Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

Edwin and Wacko.... thanks for your frequent visits along the way. So glad you had my SOS on your watch list.

Hope Santa is good to all you mates.

My brand new band saw should arrive early next week.

Cheers all

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hello Dave, I finally caught up with your magnificent build.  What a beauty to behold, well don e my friend.

I know, I have been awal for some time but thought about you and all the others often, just didn't have the time visit.

Things have been happening that have kept me out of my shipyard and away from MSW.

Wish you and your family a great Holiday season in good health.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice job on those flags Dave; they look great.  The model looks superb with all its livery.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Well Dave, a leap of faith to build SOS with your own ornamentation has now come to completion and it is a magnificent rendition for sure. I may have said this before but there are few modellers who would take this course taking into account historical accuracy from research and carving your own sculptures. Congratulations on a beautiful model.

Best Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Began the morning with nice messages from three more special friends I have enjoyed so much.
Pat from "down under", and Bill (who I owe so very much for his assistance and inspiration), and my dear personal friend "The Flying Dutchman".
Piet - I was getting a little worried that Santa had hired you to help build Christmas toys.  That would make you the Dutch Elf!

:D 

Love you guys!

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Really strange feeling this morning, coming to the ship yard for coffee at 6:00 am as usual.

The clean tidy work bench just blew me away!

It's like a ship yard just waiting for something to happen'

post-11777-0-67947200-1482066331.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave, finally caught up with your build. Magnificent work ! Great looking model. I like the results you got with the flags. very nice. Break out the champagne and celebrate. And I am envious of your spacious workshop.

Looks beautiful Dave! The flags look great! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

LMAO, Thank you for the tour. You have yourself a nice setup that works for you. Wish I live closer by for the Tuesday night poker game and using the head, do enjoy playing haven't played in a few years but who knows. LOL Hopefully soon I will be able to get back into mind, in time. It's always about time, just one problem with that SOONER WE ARE GOING TO RUN OUT OF IT.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Next build.....DECISION

Just downloaded a full set of plan sheets for the Constitution.
Planning to scale them to 1:50th and start ripping.

:10_1_10:

Merry Christmas All

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave

What an inspiration great build great log. Thanks for sharing with us all. Look forward to your next build

Al

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

Cutty Sark 1:75

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

SIB Pride of Baltimore II

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

1:50 Connie ??

That'll be HUGE, Dave !! 

Count me in !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Dave, that is one model to be very proud of, especially haven taken the plunge into carving - I have yet to take that challenge so I dip my hat to you!

I found the clean building table nice for a day or two but had to get on with something, even piece-meal, after a week or so; the club's build (HMCSS Victoria now has pride of place  but I have yet to do much :)

Enjoy the break and have a safe and happy festive season.  I very much look forward to your "Connie"; ast 1:50 that will be a great scale for you to add detail.

cheers

Pat

Carving.....
Pat - All my carvings were pretty rough in the beginning Pat.  Must have trashed the first 20 or more when building the Confederacy.
Then I learned to slow down and work on each from the outside edges toward the center.  Getting the outer shape is key, then thickness.... working from the highest raised surface down.  Sketching out new lines as you gradually remove material.
As you would imagine - relief carvings are much easier than full 3D figures.... I still struggle with those quite a bit.

Like everything else we've ever done.......Practice, practice, practice.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave, your SoS is magnificent. Looks ready to sail to a place of honor. And you plan to follow it up with a USS Constitution. WOW. I'm in.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ken..... can't wait to get rolling on the new build.  With the help of many friends who have done such great jobs on the Connie, I just hope I can do her justice.  She's really special, and deserves my best effort.
Can't wait to get started.

This clean shop stuff is driving me crazy!

Sawdust Dave -

FINAL TOUCH....

This is the ID plaque I finished up this morning.
Decided she needed a bit more elegant than the carving I was working on, so I splurged the six bucks to have an engraver at a local trophy shop do the lettering on a black background.  The shiny gold frame I created by cutting down some material from an old photo frame from the house.  
The Admiral will never miss it (I hope).....

post-11777-0-96195700-1482259615_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

SANTA ARRIVED THIS MORNING!

Following the tracking online, I saw that my new band saw was "out for delivery".....so I figured it would show up some time this morning.
Knowing they always deliver to my front door with a covered porch, I printed this sign early and taped it to the front door......

post-11777-0-32531000-1482261302_thumb.jpg

So I get a knock on the shop door shortly after noon, and sure enough Santa has come to collect his cake and glass of cold milk.

He even helped me un-box the new toy!
Now sitting in it's new home with fresh sawdust already on the table top.

post-11777-0-47037500-1482261572_thumb.jpg

WHAT TIME IS IT?
IT'S SAWDUST TIME!

Merry Christmas all!

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Great present Dave, you will have plenty of fun with that.

cheers

Pat

G'day Dave

Sorry that I've missed your log for a long time. 'Blow me down' it's amazing that the great SOtS is finished and I must join the chorus in saying congratulations on a bloody great job. Your SOtS is unique in every way.

You must be a good boy this year to get a great pressy from Santa.

Merry Christmas mate and please place a link on this log first your next build.

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Greg - Been wondering if you fell in a deep hole somewhere!

Thanks mate.... will do the link for sure.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

That was nice of Santa to deliver it early and even help with the unpacking.  Looks like  a good one too!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Got plan sheets today...... thank you John.

So I spent most of the evening playing around with scale.

Conclusion.... at 1:76 scale she is already a very large model!

After confirming that my system output is perfectly in scale with some measurements provided by Tom, my immediate response was "HOLY COW!" (Didn't use "cow", if you know what I mean)

Someone please tell me ..... What the HECK WAS I THINKIN!

My plan on building the Constitution at 1:50th scale? NO WAY! Ain't gonna happen.

Seriously folks, I had no idea this model was so large at the kit scale of 1:76.

I'll continue to play around with it tomorrow, but for now, I would say 1:60th appears much more likely, from a practical standpoint.

Whatever scale I decide to go with, I'm just excited about getting back to work.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

You didn't say holy cow "crap"....the one that starts with S? Oh my goodness, what language! Lol

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...