clamping.

post-12080-0-98771500-1400528977_thumb.jpg

So it is much more noticeable now that I have the first plank layer, that the wale and the planks are not quite horizontal to the waterline.  They kinda point up right at the bow. 

post-12080-0-96050900-1400528976_thumb.jpg

I am going to try to lessen this with a bit of plank narrowing by sanding on each of the next 4 planks.

The planking is looking great so far Michael. Planking is one of my favorite parts of a build. I'm looking forward to seeing the next four planks.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thanks Patrick.  I always have a bit of trouble with planking because no matter how careful I am, it always seems to stair step a bit on me.  But I guess that is what sand paper is for eh?

post-12080-0-15090000-1400634443_thumb.jpg

post-12080-0-99100500-1400634443_thumb.jpg

post-12080-0-47753000-1400634447_thumb.jpg

Will try to get some of the sanding done tonight.