Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

It's great to see the SOS back on the bench, Dave.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Interesting factoid.....

The initials "CR", repeated so many times on the SOS.... the "C" I figured was for "Charles".  So what is the "R" for"

So I browse around and found this little known factoid....

"CR" is the initials for "Carolus Rex".... (‘King Charles’).

post-11777-0-92713000-1449778566.jpg

This foolish man was a virtual 17th century Donald Trump on steroids!

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Technique..... Using clip art to create ornamental scroll sculptures.

Long searching and trying several different methods of creating scroll sculptures for the SOS.... I found that I had an excellent solution in my boneyard all along.  I had used, but forgot about, the metallic "peel and stick" sheets a few years ago to create the copper plating of the Syren.  I searched and found that these can still be purchased online.

The 5 pic collage below illustrates my simple technique for anyone interested....

Pic 1.... The peel and stick sheet.

Pic 2... Sticking the clip art to the sticky side.

Pic 3... Shows a half completed cutout of a clip I am working on.

Pic 4... Dressing the tip of my X-Acto blade for very fine detail trimming.

Pic 5... Mounting the cutout onto blue painters tape for spray painting.

post-11777-0-57800900-1449844712_thumb.jpg

Note:  After spray painting, the edges smooth out very nicely.  Also, you can add thickness to the painted piece by applying additional coats of metallic paint using careful dabbing with a tooth pick application.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Very delicate work Dave. Thanks for sharing how you do it.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

New scroll work technique.....

I find myself ever looking for unique scroll work that will work with this model.  Many of what I find just does not fit the scale.  By pure accident, while casting more of the many little seahorse and dolphin figures, I noticed that the liquid plastic could be poured onto glass in very thin lines and creating very interesting random patterns.

Although some of the patterns could be cut out and used, the scale was still too large for the places I want to use them.

Then I found to be the perfect solution.....

While putting up Christmas decorations with the admiral, I came across a tree ornament that really caught my eye. 

The second pic below shows the unique Christmas bow I discovered with very fine string patterns.

On close examination, I found an unlimited source of fine random patterns that can be selectively cut out and applied to the SOS.

post-11777-0-87490400-1450281899_thumb.jpg

Secondly....

Here's a deco wine bottle with a metal casting that caught my eye.  After removing the two-piece casting, I created a mold from the center piece to produce the beautiful sculpting you see.  I'm sure this will fit somewhere into the stern ornamentation, when I get to that point.

post-11777-0-93703000-1450283932_thumb.jpg

The larger casting also has several great patterns I will play around with.

Fun stuff huh?

Sawdust Dave -

OMG !!! Just marvelous !!!!

What an eye and brain !!!

Very well done !!!! 

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Progress Update....

So let's see how has all the new work is coming together aboard ship....

Compared to the port side, I'm pretty pleased with the subtle improvements incorporated into the starboard ornamentation.

Note the fine scroll art from the Christmas bow.... makes a very nice enhancement huh?

post-11777-0-01443700-1450293219_thumb.jpg

Here's how she looks now....

post-11777-0-55551400-1450293239_thumb.jpg

Note:

I am going to take a break from the carvings and castings for a while in order to begin installing some of the twenty eight deck cannons that will require full rigging detail.... breaking that formidable task into several sessions, as well as the treenailing of the bamboo hull planks.

Sawdust Dave -

All left brain work Dave, let the mind wander off and reach for the stars with the decoration ideas.  Nice going my friend.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Fantastic stuff you're doing for the decorations, Dave.   They look super...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for dropping in Mark, Patrick, and Piet.   Always appreciate your comments and interest.

Just seems nice to be able to show some progress on this project again after three months of gathering dust.

Still a very long way to go.

Sawdust Dave -

UPDATE..... Cannon issue.

A couple of days getting the four quarter deck cannons installed.  The scale issue was a bit of a shock.  

Once again, the old plan sheets I am using show the same gun carriage rigged throughout all deck guns.  Obviously, the size of the larger rig seen here does not work for the limited space of the quarter deck. 

post-11777-0-35508000-1450697157_thumb.jpg

A little research and online browsing, I ran across a Mantua plan sheet that clearly shows the use of much smaller demi-cannon used for the forecastle, quarter deck, and half deck. 

So I removed the big guns from the quarter deck and replaced them with these demi-Culverin's 

Note the difference in the shape of the carriages.

post-11777-0-41390800-1450697626_thumb.jpg

Much better fit.... Issue solved!

The best news is, all these little demi-cannons have none of the block and tackle rigging!  I'll gladly take that with a big smile.

post-11777-0-77263200-1450697664.jpg

Except for the forward ports located by the forcastle bulkhead, the larger cannons work just fine for the much larger waist deck.

post-11777-0-15428000-1450697923_thumb.jpg

All of the really heavy "drakes" (42 pounders) were used on the lower deck.

Then there were about 44 smaller (18 pounder) drakes mounted on the middle deck and, I assume the main waist area of the upper deck.

The balance of the 90 guns, as launched in 1637, (quarter deck, half deck, forcastle deck, bow chasers and stern chasers) were made up of those much smaller demi-Culverins.  These were mostly 9 pounders. 

Searching the term on the internet, illustrations portray most of these with larger spoke-wheels as seen on field artillery. 

I'm not going there.  Do you blame me?

This will be about it until after the holidays folks.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Nice save on the Quarterdeck! Those look much more in scale. 

I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

UPDATE.... New carving

A slight change in our holiday travel plans gives me an extra day in the shop, so I decided to knock out a new carving.

Here's a beautiful seal for a European train company I ran across while browsing around looking for more interesting clip art.

post-11777-0-95326400-1450717699_thumb.jpg

The lion figures and scroll work in the center just blew me away. 

I will attempt to carve as much detail as possible given the size of the panel it must fit into (1.5" wide X 3/4" high)

Again, my favorite carving material is the faux wood vinyl window shade slats I have used for most all of my carvings.

Clip art glued to the slat....

post-11777-0-02436600-1450717827_thumb.jpg

I have managed to carefully cut most of the outline shape with my fine pointed X-acto blade I showed earlier. 

The fine detailed "clean-out", seen on the left side lion, is being achieved with a Dremel with a flexible drive using a tiny bit given to me by my dentist.

Once I finish the clean-out of the middle details, I will begin working on the relief details.... hopefully I can get it fairly close.

post-11777-0-76113100-1450718626_thumb.jpg

This should keep me busy today and tomorrow.

Sawdust Dave -

Nice carving work.. and I daresay it will keep you busy for a bit.   Excellent refit of the Q-deck.  I never did understand why they guns pointed forward into their own ship, however... unless it was grapeshot if they boarded.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark....

"I never did understand why they guns pointed forward into their own ship, however... unless it was grapeshot if they boarded."

I think you are exactly right about the primary purpose of those bulkhead guns.  I imagine the scatter shot was quite deadly against intruding personnel.

Sawdust Dave -

Looking good Dave, Beautiful work, Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

New Carving Update....

This one didn't take as long as I expected.

post-11777-0-10857900-1450832099_thumb.jpg

Made a mold and cast the duplication.... then cleaned up the casting a little and painted both.

post-11777-0-78946100-1450832196_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Great safe on the cannons Dave.  I had to reduce my gun carriages also on the Surabaya.  What a nice looking carving, great job.  I kinda dread starting on mine, never did carving.

Have a very merry Christmas and happy New Year with the family.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you George, Janos and Patrick.

Piet my friend.  I know you.... and I know you are totally fearless.... and I also know, your skills are without limit.  You will eat the carving challenge like it was a bowl of mom's chicken soup!

Merry Christmas Mates!

Sawdust Dave -