I would prefer PVA (Carpenters wood Glue) when gluing wooden items together. If you choose CA glue, take Brians advice and mix it with titebond

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

jud

Say you have  a 30 foot long plank, thus about 14 frames on a fully framed model.  I used to use aliphatic glue on all but two or three frames.  On those couple, I would use gel CA to get an almost instant bound to hold the plank in place.  I have since quit CA altogether as I hate the fumes and use aliphatic and clamps as needed to hold the part in place until the glue cures. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

CA glue, particularly the gel variety is great for pinning a plank down at one end while the PVA Glue on the rest of it dries. I use Zap CA when applying copper plates as the PVA doesn't hold 'em. My biggest issue is the fumes. I have found that I am very allergic to them. They bring on flu like symptoms and completely block my sinuses. I find that even a well ventilated room does not help. I have to work outdoors on my deck, with a mask, in order to avoid the fumes. Not so bad in OZ with a mild climate, but I'd hate to be in the USA - in winter, applying a couple of thousand copper plates. In addition I have found CA glue to be a lot more expensive than PVA. Use very sparingly I say!!

What I would appreciate is some advice on an adhesive - available in Australia - for glueing Copper Plates that is NOT CA!

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

The tips on using a combination of C/A and TiteBond is good though I tend to clamp rather than using the C/A on wood.  When I sit at my work bench I have a small fan going at all times because of my overhead halogen lights and the heat they put out - but it is real important when using C/A and doing soldering to make sure the fumes are blown away and not inhaled.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I remeber when in 1971 Hotstuff Ca came out for use in RC planes. I used it for joining 1/16 and 1/32 balsa sheets together on edge for sheeting the front leading edges of wings on my 12 and 14 foot wingspan gliders. It was so great to be able to edge glue the sheets together instantly,just going down the seam.

It was named Hot Stuff for a reason,when the CA would link up and harden,it created enough heat to cause a "smoke" comming up from the wood where it was used. I still have a couple of these gliders,and the CA has stood up to the years and stress of the bending and warping of the wings in flying. Which is a lot more stress than of a static ship model's rigging or planking.

I still build gliders and use Ca only for tacking some parts in place. Tite Bond PVA and slow setting epxoy for the wing spar laminations is still the way to go. With full size aircraft- resorsinal (sorry about the spelling) is still the only FAA approved way to join wood.But you have to have tight joints for it to work best.

As for rigging,I only use Ca in very few areas,because of the fumes from the CA and the lack of working time,and how it makes the joint brittle.

Sometimes the old way still can be the best way. PVA is still the best all around way to go. But Ca has in my building stood thew test of time in my Glider building and long term use of 43 years in a couple of my RC Gliders.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I should clarify my comment when I say in conjunction with titebond. I don't mix the glues together but apply half titebond and half super glue to a surface before clamping.

This is an interesting discussion.

I assume that using both adhesives results in a faster set-up time (with the CA) and still get the advantage of the superior strength of the PVA glue,  right?

Would you let the CA 'dry' before joining the two? Or do they combine pretty well while both are still 'wet'?

Does this give you the quick set-up time of one and the strength of the other? I know that CA 'loves' moisture but I am still curious about the 'love' affair between the two (speaking chemistry, of course).

This is a whole new dimension!!!

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hi All,

I've mentioned this before, but an old finish carpenter's trick is to spread a thin layer of Tite Bond on one piece to be glued and let it dry. Spread another thin layer on the piece to be glued and press together. It is almost always used on returns of complex mouldings. It's almost like contact cement, but with some working time. Finger pressure and a minute are all you need for good glue joint. I urge everyone to experiment with this technique. It can replace the need to use CA except in very specific circumstances.

Best,

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jay

Tried to send you a PM but it says you can't receive any new messages - message box too full?. Just wanted to catch-up so thought I'd indicate this here. Sending you a "Like" to signal.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi All,

I've mentioned this before, but an old finish carpenter's trick is to spread a thin layer of Tite Bond on one piece to be glued and let it dry. Spread another thin layer on the piece to be glued and press together. It is almost always used on returns of complex mouldings. It's almost like contact cement, but with some working time. Finger pressure and a minute are all you need for good glue joint. I urge everyone to experiment with this technique. It can replace the need to use CA except in very specific circumstances.

Best,

Steve

I have used this method for second planking and found it very speedy ,but a word of warning ,i did finish up with a lot of springy planks and although this may have been due to my inexperience care must be taken to avoid a similar outcome  

Edited by shihawk

I planked the deck on my AVS with Zap-A-Gap medium.  I made a mistake on one plank and had to remove and replace it.  I had to move heaven and earth to get the plank out!  In the end, it came out in multiple small pieces, pried out with a #11 blade.  I suspect the unless the chemistry of the bond changes over a few decades, the bond with CA, if applied correctly, will hold.

Dave

Edited by DocBlake

Dave,

If it's CA, acetone will dissolve the bond and save your fingers and the blade.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)