Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

George, Patrick, Piet, Greg, Ed, and all others with kind wishes.... Thank you for those special thoughts and prayers. Keep it up, because they seem to be reaching their target.

As tough as this infection is, my doctors are much tougher.

Think of being on a little "Cutter" and having both the Vic and the SOS turn broadside on you. LOL

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

That's why we are family Dave!  Be good my friend.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

That's why we are family Dave!  Be good my friend.

Cheers,

Yea, a world wide family.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Great news that you're in the shop.  You're tougher than you think you are.  I think we all believe that it's "the docs"...  As for family, I don't think we nag, do we?  Now about more pictures... :)  :) :)  

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

OK Mark.... a few shots this morning to do a little catching up.

First the companion way rework....

I managed to change out the oversized grating with some 2mm grating I found in my boneyard.

Also had to turn new stanchions for both modules. Actually, my first stanchions were too long and skinny.

So I am pleased with the overall improvement.

Isn't that usually the case with re-do's?

post-11777-0-08405100-1441544971_thumb.jpg

The grating seen here will be replaced when I receive the new 2mm stuff. Note the difference in size.

post-11777-0-31375700-1441545004_thumb.jpg

These shots remind me of all the deck tree nailing I still have to eventually get around to.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Began playing around with the cannons and trucks....

Having not rigged a cannon in years, this ship having at least 30 rigged cannon is going to be quite a challenge to me.

This first shot is of the cannon and truck as I received them ....

post-11777-0-73213100-1441545649_thumb.jpg

After adding a little detail, not too bad....

First attempt to put a pin through the axels didn't go too well. I'll continue to play around with that.

The black straps are created from card stock.

Not sure if I can add much more at this point.

I've always liked painting the carriages red, but there's so much red on the bullwarks, I figure that would be a little too much.

However, the yellow trucks, like found on the Victory, might look great. What think?

post-11777-0-50608600-1441545699.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Lookin' good Dave! You must have a great method for doing those gratings as they all seem pretty square and neat looking.  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Cannon trucks.... natural or painted?

Now I'm not really sure....need some opinions.

As much as I like the yellow painted trucks, I can't decide which looks better sitting in place on the deck.... any thoughts?

post-11777-0-09169300-1441642722_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-66192100-1441642749_thumb.jpg

I can go either way, but have a high regard for all MSW modelers opinions on things like this.

So, please think of it as your own decision and tell me what you think.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

The final decision is yours Dave, but speaking for myself, I'd go with the "natural" look. It seems to match a little better to the natural main-rail and planking. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Maybe just to wait with your decision to the dead line for mounting cannons - to see what better looks then ?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Nenad.... With so many exposed deck guns to rig, I would rather begin doing a few at a time between other tasks to break up the manotany.... Tree nailing, more cap rails, gratings, more carvings, other deck furnishings, etc.

Each gunport represents a lot of hours when you consider the related pieces I plan to include.... Rams, mops, buckets, brass monkeys, and balls. I'll likely spend at least a couple of days on each position.

As for "dead lines".... Since retirement, I refuse to allow such in my life. Lol

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

With George voting for the natural look, then it probably doesn't help you to decide at all that I'm going to vote for the painted look.

(But, I will agree that the final choice is up to you.)

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

The way you guys are starting off, looks like it will be port side painted, and starboard side natural. Hahaha

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave,

I'm not sure the time period will work for "yellow"... I'd go with either natural or <gasp> red ochre.  <tosses monkey wrench>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Tradition says red but you don't want that so my gut feeling is natural red oak or just plain oak.  

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I like the natural over the yellow but I know you will make it look good no matter what you go with!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Decision time.... A few hours in the shop this morning, mostly working on adding little axel ends and pins to the truck wheels. The more I study the two trucks, the more I agree with the un-painted option. So it shall be.

Thanks for the input guys.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave,

I'm not sure the time period will work for "yellow"... I'd go with either natural or <gasp> red ochre.  <tosses monkey wrench>

My research of the SOS tells me the the cannon's were plain bronze with dark dark oak stain on the trucks. Hope this helps

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

With the decision to go with natural dark oak trucks, I can move on to assembly of some 34 units that will be seen fully rigged on the decks.

Beginning with a few modifications.....

First, I found that the truck frame sits much too high on the axels. Fairly simple fix.... cut the axel slots deeper.

post-11777-0-34834400-1441815429.jpg

I set up a little jig on my small table saw in order to re-cut all of the axel slots the exact same depth.... Note the photo below with me holding the truck in place over the saw blade with my left hand is only because I needed to use my right hand for the camera.

post-11777-0-42124200-1441815545.jpg

Then there is the need to add extended axel tips with pins to the wheels.

I simply drilled out the center of each wheel and shaped a tooth pick to fit into the hole. Using a home made needle drill, I created a hole through the hub and inserted a small section of wire for the pins.

post-11777-0-88575300-1441815749_thumb.jpg

Paint'em black and stick'em on....

post-11777-0-19003400-1441816113.jpg

I had honestly forgotten just how labor-intensive deck guns are.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

You are right about how much time to make the deck guns. You have 34 to make. I'm assuming that you are doing a 'Henry Ford' to make them.... (a production line LOL), it would be quicker!

Greg

Not to worry Patrick.... My little shipyard elves will knock 'em out in no time.

Greg.... Could use a production line for sure.

Maybe the little elves can come up with something tonight.

Sawdust Dave -

Hi Dave, glad you settled on unpainted oak for the carriages. 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

It looks like I'll be playing with gun carriages for quite some time.... then rigging them in their positions on the various decks.

Meantime I plan to begin building Chuck's 1:48 scale cutter "Cheerful".... back and forth between the two projects as best I can.

Quick explanation.... I am building the Cheerful as a special appreciation gift to the amazing surgeon who accurately diagnosed my illness and took immediate aggressive action to combat the raging attack of the deadly fungal infection that developed within my ear. He continues to manage my ongoing treatment, and calls me at home after hours two or three times a week to inquire about how I'm feeling. This is one very special man indeed.

Only his staff knows about this plan and they have all been sworn to secrecy.

Hopefully, my treatments will be wrapped up in about three months and I can surprise him with the model on my final visit.

Least I can do to thank a man for saving my worthless old hide.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Hi Dave

What a wonderful gesture. I know surgeons get paid a lot of dough, but you can't put a price on health and well being.

I reckon he'd be pleased as punch to receive it!

Cheers

Patrick

Patrick took the words from my mouth. He's a one in the million!

Goodonyamate

Greg