HMS Diana 1794 by Ray - FINISHED - Caldercraft - A 38 gun Heavy Frigate

Hi Ray,

Whenever you’ll get to the fitting of the top deck, just a word of caution. There are 2 sorts of cavel cleats ( parts 114& 115 ) . The “open bulwark”-version might require to shorten the latter and the horizontal one seems necessary in the belaying plan. At least , if my understanding is correct.

As you can see -in combination with the eyebolts for the rigging of the guns- it’s a bit narrow in that area.

post-412-0-30482200-1373215594_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Thanks Christian for the info I will keep that in the memory bank, I had it in mind some juggling with the rigging and gun tackle might have to take place and decided it was one of those bridges you have to cross when you get to it. Just finshed plating and fitting the rudder so main gun deck next.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

The Rudder

Now the hull coppering is complete the only plating left to do is copper plate the rudder, but before that it needed sanding down, tapering it to about 3mm.

Coppering the rudder was probably the most fiddly part of all the coppering. When done the pintails were glued into position on the rudder I glued both parts on and then marked where they came on the keel post and then drilled it, then I added the straps to the rudder and cyano fix the rudder to the post and added the other straps to the hull, and to finish off painted the straps with copper paint.

First few plates on

post-10-0-46729400-1402249219_thumb.jpg

A few more plates added

post-10-0-28905800-1402249218_thumb.jpg

Plated and ready to fit

post-10-0-66806900-1402249220_thumb.jpg

Rudder completed

post-10-0-58585000-1402249221_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-53671300-1402249222_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-60753400-1402249223_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-55699200-1402249224_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Nice work Ray, it's very satisfying when it all comes together, well done mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Ray,

Happy birthday mate, here's hoping you have a great day doing what you want to do.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

All the best.  Have a great day and many, many, more birthdays.

Mort  

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Top notch work as always, Ray, the coppering and quartergalleries look fantastic! :)

Edit: Oh my, I think I need new glasses as I have somehow missed the others' posts,

Happy Happy Birthday, Ray, this calls for some champagne! :champagne:

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Many thanks guys for all the birthday best wishes.

I have started work on the guns for the main deck there is a lot of work involved with them I will post a interim update soon.

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

I almost missed it... Happy Birthday, Ray.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ray, I've been working on Diana since 2002 or so, might say I'm a bit slow. As noted by so many others, you're doing a fantastic job. I wish you had started a few years earlier because there are a number of solutions you've invented that I could have used. It's been so long since I bought the kit that I have a question for you. How many plan sheets does your kit have? Mine has six and I'm wondering if there shouldn't be more. By the way, when you get there, there are errors on the mast and yard sheet (sheet 3). For example, the drawn lengths of the masts and spars don't match the actual dimensions in millimeters printed on the sheet.

Look forward to hearing from you.

John

I bought my Diana kit about 6 years ago and I too have only 6 sheets of plans.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi John & mort

I bought my kit only about 7 months ago and it came with 6 sheets of plans. John I had a look at sheet 3 ( I am a long way off the masts) and as you say the drawing size and the size stated in mm do not match ??? I have the anatomy of ships Diana so will look into converting the 1/96 drawings into 1/64 ( there are some charts to help) and use that figure, I wonder which is correct the drawing or the size in mm, thanks for the heads up.

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

The Gun Deck

The guns

I decided to try blackening the barrels rather than as in the previous builds painting them.

1st attempt I tried a blackening agent supplied by a well known model shop it was a complete failure after cleaning the test barrels I tried a 50/50 solution watched it and after 40 minutes nothing added the rest of the bottle and again after a further 30 nothing more than a slight discolouration.

2nd attempt this was with Birchwood Casey brass black, another failure, it did give a sort of blackening but it was very patchy and after washing it rubbed off.

At this point I gave up with the blackening, re-cleaned up the test barrels and went back to my previous method, I used a matt black aerosol spray and did 6 at a time giving them 5 or 6 very light coats and selected the very best ones for the guns that will be seen although there were no bad ones.

The carriages were made up using the jig as in the photo, painted and the rigging eyes, and rings added, I made them up in stages, and in-between working on them made up some of the deck fittings I find this a way of making the repetitious parts not tedious, I rigged the breech rope over the top to simulate it going through the cascable ring as shown in The Anatomy of Ships I fully rigged two guns and mounted them laying the breech rope as in the book, also this also allowed me to work out the position of the rope coils at the end of the tackle.

Now back to assembling and rigging the rest of the guns.

The axle jig

post-10-0-41645000-1402248732_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-29668100-1402248736_thumb.jpg

Ready for the wheels and barrels

post-10-0-29604500-1402248737_thumb.jpg

Breech rope on

post-10-0-45416000-1402248734_thumb.jpg

Fully rigged

post-10-0-43954800-1402248735_thumb.jpg

Bulwark rings

post-10-0-31009600-1402248739_thumb.jpg

Rigging as in book

post-10-0-27318900-1402248738_thumb.jpg

Two guns mounted on the gun deck

post-10-0-33753400-1402248740_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-29877000-1402248741_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-62712300-1402248733_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Those guns look good ray. Also the rope coils are looking neat so far.

I've had the same issues with brass blackener but got it to work last time by cleaning the parts I acetone, then water, then dipping them ina water/ blackener mix that had been slightly heated first (microwave,but be careful) and then sat in a hot sink of water to keep it warm. It took a couple of goes to build up the blackness but it worked eventually.

The side rails

I masked at the top of the waist side rail and at the bottom of the sheer rail and painted royal blue in-between I the added the rails, making sure to leave spaces for the channels and fenders, I decided to leave the rest of the rails until after the top deck goes on, and I have worked out the position quarterdeck bulwark at how high it will be.

Painted section

post-10-0-18614500-1375219380_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-34935100-1375219423_thumb.jpg

Sheer rail going on

post-10-0-70190700-1375219492_thumb.jpg

Gap for channel

post-10-0-16561100-1375219526_thumb.jpg

Both rails on

post-10-0-39055400-1375219555_thumb.jpg

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Hi Ray

Good to see you working again in a beautiful ship. Las I heard you were about to get a knee replacement, did you?

If so, how do you feel with it? I found the gallery for your Pegasus and I most say you did a fantastic job,it is a fine ship.

I just started mine a couple of weeks ago and I am loving it. Although for now I had to stop as I broke a hand and I can not do any work,

It is kind of frustrating but no choice other than patiently weight.

I just went through your log on the Diana and again you are doing great work. She looks beautiful.

It will be nice to follow your log again.

Best regards

Polo

Hi Ray,

She's looking real good mate, well done and keep it up.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Polo

My Knee replacement was carried out 5 months ago and it is going ok vey very painful at first but improving all the time, I can play 9 holes of golf now. One good thing is it has given me a lot more building time, even though some of it is when I cannot sleep (due to the knee). I hope your hand heals well so you can get back to Pegasus.

Ray

Completed  HMS Diana

Hi Ray, I have just bought the Diana kit and am currently trying to source a copy of the Anatomy of the ship Diana book, if you know where to get it could you let me know? I am also interested in the errors on the drawings, would you please post your findings once you clear this up.

Thanks

Gary