San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

DC, yes I am, I feel like a great weight has been lifted now that they are done and in the right place this time. Can't help but think had I not screwed them up the first time and been using my knife the way I was when trying to fix my error I probably wouldn't be trying to get my grip back in my right hand...still wondering if I am going to be able to swing a golf club anytime soon :(

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Now that we have run amok with your thread Robbyn I will just wish you were here and let you get back to your build, it is coming along well and the gun ports look great.

Steve

Thanks everyone, I am happy with the gun ports...I decided long ago (after the first time I cut them) that I was not going to open these and put a false cannon in the hull...in the beginning I considered it but soon decided  I didn't know enough of what I was doing to do it correctly. Now I better understand how I will need a filler block between bulkheads to set those false cannon on. Next time I can do it. For now, the doors are securely glued shut  :P

Wacko, that looks nasty!! and painful!! I feel for you :(

Steve, I love how people randomly run amok with my log...I enjoy the banter, and the diversion.

I am soooo excited though, I was looking ahead at the instructions last night and realized I just have a couple pieces to add at the bow and the stern and I will be done with the hull for awhile :dancetl6:

It will be a nice change of pace to move on to the deck furnishings!

Edited by Shaz

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

So, this is now, what, the meeting of not so anonymous attempted amputees? :P

I'll be sure to read this log after I've had my lunch.... my fingers hurt just looking.... ow...

Nice work on the ports Robbyn, and congrats on nearly reaching the end of hull construction!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Lol Andy, thanks for the laugh, and the compliment :D

And if your fingers hurt just looking at them, I will happily trade you right hands for a bit. I can't get over how much things still hurt...I can make a fist, I just can't grip anything that requires more than the thumb and first two fingers to hold because I can't put any pressure over the palm below the pinky and ring finger yet.

Good thing most of my tools are micro sized and I can use them two-fingered! Have to say though, after getting to spend 10-12 hours both Sat and Sun working on my build, things sure ached. Good thing is that pain lets you know you aren't dead yet, so that means I can keep dreaming about that next build :P

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

You can just keep your nearly disembodied digits to yourself, I'll keep my spider fingers safe with me thank you :P:D

I would suggest maybe getting your "assistant" to duct-tape any tool you're having trouble with, to your hand. (I'm thinking the handle of your exacto knife in particular) ;)

And speaking of next builds.. have you narrowed down your choices? Or are we all making things harder?

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Choices are narrowing, still going to go for another kit build this time. Hopefully, by the time I finish a second build I will have acquired the proper tools as well as a shop to work in so I can go over to the dark side :o

I really like the looks of the Syren by Model Shipways, but am still looking at a couple of Euromodels too, the Mordaunt and the Friedrich Wilhelm, but then again I think something other than a galleon would be a nice change of pace and the Syren would do that. I also like the idea of one of the riverboats to just do something completely different as well, and I have been watching Popeye's double build of the lobster boat and find that intriguing too.

I want something...challenging, yet not too outside my wheelhouse, and something I like the looks of. So..still looking, but I have time

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I personally think the Syren is a very good choice. For one, it has quality instructions which give you an opportunity to learn without too much guess work, and it won't overwhelm you with a huge number of gunports like some of the larger war ships. I have the Syren kit and its an excellent kit.

I wanted to add that the instructions are comparable to a practicum that is sold separately by some for almost $200 and more in some cases. With the Syren, you can get that and the kit for only $250 from ME. I'm not affiliated. :)

Edited by helmsman

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Go Syren....not only is it gorgeous, but it is by Chuck so you know you'll get any help you need....Though you won't go wrong if you do anything you've offered up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Hi Robbyn,

I do not want to confuse you but……..

If the Aggy was not passing by my attention, I want to build the Mordaunt.

Great ship and a big challenge.

And I think that you are ready for that challenge…..

What ever you choose for your next build, save me a seat at the front row.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

What about the AL Charles Morgan (is this kit still made, thats one cool whaler) and the Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat on the shelf. I looked long and hard at the Longboat but its scale frightened me away. So I went with the pinnace, what it lacks in rigging it has in style and beauty. Plus Chucks practicum makes it hard to resist. After an AL kit instructions, that becomes a much bigger consideration.

My problem is that I could quickly become Popeye with just a nudge. That huge front room we closed off to conserve energy would make a heck of a shipyard.

Congrats on beating those dang gunports, failure is only success telling you to try again. I also try to see failure as opportunity, unless it involves surgery. (hum, duct taping tools to hands, another excellent Andy original :dancetl6: ... ) You showed them gunports though.

I was thinking and didnt you use the kit provided ports? Maybe they attacked due to jealousy over the doors you made. Kit parts can be ruthless that way, I argue with my parts all the time. When Al isn't acting up that is...

... and I liked the countersunk  method used on them without a complete chop job on the hull.

Now comes the fun part. Seems to me that the SF has lots of bashing that can be done on deck furniture.

Trust me the longboat will get done next. My plan is to begin it about the time I start the rigging on the SF. I figure there will be times I need a break from tying knots so I figured I could work on both at the same time.

The Morgan....old kit, even worse AL instructions...and I have pilfered much of her wood to redo things on the SF. I plan to let Morgan sit there awhile longer, she has waited 25 years, what's a couple more. But, I expect that when I make my next wood order so I have some of the common dimensions on hand, I will also order new wood for the Morgan as well, I haven't forgotten about her. I did hear from some others that she will require some research first though, just to figure out the hull shape and bulkhead placings.

I really like the looks of both the Syren and the Mordaunt. Wow, they couldn't be two more different ships. Two things though, major difference in cost, and knowing Chuck is here if I get stuck or don't understand something.

I am thinking that building a model shipways kit, with its true to dimension plans and clear instructions would help me learn much more about ships in general. When I started I knew what the bow and stern was. Since then I have learned about bulkheads, knight heads, bulwarks, poop decks, and transoms, but that is really all I know. I figure the Syren plans and instructions will teach me much more of the terminology and workings of a real ship that will help me in future builds.

Ah, who knows, maybe I will win the lottery and can afford to buy both kits, and then build them side by side :dancetl6:

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Yes Robbyn you will learn a lot as you go, as I have said, I have the CWMorgan and the plans and instructions are to say the least - some form of plan and or instruction. I will tackle her one day though and I will do what I do which is make her to a form that looks right to me.

There are so many beautiful ships to build though aren't there?

Steve

Steve, part of the biggest problem is the abundance of beautiful ships to choose from...and the time to complete them all :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Sjors, I did catch the compliment my friend, you are right, I am a typical woman and generally let the compliment slide right on by. As a woman we never quite know how to respond to compliments. The fear of getting a big head and all!

I do hope that I will be blessed with many, many more years of life and model building to help fill it.

Seriously think that the Syren will be the next large build. I just think she is a beautiful ship, and I am in awe of the job Chuck did in creating her. I also love his Confederacy....but price wise the Syren is more manageable at the moment. If money were not an issue then I would jump on a couple of the Euromodels, I do love the Mordaunt and the Royal William.....someday....

As for my build, again the first of the week always seems like progress is slow. I am working on the "beak" pieces of the bow. Managed to get them soaked and shaped last night, now just waiting for the wood to dry so I can install them tonight. That will signal the last of the hull work for awhile.

I am also building the little cabin that sits on the deck right now, it should be ready to go tonight as well, then I can begin on the gratings!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I think you'll do well with the Syren. You've done a great job for a first build on the SF. Just imagine how much better you'll be when you've got two under your belt. :) Then you could really go to town on something like the RW or Mordaunt. As many people have noticed, there's a lot of room to upgrade Euromodels kits with scratch build extras. Maybe you'll pull a "Bill Short" and re-carve all the decorations ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I have been watching Bill's log, amazing!!!! I really wish I had that little dentists drill machine he has...

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Gee Andy, I have those....dang it!! Now you got me thinking again :o

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

One thing at a time... :P

Go do a Syren build.... you could probably get a bit of practice with the castings that are included in the kit.. enough to learn on, but not so much that you'd be overwhelmed. And from what I've seen, they're fairly good quality castings, so even if you're not happy with your first attempts, you'll still have a sharp looking build. :)

BTW, I'm pretty sure you can get some fine carving burrs from Lee-Valley tools...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Warning:

Andy mentioned Lee-Valley, I just wanted to warn potential builders... Lee Valley is BAD. My last order, I couldnt stop finding things and ended up spending $150 on stuff due to there free shipping promo. ;) I love that place.

If you order, dont forget scrapers. I love my schmoo scraper I got from LV and their 3/16th cherry veener strips (225 for $23ish) is a steal.

BE WARNED, its a hard place to stop shopping. Reminds me of the Sears wish book when I was a kid. :dancetl6:

I ordered 2 tubes of those cherry strips from leeValley, wish I had found that sale before the other widths were gone...it was just too good of a deal to let slide by. See I am thinking ahead, approx 500 cherry strips on hand for future planking....can we guess what I will be using to plank my Morgan with lol.

Now I get catalogs from both them, micro mark, and model expo all the time....very very dangerous :o

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn,

SF is looking great. I'm sure you'll have no problem with any ship you decide to build.   I think there is a common thought around here: "so many ships, so little time". :)

Are you doing any kind of therapy for your hand?  Like gently squeezing modeling clay or a tennis ball?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mark. I have a stress ball at work that i have been using. The problem is I have picked up an infection deep in the incision so it makes it very painful to put any pressure on the palm yet. I seem to be able to model fairly well as I am working basically on small parts and bits and the first two fingers and thumb of right hand work reasonably well so I can hold the small tools. I think if I were still planking and doing lots of major shaping and sanding I would be up a creek at the moment. So hopefully by the time I am ready for that Syren the hand will be up to the challenge as well.

P.S.

hope the wife is recovering well :)

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hello Robbin,

Your SF build is coming along real nice!  I have been quietly checking in so once in a while and love this friendly banter on your log.

I like the way you did your gunport lids, looks good.

Wow about the hand.  In all the years of working for a living as an airplane mechanic (30 years) before becoming a VP of maintenance and engineering for an airline and after that a FAA safety inspector for another 26 years total, I have had no injuries but minor scrapes and cuts.  Lived a charmed life I guess. ;)

Was almost crushed by a DC-6 nose wheel though when I worked for KLM way back when.  But that's another story from my previous life  :omg:

Keep up the good work and I'll stop by again, soon.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Sjors! :o ! :o ! :o

Hahahahaha You called that one right Andy!

And here I was just getting on to post pictures, but now maybe I should wait..........

Not much progress really although I have worked every night. Finished the "beak" and the catdavits(whatever the heck those are)

Got my cabin finished and ready to glue on the deck.

I have been fighting with the gratings...the ones provided in the kit do not have the grooves cut in a straight line, but more on an arc. So I had to take a file to each individual groove in order to get them put together. The small ones are done and on the deck, 2 large ones are waiting for the stain of the frames to dry to complete assembly and installation.

I am puzzling out exactly the best way to build the odd shaped frames that will hold the grates between the bow and the beak, so that has stopped me for the night. I figure I will do my usual.....go to sleep tonight and dream up my fix for the frames, then I can tackle them in the morning.

post-127-0-13099700-1365817475_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-79361700-1365817490_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-15861600-1365817501_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-34782700-1365817558_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station