Where to find 28 gauge black wire?

I've been reading Chuck's article on Techniques For Modeling Yard Details.  He uses 28 gauge black wire for foot ropes.

I haven't been able to find anyone who carries this wire.  I checked Model Expo.  I also checked Amazon who carries something called "Artistic Wire" but the black is glossy which probably wouldn't look to good.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Dave

Current build:    Rattlesnake - 1780  Model Shipways

Builds:               Mare Nostrum  1:35  Artesania Latina

Cutty Sark  (I believe it was an AL kit)

davespindlephotography.com

I bought beading wire in various gauges from Michaels that came in black.  The black coloring did have a tendency to scratch off but it was easy to touch up with a little black paint.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Try your local hardware store.  If they don’t have it McMaster Carr has it.  They call it:  1008 Carbon Steel—Black-Oxide Finish .014 dia.   http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-wire/=sltk0h

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Dave,

You can also order it from BlueJacket. They have black annealed steel wire from 22 gauge to 34 gauge including the 28-gauge you're looking for. But, all wire you get is going to be shiny unless you brush or spray on some kind of dull coat. 

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I got mine from the Dick Blick art store http://www.dickblick.com/products/ook-dark-annealed-specialty-wire/ . 100ft for $1.89, which will keep me going for a while - of course I still need to learn how to make the hooks :)

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

As Cap'n Bob has indicated, try your local hardware store.  Even if they don't have black, you could get the galvanized or brass and blacken it chemically or with paint.

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

For an alternative to wire, I used black thread and CA to stiffen it. For the stirrups I knotted the end of the thread around a headless small finishing nail. Then I hit the knot with CA. After snipping the end of the thread off this gave m a great stirrup with an eye to thread the foot ropes through. Then I took the black thread stiffened it with a small amount of CA and threaded it through. Once wrapped in place another small amount of CA and it was complete. You could use alternative glues for stiffening and attaching, but for the eye, I would stick to CA. 

I copied this technique from another modeler on the web - so I can't take credit for it, but it worked well for me.

Anyway, this worked for me.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Here is a photo of my rigged spars for the Constitution. This is the Mamoli kit 1:93 scale. These were taken on the paper I painted them on so there is a lot of back splatter but this is the only one I have of them together. These were done with the black thread method.

post-10450-0-32260600-1403977527_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Thanks, everyone for the great sources, I really appreciate it!  And Robnbill, thanks as well for the black thread method...that a good idea.  I'd like to see if diluted Titebond would work as well for the foot ropes rather than CA.

Dave

Current build:    Rattlesnake - 1780  Model Shipways

Builds:               Mare Nostrum  1:35  Artesania Latina

Cutty Sark  (I believe it was an AL kit)

davespindlephotography.com

like I previously mentioned I used wire stripped from a redundant phone extension cable, it's free & you can experiment as much as you like,not only that but I am "Tight Fisted" as well ! Geoff

Edited by geoff

Thanks, everyone for the great sources, I really appreciate it!  And Robnbill, thanks as well for the black thread method...that a good idea.  I'd like to see if diluted Titebond would work as well for the foot ropes rather than CA.

David,

Black thread coated with diluted PVA (egvTitebond) works very well.

• 1 year later...

If you have a draw plate with one wire gauge at the large end, you can draw the wire to any gauge that the plate has a hole for.  It would be regular copper or brass wire since no coating will survive the process.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers