Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thimbles

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationThe Nutmeg State
Hi All,

I Was captivated by Chuck's thimbles on his Cheerfull build log and went so far as to to order the thin walled Albion brass tube. I wish, though I'd paid more attention to the size of the thimbles he created with the 1.5mm tubes. Unfortunately, I was hoping to use them with the shackles I made. They will not fit on to those thimbles. Does anyone have other ideas on how to make thimbles larger than Chuck's? Thanks.I'm

Best, John
  • mtaylor likes this
Member:
Connecticut Marine Model Society
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,304 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Buy larger brass tubing.... :)

• mtaylor likes this

Chuck Passaro - MSW Admin 

Current build - HMS Winchelsea - POB scratch build

HM Cutter Cheerful - POB scratch build

Royal Barge - POF scratch

www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 371 posts
Thanks Chuck,

I don't know if it's that easy. The 1.5mm micro tube has a 1.3mm ID which equates to a wall thickness of 0.1mm. I think I need a 4mm tube and the only Albion brass tubes in that I could find in that size come nested as a 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm set. I think that means the the wall thickness would be 0.5mm. Do you think that walls that thick can peen over as easily and evenly as the 1.5mm tube? I bought the tubes at Sprue Brothers. Are there other suppliers of Albion tubing that may have a greater selection?

Thanks,
John

Edited by Landlocked123, 11 December 2016 - 10:16 PM.

• mtaylor likes this
Member:
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,304 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Absolutely......they dont even need to be thin walled.  I have made thimbles and flared regular brass tubing that was 1/8 or 3/32" in diameter with no trouble at all.   Brass is very soft.  Just buy any K&S brass tube and you can do it with the right sizes blunt punch.

See this

http://modelshipworl...d/Chapter12.pdf

Read pages 3 and 4.

Chuck

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor and Canute like this

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 371 posts
Thanks Again Chuck,

I have some tubing on hand and will give it try. If I pull it off I'll post a picture.

Best,
John

ps What is the model in the instructions you attached in your post. Thx.

Edited by Landlocked123, 12 December 2016 - 12:53 AM.

• mtaylor likes this
Member:
Nautical Research Guild

Thanasis

Thanasis
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGreece-Volos
Hi.
John here's my tip, fast and cheap.
Take a piece of relatively soft wire at a thickness close to the side of the thimble you want to create.
By the "side" I mean the part of the thimble that it will stay uncovered when the thread (rope) is placed. 
Fold the wire in two pieces and make a loop around a rod in a proper - required diameter.
Cut the rest of the wire and apply some ca glue between the formed loops.
Then with a fine file,  make flat  the curved edges at the side and you've have your thimble...
Thx

Thimbles.jpg

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor, JerseyCity Frankie and 1 other like this

There are no bad or good model makers. There are only less or more experienced.

www.naftomodelismos.gr/English.html

In gallery

Tsernikoperama -  Trechantiri Brachera Bombarda Sabatiera -Tserniki vessel rigged as Penna - NE Aegean Sea Tserniki -Tserniki of Mykonos Island

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,304 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Thats the confederacy...

• mtaylor likes this

Roger Pellett

Roger Pellett
  • Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationDuluth, MN
I agre with Chuck, I just made some thimbles from standard hobby shop K &S brass tubing although I used a somewhat different method- I hadn't seen his post at the time. From some solid brass round bar I machined male and female dies. The male die was just a cylinder with a nipple machined on one end. The diameter of the nipple a slip fit for the id of the brass tube thimble stock.. I left a small radius between at the shoulder between the nipple and the round bar. As long as the diameter of the round bar is larger than the of of the brass tubing the actual diameter is unimportant.

The female die was just the same round bar stock with a hole center drilled. The diameter of rhe hole a slip fit with the male die nipple.

To make,a thimble,I first chucked the tubing in my lathe's head stock with only a sixteenth or so protruding. I chucked the male die in the tail stock. After turning on the lathe I fed the male die into the hole in the tubing. When the shoulder between the nipple and the round bar came in contact with the tubing it flared it. I then parted it off with a razor saw.

I then reversed the piece of tubing on the male die so that the flared end was pointing towards the lathe headstock, and I chucked the female die in the headstock. I started up the lathe and fed the male die into the female die, flaring the second end.

It was much easier than it sounds.

Roger
  • mtaylor, biltut and Canute like this

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 371 posts
Thanks Thanasis. I will also give that technique a try. BTW Chuck though it's a bit beyond my current skill set, are there plans available to build the Confederacy fully rigged?

Best,
John
  • mtaylor and Canute like this
Member:
Nautical Research Guild

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 371 posts
Thanks Roger.

I do hope it is easier than it sounds. Frankly, without pictures I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. Nevertheless, I appreciate your help.

Best,
John
  • mtaylor and Canute like this
Member:
Nautical Research Guild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.