IMAG6059.jpg

IMAG6088.jpg

IMAG6089.jpg

IMAG6094.jpg

IMAG6105.jpg

IMAG6107.jpg

IMAG6116.jpg

Hi Gaetan,

What is the vise setup you are showing here? It looks like a GRS vise itself, but is that also a GRS adjustable arm? I don't recall seeing anything like that on their website, that would hold their vise.

The ship is looking great, by the way. Beautiful carvings and details on the side galleries!

Your work continues to be an inspiration.

Mark

53 minutes ago, SJSoane said:

What is the vise setup you are showing here?

GRS makes some good vises for the jewelers. Rigidity is the first factor and the second one is the positioning. I began with  a GRS Microblock Ball Vise. Although it can take 3D positioning, it does not lock on a position. I guess it was created for the engravers making circles.

Then I tried the multi purpose vise. The vise itself is very well done and sturdy and it is done to rotate in 2 axes. Then, I discovered the BenchMate Encore QCX. It does have 3D positioning but it could be improve by rescaling some parts. Although this vise is very good for positioning, it is made to be used for a jewelers making rings, it does not have a vise. For years, I wanted a vise that could adjust in #D and always be lock. Finally, I saw that there was 2 tools which could the job, I just had to make an adaptor to combine the holder and the vise which is a screw rod between the vise and the holder. Also, this vise is easily remove from the table. A tapered plate easily hold the assembly. I can easily fix on the side of the table other combination. I did many variation to hold camera tripod heads.

multi-purpose vise.jpg

BenchMate Encore® QCX- Basic Package.jpg

IMAG6152.jpg

IMAG6122.jpg

That looks very nice...now the fun part!!!

Will you be carving from cherry as well?

Chuck

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Will you be carving from cherry as well?

Scale is the first factor to consider. Which part with what level of details is the second one and finally what wood to use?

Roughly, we can divide the carvings in 2 parts: human with fine details like the hands and face, decorations like flowers.

There are still many experiments to be made with different woods than boxwood. Pernambuco, ivory wood could be good examples of dense wood with fine grains which could be good. The safe way to use a wood that can take small details is to use boxwood.

Boxwood takes details of a figurehead as good as  at 1 /192 and 1/24 scale. But all the carvings do not need extreme fine details. Cherry is perfectly suitable for general carvings

One last point, Color, for this build, up to now, is made 100% from cherry wood. Ideally, I would like to use cherry for all the carvings, but unfortunately this wood will not take the fine details. The same thing is true for apple wood, I tried it for another figure head.

Ideally, I would prefer the figurehead  would be, also from the same wood, as the ret of the build: cherry wood, so that int this specific build, every part could be the same color.

There are many choices that a model ship builder has to deal with and the main rule should always be: it has to look harmonious. Tree nailing is a good example. It should be visible from close but not from far. If the contrat is too big, the eye will only see the nails, not the ship.

What is the last photo? Lighting in the working area is done by 8 LED lights mainly. Lat week, Our electricity company installed new thermostats, switches and electrical outlets. Every device is controllable via an app. I used the 4 electrical outlets to control the lighting with an Ipad, near the desk

IMAG6149.jpg

PB127247.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

IMAG6182.jpg

IMAG6184.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I tried a new way to take photos inside a ship with an endoscope from Amazon for $55 cdn. Wifi HD 5MP 3-8 cm. It is good for focal distance very close 3 to 8 cm only. There will be no good results for a complete deck. for this you will need a camera with auto focus capability like the Go Pro.

The camera can take photos and videos. 

Capture d’écran, le 2022-09-20 à 10.25.33.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...