Armed Virginia Sloop Patrick Henry by DocBlake - FINISHED - Lauck Street Shipyard - Scale = 1/32 - POF Admiralty Style

I completed the last bulkhead below deck and finished framing the main deck...a milestone!  Next is framing the quarterdeck.  The deck furniture is just set in place for the photos.  I'm also considering a companionway with open doors for the main hatch so the ladder leading below remains visible.

post-3900-0-58045300-1452711816_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-84361400-1452711834_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-24971400-1452711850_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-26589300-1452711868_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-80806800-1452711884_thumb.jpg

Another milestone!  The main deck and quarterdeck are framed in.  I'll need to give the deck framing a good sanding and then begin planking the inboard bulwarks. I milled my own redheart for the planking.  I think the color contrast will look good.

post-3900-0-72537800-1453140380_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-63749000-1453140401_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-71997000-1453140417_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

Hey Dave, she is looking real nice. That redheart is going to look great. How does that compare to bloodwood? 

Thanks for the "likes" everyone.

Don:  The red heart is much nicer to work with than bloodwood.  It's much less brittle and far less prone to splintering.  It's relatively easy to work with an X-Acto, much like pear but it does have a bit of a grain, and will split along the grain if your not careful.

Thanks Dave, I may have to look for some around here

I'm trying to decide what to do about the main hatch.  The plans call for a plain coaming and there are stairs leading below.  Lots of water in the bilge if it rains!  I made up a second coaming for the hatch and started construction of a companionway.  The top will be planks with a hinged portion shown folded back as is typical for this style of deck furniture.  It is a close fit, though because the hatch is right behind the main mast and I have to ensure clearance so that the hinged top can fold back without hitting the mast or the boom support.  I plan to have the front   doors mostly open so the ladder and cargo in the hold are visible, but I haven't figured out exactly how I'll handle that task.

post-3900-0-82322600-1453303194_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-57353200-1453303207_thumb.jpg

Very nice craftsmanship!

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Very nice Dave. Is that swiss pear and rosewood

Yup, Don.  Swiss pear and rosewood.  I'm really becoming a fan of swiss pear because of it's ease of working and I also love the color.  Unlike cherry there is virtually no grain.  I was fortunate enough to score a big slab of pear wood about a year ago.  It was 8 feet long so it had to be cut in half to ship.  The resulting slabs are each about 20" wide, 4 feet long and 3-1/2" thick.  A lifetime supply!

post-3900-0-17500800-1453382449_thumb.jpg

Yes Dave, that would be a lifetime supply...............and probably part of mine too. ;)  ;) ;)  ;)  ;)  :)  :)  

I can pm you my mailing address if required

Edited by donrobinson

I spent the weekend planking the inboard bulwarks with redheart.  The planks required a little tweaking at the stern to flow smoothly into the counter framing, but nothing too drastic.  At the bow, I did have to taper a few planks to get them all to fit.  Next is to add the treenails, clean up the gun ports and sand the bulwark smooth.  All the carbon soot from the simulated caulking and the glue stains will be sanded away!

post-3900-0-60559000-1453734841_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Back at it.  I finished the treenails on the inboard bulwark planking.  There were about 350 of them.  I used bamboo toothpicks and I think they turned out OK - visible but not overpowering.  Next comes the deck planking,  I was able to find some acrylic paint that exactly matches the color of the red heart bulwark planking once it's finished with poly.  Once the scuppers are cut on the inboard side, I'll paint the scuppers, sweep ports and inside of the gun ports and then seal them with some poly.

post-3900-0-68857700-1456880090_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-30963100-1456880131_thumb.jpg

Looking great Dave, good luck with those scuppers I know they aren't too much fun

Hi Dave,

Looks great!

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Looking good Doc.  What brand of paint are you using?  As for scuppers. better ye than me.  I always found them a pain.

David B

Hi David!

When I first started to build my MS Armed Virginia sloop I thought I would paint the model so I started looking around for paint colors that would look authentic.  Many models end up with the inner bulwarks painted 'fire engine red' and I didn't want that.   I was looking for something more subdued - like you might find in the mid 18th century.  I found a small 2 oz. sample of Benjamin Moore acrylic interior paint in the perfect color:  a muted red called "Tucson Red".  I never did paint the AVS but I found that the paint is almost a perfect match for red heart finished with polyurethane.

post-3900-0-94375500-1457118473_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

I'm interested to see that you've used (or at least of thought of using) Benjamin Moore paint in sample sizes. That is exactly what I did on my Constitution, but have been hesitant to mention it for fear of causing some of the purists out there to have a stroke. I was sure I was breaking a rule, but I knew it would take a bit of experimenting to get the colours right. There isn't a model paint supplier anywhere near where I live and ordering by mail coupled with trial and error was going to be a nightmare. We do have a Benjamin Moore dealer in town, but instead I used the house brand from our local Home Hardware (a Canadian chain.) The clerk there was enormously helpful and even researched pictures on line herself to help me find colours. While my green is only ok, I'm very happy with the dull pale red I found for the gun carriages. I also found a great colour to simulate natural wood which I'm using for the trim on the small boats as that basswood doesn't take even a light stain very well.

David

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

The reason many individuals do not use interior paint is because the paint hides much of the detail on a model.  The pigments are too big. 

David B

OK, I figured there must be a reason, but it's not an issue from my point of view.

D

You can dilute the acrylic and apply thin coats to avoid obscuring details.  It's not much of an issue when you're painting bulwarks, though.  In my case I plan to use the paint on the inside surfaces of the gun ports, sweep ports and scuppers.  No details to obscure!