Oh Dear! Mamoli Puritan 1:50

Like the title says...  Oh dear.    Just snapped up a Mamoli Puritan 1:50 on ebay and an unbelievable price compared to what it went for at Model-Expo.   I just couldnt help it.   

Of course...  now Ive got a HUGE (35") boat to build!   I dont know wether to laugh or cry..   This may be my second or third build EVER.   Can you see why Im a bit freaked out. 

Im HOPING that it actually will not be as challenging as the fully rigged Constitutions and Victories, Im HOPING that the size will make a bit easier, Im HOPING my wife doesnt throw me out of the house.    Keep in mind Im just now working on a canoe!   I suppose I could set it aside and get some others under my belt, but if I bring home one more modeling book, model, tool my wife WILL throw me out of the house.  As it is Im going to have to sneak this behemoth in the door somehow...

A little advice on preparation for such a thing could go a long way.  Thanks folks.

post-13870-0-20830000-1405006021_thumb.jpg

Lucky man!  I haven't done that ship but would love to so I don't have a lot of advice. 

And I sure don't have good advice as to how you convince your wife that you need a dedicated workshop so you can spread out your kit and tools in comfort but that would be my next step!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Beautiful yacht, I wouldn't call it HUGE, that might not be a term to use around your wife... perhaps you could use one of us as a scapegoat and mention the madmen on this site that are building hulls that are 5 or 6 feet long, that the canoe is tiny, that this would be a normal size, its only 30 odd inches long  Perhaps you wife needs a new dress or some other accoutrements, as a bribe?

Good luck

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Actually I believe if your admiral thinks a bit, she would be happy to have you at home close to her working at your little boat, instead of being away from home and having a beer with the friends, not to mention the risk of enjoying the gracious company of other ladies!

Now your Puritan looks great and I am sure will be a very nice build, much more appropriate for a first build than a Constitution, a Victory or a Wasa!

Lucky Boy Doreltomin,

the "Puritan" is also one of my favorites, can understand thad that you could`nt go by that famous eyecatcher,....am looking foreward to your build log..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful yacht, I wouldn't call it HUGE, that might not be a term to use around your wife... perhaps you could use one of us as a scapegoat and mention the madmen on this site that are building hulls that are 5 or 6 feet long

Very true...  Ill be sure to point that out.   While it may not be so large by those standards, Its gonna be a colossus when Im trying to convince her to display it.   Keep in mind...   I do this work in the office/loft of our 700 sq ft. city apartment.   I will likely have to find some place to donate it in order for it to be seen once its built!  ;)

Actually I believe if your admiral thinks a bit, she would be happy to have you at home close to her working at your little boat, instead of being away from home and having a beer with the friends, not to mention the risk of enjoying the gracious company of other ladies!

Actually this is more true than you know...   my other hobby is long-distance motorcycling, and so far convincing her that we need another trip out to the hobby shop has been much easier than convincing her that I need to take off for three days out to who-knows-where.    She is much happier with me tinkering away upstairs than being lost on some mountain back-road.  :)

Ah, I see you're a quick study Maturin - you'll do well in this Hobby. Don't forget, when discussing the cost of kits, tools etc with your wife, to amortise the cost over the time taken to build, and then compare that to other past times, like golf for instance. Your wife will be very appreciative of the economical hobby you have chosen and funds will be released immediately! ;)

Ah, I see you're a quick study Maturin - you'll do well in this Hobby. Don't forget, when discussing the cost of kits, tools etc with your wife, to amortise the cost over the time taken to build, and then compare that to other past times, like golf for instance. Your wife will be very appreciative of the economical hobby you have chosen and funds will be released immediately! ;)

I finally got one of my partners to admit in front of the wife that his membership initiation in the country club was 24k.  She doesn't complain too much anymore when I buy a new book or tool.

I finally got one of my partners to admit in front of the wife that his membership initiation in the country club was 24k.  She doesn't complain too much anymore when I buy a new book or tool.

This is all good to keep in the stores...  ha.    Now I just have to wait and see what happens when I bring Puritan into the house  ;).   It could go either way...  ha.

You might  try these famous last words: "Oh crap!!! I had no idea it was going to be this BIG!!!" post-76-0-33406900-1405129672.gifpost-76-0-05075400-1405129672.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My excuse for building this wonderful ship was my wife "Bella" she is Swedish and her great great grandfather was the Top sail man on her when they won the Americas cup. He stood at the cross trees and hauled the top sail Tack up and over the Gaff complete with the down haul block and sheets No mean effort when you think that we are talking about heavy possibly wet canvas and wood blocks and hemp lines!! He was nicknamed "Swedish Steam" for his strength and ability to stand up there doing his job as the boat healed over going up wind 

A beautiful model The rigging is very interesting as it is a soft wire and fun to work with 

Ironically we live in Bristol Rhode Island where there is the Herrishoff America's cup museum and a picture of "Swedish Steam" the yacht and the rest of the crew

Happy building

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

My excuse for building this wonderful ship...

Thats a very cool connection.   Currently trying to track down plans of the "Puritan" for reference, if you have any leads let me know.  

Do you have any pics of your finished model?

Sorry no Pictures yet One of my early builds so waiting for my skill level to catch up with proper finishing needed soon time to restart though 

as for plans what are you looking for?

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Sorry no Pictures yet One of my early builds so waiting for my skill level to catch up with proper finishing needed soon time to restart though 

as for plans what are you looking for?

Andy

Ah I see.  Well Im sure the plans for the model will come packed in the box, but Im hoping to find/aquire a copy of the Edward Burgess plans of the original build by George Lawley and Son in Boston.  Ill likely follow the model plans closely, but would love to have the originals to compare details with. So far Ive not had much luck, but Im VERY new to this kind of research.  

Perhaps some of the NRG members around here might pipe in with some advice.   

I am back in Bristol so will go down to the Museum and see what they have 

Andy

Hey that would be great!   Thanks!  

Maturin;

I'm new to this site, but I have been modeling for some time (mostly scale rc airplanes). I too have a Puritan kit, and I'm thinking of building it someday soon.

Would you be interested in doing a team build on our models? Is that sort of thing even done here??

I'll follow your lead.

Regards,

John Cole 

HI John,

We have "group builds" for selected ships and boats but not a team modeling as such.  What usually happens is that those building the same model visit each others build logs to discuss issues and solutions, etc.  And the log gets visited by those interested in the model either because they have it on the shelf or they built it.   So.... open a build log when you're ready.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Maturin;

I'm new to this site, but I have been modeling for some time (mostly scale rc airplanes). I too have a Puritan kit, and I'm thinking of building it someday soon.

Would you be interested in doing a team build on our models? Is that sort of thing even done here??

I'll follow your lead.

Regards,

John Cole 

Hi John, 

Thats a great idea, though like you both have sorted out, probably not something easily done.   I would be interested in some kind of simultaneous build log thing.  I think if not as a team it would at least be great to have someone to commiserate with  ;).  

I wont be starting for at least a month or two as I have to finish another project and make some adjustments to my work space to accommodate the larger size model.   Im viewing Puritan as a Fall/Winter endeavor and am just spending time looking over the instructions and plans and trying to wrap my head around what Im about to get myself into.  

Best.

Maturin;

That sounds good to me as well. I'm in no hurry either, and I am currently in between model airplane projects.

So I'll start in the next couple of weeks on my Puritan, perhaps I'll discover some pitfalls and work out some solutions. 

John