Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

Hey Dave - - - thanks for your confidence in my abilities, I'll give it a bloody go.  Mom's chicken soup eh.  Well yes, she made the best, allo from scratch.  Got the chicken bones, necks etc from the butcher and made her own stock.  Hmmmm, think I need to try making it someday.

Enjoy the holidays.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Merry Christmas Mates!

Turns out, we had to completely cancel our holiday travel plans due to a nasty stomach virus the Admiral picked while out shopping.

So here we are still in port for Christmas.... and, you guessed it.... hard at work in the shipyard.

Mostly creating the mini-cannons, but I have broken away to begin a couple of new carvings.

Cheers all

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks Patrick.... Actually, we're both kinda relieved that we were not trying to drive the 1,000 mile two-day trip in the terrible weather that has dominated the entire travel rout the last two days.

Re-scheduling our visit for sometime Feb or March.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Sorry to hear about that sickness Dave, but with all that bad weather, maybe it's a blessing in disguise.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Demi-Culverin cannons....

After learning that almost all of the upper "weather deck" areas were actually armed with smaller demi-Culverin guns, I was celebrating the fact that the amount of truck rigging would be greatly reduced.

A few days later, the realization that, except for the eight guns that will be used in the waist deck area, the time spent assembling the 24 larger 4-wheeled trucks was pretty much a waste of time.

And.... It is now a matter of cutting out the truck parts for the 24 demi-Culverin guns that will be used.

And.... The smaller demi cannons each must be mold-cast, cleaned up, and painted gold.... 24 needed (two at a time).

At best, it turns out to be pretty much a wash.

post-11777-0-17940800-1450981233_thumb.jpg

I would normally create a mold for the truck parts but cannot in this case because the trucks will not be painted.

A laser cutter would be nice right now..... SANTA???

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Sorry to hear about the trip cancelation, Dave.  But maybe relief due to the bad weather..  we did one onetime where we were stuck the Detroit airport over Christmas due to bad weather.  Our luggage made it to the destination but we didn't.  We flew back home as soon as the weather broke.

Lovely looking cannons and carriages.  And yes, those parts on a CNC mill or laser cutter... But you've got them looking so good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry to hear about the cancellation but in reality it's a blessing in disguise. Hope your dear bride will feel better soon.  These viruses are a bummer.

The small guns are looking pretty good Dave.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Here's a special holiday greeting for you Dave.  You've been put through the ringer with the terrible ear infection this last year, so I wish you a VERY HEALTHY 2016.  Hopefully that problem will soon be main mast down on the horizon astern.  Yes, in your wake, not at it! ;-)  I always hold a good thought for you.  Have a Merry Christmas and the best 2016 for you and those you love.

Tom

Edited by wyzwyk

Sorry to hear about that sickness Dave, but with all that bad weather, maybe it's a blessing in disguise.  :)

As George said, a blessing in disguise! I've found that our Lord Jesus works in funny ways, maybe if you drove that distance, you may never arrived. 

Havagooday Dave and hope that your admiral is ok now!

All the best for the seasons

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks for those very special comments Greg, Tom, Piet and Mark.

Admeral's much better today. We had a very nice quiet peaceful Christmas Day.

Managed to build a few cannons, but mostly just piddled around.

Way too many sweets in the frig, so I got rid of them.... And they were delicious!

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

All deck guns fitted....

Six days of creating and rigging cannons finally on board.  Still much to do but, for now, I'm ready to try to knock out a few new carvings.

I'll come back to the cannons and add some of the gun crew tools (rams, mops, buckets, cannon shot, etc)

Question.... Were "brass monkeys" used during this time period?

Full view of all deck guns....

post-11777-0-25016500-1451598107_thumb.jpg

Qtr Deck....

post-11777-0-53377300-1451598147_thumb.jpg

Half Deck....

post-11777-0-06525900-1451598189_thumb.jpg

Waist Deck....

post-11777-0-34686200-1451598175_thumb.jpg

Forcastle ....

ddpost-11777-0-62218700-1451598206_thumb.jpg

Dummy guns below the forcastle....

Note the newest carving now fitted....

post-11777-0-50009500-1451598282_thumb.jpg

This last photo reminds me, I still have a major task of tree nailing the bamboo hull looming out there eventually.

One project at a time huh.

Happy New Year Mates!

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Nice work Dave! She looks great with her teeth in place. Amazing carving work too!  :)

Have a safe and Happy New Year yourself!! post-12186-0-00389600-1451604259.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Sweet work, Dave.   She's armed to the teeth and then some. 

Here's wishing you and yours a very good new year.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work Dave, she looks awesome!

You and your family have a great 2016 and in good health

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Dave

She's looking brilliant; what with the cannons, the carvings, the bamboo plankings, all mixed together with lots of hard work and skill. Very nice!

After six days of rigging the cannons, I reckon you've earnt a long siesta.

Have a great New Year.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks for your comments George, Mark, Piet, Patrick.... and for all the visits and likes.

Feels great to see the SOS changing again after setting her aside for three months to build Dr. Pillsbury's ship.

The upper deck guns.... Except for the eight waist cannons, all that firepower you see is pretty light weight at this point.

Middle level gun deck....I still must fit 30 more heavy cannons (dummy guns) into the middle gun ports with raised lids w/ hinges and ropes.

Lower Level gun deck.... The 26 lower level gun ports were armed with heavy cannons but will have closed lids. 

I haven't decided yet if the lids will have any sort of carvings.

Trying to imagine the feeling of the Captain and crew of an unfriendly vessel seeing this monster turn broadside on them.

Happy New Year All! :pirate41:

Sawdust Dave -

New cutting blade discovery (for me)....

How many of these great X-ACTO blades do we go through in a year?

For several years, I have re-sharpened and re-shaped dozens of these blades we all so rely on every day.... (top photo)

With all the fine detail carving I'm trying to do now, I decided to give the Micro-Mark "scalpel" blades a go.... (second photo)

post-11777-0-02495300-1451656621_thumb.jpg

As seen, the mini-scalpel set offers a great assortment of shapes, and the difference in sharpness is truly remarkable.

The "clean out" of the material in the tiny scroll clip art seen here turned out much cleaner than any I have previously done with the standard X-ACTO blades I've been using.

post-11777-0-45380400-1451656966_thumb.jpg

Just thought I would share this (for me) great new discovery.

Well worth the small investment.

Sawdust Dave -

Those look like the Swann-Morton Plastic Surgery scalpels, Dave.   They work a treat.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the link Dave, I need those for my future carving and then some.

You and your family have a great and healthy 2016.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

RIP Smokey....

post-11777-0-37610200-1451952638.jpg

My little shop pal passed on Christmas morning after several weeks of progressive illness.

Every evening, after I turn off the lights and lock the shop.... as I close the door, I still say "Goodnight stupid....see you in the morning."

After losing four of these funny little creatures over the years, no more birds for me.

Sawdust Dave -

That's a bummer, Dave.  I'm sorry to hear it.  They are funny critters.  They'll sit on your shoulder for hours, or fly off and steal anything shiny.  I haven't had birds in a long time, but they are full of personality. 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sorry to hear that Dave! I know it's tough losing a pet. :( Been there all too many times myself. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

G'day Dave

I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely cocktail's passing. They are a great little bird as I've got two of them myself. Each of them has their own personality and they are just like little children!  If they are quite, you know they are being naughty. 

All the best

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

My condolences on losing your feathered friend Dave.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Dave

I can definitely empathise with your loss. 'Charlie' is the name of our feathered friend, who looks exactly like yours. He was hand reared and is quite a character in his own right. I'd hate to lose him, so, I know how you must feel.

Take care and remember the happier times.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Sorry for your loss Dave

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle