Ship of the Line - National Maritime Museum publication

For those you who enjoyed the National Maritime Museum's first publication The Sailing Frigate check out the next volume in their series The Ship of the Line: History in Ship Models. Looks like another winner. Pre-order from Amazon.com if you like:

http://www.amazon.com/Ship-Line-History-Models/dp/1848322143/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398638747&sr=1-14&keywords=ship+model

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Is there any book like this, that you can use to read more about internals of such ships, look on some reference pictures, etc? 

I understand there are lots of them, but which ones are considered good?

Will definitely buy that book, but it's coming in the end of the summer..

Mike,

If it's just plans showing the internals, etc.,  the "Anatomy of a Ship" books are very good. 

There's also Lavery's "Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815"

There's others with some very deep coverage including plans and building instructions such as Antscherl's "The Fully Framed Model: Swan Class Sloops", Ed Tosti's "Naiad" and Yedlinksy's "HMS Euryalus".  Seawatch Books has these and others.

For French Ships, there's ANCRE and all their related books.

Basically, you spend large piles of money on books.... :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And if you want to get really serious then Steels Naval architecture 1805 or the Shipbuilders repository are full of info and tables for all types of ships of that era, however rare and very expensive, especially with the plates.

Ben

• 5 months later...

No pre-order anymore. Amazon just mailed that book is not available and there is no ETA.

The amazon page itself says "Out of Print--Limited Availability."

http://www.amazon.com/Ship-Line-History-Models/dp/1848322143

Does anybody have any info?

Hi

If you look at the publishers website - they are offering pre-order and a publishing date at the end of the year (31st December 2014)

regards

Andrew

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Ship-of-the-Line-Hardback/p/7076

"The Ship of the Line"

A History in Ship Models

By Brian Lavery
seaforth_mini_long.gif
Pages: 128
ISBN: 9781848322141
Published: 30th December 2014

The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich houses the largest collection of scale ship models in the world, many of which are official, contemporary artefacts made by the craftsmen of the navy or the shipbuilders themselves, and ranging from the mid seventeenth century to the present day. As such they represent a three-dimensional archive of unique importance and authority. Treated as historical evidence, they offer more detail than even the best plans, and demonstrate exactly what the ships looked like in a way that even the finest marine painter could not achieve.
The Ship of the Line is the second of a new series that takes selections of the best models to tell the story of specific ship types – in this case, the evolution of the ship of the line, the capital ship of its day, and the epitome of British seapower during its heyday from 1650–1850. This period too coincided with the golden age of ship modelling.
Each volume depicts a wide range of models, all shown in full colour, including many close-up and detail views. These are captioned in depth, but many are also annotated to focus attention on interesting or unusual features, and the book weaves the pictures into an authoritative text, producing a unique form of technical history.
The series is of particular interest to ship modellers, but all those with an enthusiasm for the ship design and development in the sailing era will attracted to the in-depth analysis of these beautifully presented books.

• 3 weeks later...

I am devouring the Frigate version of this book, recently published. If the Ship of the Line book is anything like the Frigate book it will certainly be a Must Have. The Sailing Frigate A History in Ship Models by Robert Gardener 128 page hardcover with luscious high quality color photos covers the history of the development of this class of vessel from the 1600's through the 1850's. The author takes you through the design philosophy and political considerations that caused frigates to pass through different incarnations. Its a great source of information and worth the price for the wonderful photos alone. I am really looking forward to the Ship of the Line version of the book and hope it will not be long delayed.

Niagara USS Constitution 

It's back on Amazon for Dec 15th. http://www.amazon.com/Ship-Line-History-Models/dp/1591141877

Looks good but I may order the The Sailing Frigate first.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 2 months later...

Appears that the book is finally available for shipping next week:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591141877/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Received my copy.

The book is very very close to "The Sailing Frigate", discussed in http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8953-the-sailing-frigate-by-robert-gardiner/

Same series, same format. Some models in the book are also the same.

But it is a good addition. Definitely a good reading and an overview, but do not expect a very deep description of the ship anatomy. 

Lots of nice model photos!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my copy today and all I can say its worth the purchase. The only thing (and I think its been said before) is that its a mystery why the made the book small in its dimensions. With the amazing pictures of ship models that it possesses I would think they would have made the book bigger. Either than that.. I would highly recommend buying the book. There is a pic of every ship you could imagine. A excellent cross section and detail photos of the things you would like to see

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Just received my copy of The Ship of the Line. I had completely forgotten I bought the Frigate one several months ago. Now I will have double pleasure. :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!