HMS Pegasus by Landlubber Mike - Amati/Victory Models - Scale 1:64

Lovely planking, Mike.  The anchor stocks look super neat. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks great Mike. I'd probably do that pattern if I had my time over. I did anchor stock patterns on the wales but under the paint the pattern is all but invisible :( .

In answer to Brian's question my guess is the pattern make the deck planks much more rigid especially under the recoil wheel loads of the cannon. A straight run of planks may be more inclined to lift and pop off the beams. That's a pure guess on my part.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

I agree with Alistair.  There's a lot more surface area connected with the anchor stock planks which probably is a bit more rigid than just straight runs.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike -- That anchor stock planking looks terrific.  And the fact that you cut them out by hand is especially impressive.  I've wanted to do some of that, but my planking is pre-cut (except for 2 sheets on hand, which I am devoting to the spiled planks -- and which seem to exist on almost every row).  Do you use a knife or a chisel?

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin, thanks very much for the kind words.  For the straight planks, I used my Byrnes saw to rip planks of consistent width.  It's been a little tricky as my maple sheets are only 0.5mm thick, so the sheet has a tendency to slide under the fence even using the Grr-Ripper.  

So, for the anchor stocks, what I did was cross-cut the maple sheet to a little longer than the longest anchor plank.  From there, I marked out the width of the plank, then marked out the two angled lengths adding about 1mm on either end to account for the eventual sanding.  For what it's worth, I marked out the angled cuts on the same side where I cut the width of the plank - in other words, the apex of the anchor stock would be on the same side as the side I marked to cut for the full width of the plank.  Not sure it mattered - I just thought that if the other side was sanded to a nice smooth straight finish, then I could screw up the cut on the other side and it wouldn't make much difference as long as the width to the apex was correct.  

Next I used that straight edge tool and an X-acto to first cut the plank from the sheet, then I cut the two angled cuts.  If you look at the anchor stock plank runs, they go in pairs.  The straight edge of the first run goes against the prior row of planks, and then the second row's planks are essentially flipped upside down so that they fit into the first row, and then the second row gives you a straight edge to start the third row:

-- the first row is pretty easy.  All you have to do is make sure that the ends and apex line up onto your pre-marked frame lines, and that the ends are the same width.  Adding the extra 1-2mm helps to give you wiggle room as sometimes I found I cut the apex slightly to one side or the other.

-- the second row is where things get a little more tricky as the apex has to sit neatly into the open triangle area of the first row.  So, some sanding/cutting to get the apex just right, and of course, you need to get the ends to match up to each other and to the frame lines.  I found giving yourself a little extra room on either end was critical here.  The second run definitely required a lot more work than the first.

All in all, while time consuming, it was a lot easier to execute than it looks.  As long as you properly measure the lengths and widths of the plank, the apex/triangles should fit pretty neatly together even without much sanding.  I was worried that I would go through a lot of scrap as I was down to the second of three sheets (and still needed to do the quarterdeck and forecastle), but I only messed up one plank in the whole process.  So thankfully I should have plenty to finish - a reason for pushing forward on the deck at this time was to make sure I didn't need to order anything else from Jeff before the end of the year.

It's always tricky to explain stuff like this, but hope that this was clear and that it helps.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Very, very nice job on the decking Mike. I really like the anchor stock  , looks a little tricky  to do, but you did an excellent job!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your  family.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks very much Frank.  Merry Christmas and Happy 2015 to you and your loved ones as well!

Mike

Superb work on that deck mike. It's given me the inspiration to try it one day. Merry christmas and all the best for 2015

Thanks very much Timmo, glad to hear that it gave some inspiration.  Beautiful work on your Granado by the way.  Best wishes to you and your family this Christmas and 2015!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

nice deck planking Mike,

Looks very nice and neat, can imagine that its requires much concentration to cut off the correct side for the taper on the planks

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you B.E. and Nils, happy holidays and a 2015 to you and your families!  I was just messaging a member that this hobby is so great in that it lets you meet so many nice people from around the world :)

I've been calling it anchor stock planking, but top and butt planking is probably more accurate, thanks B.E.  You guys should try it - while a lot more time consuming than merely laying straight planks, it wasn't all that difficult to execute.  If you think about it, it all comes down to the properties of triangles.  Once you have the three lengths, you can only make the triangle one way.  So, I cut them slightly bigger, then used a sanding block to slowly work them back until they fit well.  I cheated a bit in some cases where I bent the plank laterally to close the gap with the plank above it, but that ended up leaving me with a curved side on the other end of the plank, causing me issues with the next run of planks where I needed to custom sand to fill that curve.  So, stick with the straight planks as much as possible and you should be ok.

I just found a good picture of the difference between "anchor stock planking" and "top and butt planking" - always nice to get my terminology right, thanks B.E.!

post-1194-0-10755100-1419345662.jpg

Mike

Mike -- It's amazing what oil will do to wood.  The pear with the tung oil looks mighty nice, though over the years it could lose some of the depth.  Some of the grain seems to get lost in the stains -- at least in these photos.  And it is striking how dark that redheart gets on the end grain -- I had no idea it would go like that.  But the middle test strip, with the redheart & oil looks spectacular.  It's surprising that the pear would get so dark with the blue stain -- though the maple looks very nice indeed, with the grain still visible.

All very informative.

Hey Martin,

Last night I tried out some old matt varnish that I had leftover from my Badger build on some scrap redheart.  The darkening effect on the end grain is much much less than what I was getting with tung oil.  So, that could be an option if you have end-grain pieces that are exposed.  

When I cut out the extensions for bulkheads 4 and 8, I wasn't thinking about the end grain issues and cut the extensions so that the grain runs parallel to the deck - so, the part of the extensions facing the midline of the ship are all end grain and highly visible.  I could probably get away with oiling them in that the effect might come across as more of a shading effect from the forecastle and quarterdeck, but I might just varnish those sides and oil the remaining sides as the redheart looks much nicer oiled on the non-end grain sides.  I'll have to see if the contrast of the finishes will be acceptable or not.  I thought about maybe cutting out new extensions, but given that I already locked in the current extensions and the upper deck is on, the new ones would have less contact area with the main body of the bulkheads and I fear would be less stable.  So, I think I'm nixing that idea and hopefully the varnish would work. 

Even though it came with my Badger kit, I never used the varnish before.  The results were very encouraging, but the varnish seemed a little old and milky.  So, I ordered matt varnish from Humbrol and Vallejo to test out.  I'll probably also test out Wipe-on Poly.  Stay tuned :)

Mike

Thanks Joe!   I've been taking notes on how you did the tiller assembly and rails on your Granado.  I might have to shamelessly steal some ideas from you :)

Merry Christmas and a happy 2015 to you and your family!

Mike

Hi Mike -- The saga of wood coloring continues!  Your commentary (on the previous page) about the effect of the matte finish on the end-grain reminded me that this past weekend I was killing time out in my workshop, and I noticed the chunk of redheart I'd bought from Woodcraft several months back and had cut strips from to build my capstan.  When I bought the wood, it was encased in a layer of wax that I had to scrap off.  And when I'd done cutting the pieces for the capstan, I negligently left the remainder lying on the workbench by the window.  What I noticed is that it had gotten significantly darker, just as Jeff had told you it would do.  It's still red-ish, though very dark, and well on the way toward blackish.  Now, my capstan has 3 coats of poly, and it currently resides in a windowless room; it is still happily red.

I'm still kinda thinking of planking the inner bulwarks with redheart, but might opt for stained boxwood if the redheart does go black.  I think, just as an experiment, I'll cut off a piece from the original chunk of redheart, and leave by the window to see what happens over the next few months.

Thanks for the detailed account of cutting those top & butt / anchor planks -- I have a rip-taper jig for my Byrnes, but haven't really managed to perfect its use yet.  But, in working on the second layer of planking for my Fly, I'm encountering more challenges than I'd expected or hoped for, so maybe this would be a good time to add triangles into the stew.

Happy holidays (and with twins, you're sure to make Santa thrilled),

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Thank you very much Chris!

Martin, are you sure you are using redheart and not bloodwood?  My understanding is that redheart loses its "redness" and turns more of an orangy-brown.  Bloodwood looks like it turns very dark brown over time though - take a look here, which shows both woods (midway down the page is redheart, immediately followed by bloodwood):

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_color%20change/index.htm

I'm glad I went with redheart over bloodwood after looking at these pictures.  Frankly, even if the redheart loses some of its color, I'll still at least have some contrast against the other woods - I'll just have to take lots of pictures upon completion and keep the model in the dark :rolleyes:   You might be right that a better approach if you want long-term red is to stain something like boxwood or pear.  Does boxwood take stain well?  The pear seems to, but I've heard mixed things about boxwood.

It also seems like finishes with UV protection only delay the inevitable.  The guy at Woodcraft said the UV protectant breaks down as the UV hits it, which seems consistent with what the guy in the link was experiencing.  Even 10 coats of UV-blocking polyurethane didn't have much effect on box elder.

I have the rip taper jig on my Byrnes saw also.  That's probably the absolutely precise way to cut these planks.  Since the maple was only 0.5mm, aside from it going under the fence, I found it at times tents up a bit making it critical to hold the piece down on the saw.  At 0.5mm, it's super easy to cut by hand so just went with that approach.

Happy holidays to you and your family.  My twins are just under two and don't fully get Santa yet, but my eldest at almost five gets it a little too well.  It's definitely a fun time of year.  If you have kids, hope you're enjoying this time with them :)

Mike

Mike -- I honestly can't remember what the label on the wood said when I bought it.  Looking at those pictures, though, I'd say it was more like bloodwood's changing tone, but it isn't really moving toward brown, but more toward dark, blackish blood.  Yecch.

The problems I'm having with the boxwood only have to do with bending it, since it's dense enough not to bend as easily as softer woods or woods with more open grains, like walnut.  Still, it's a pleasure to cut and shape.

No kids here, just a very old dog, one lone remaining horse, the Missus and her beer-loving spouse (who has promised her fresh ravioli for Christmas eve).

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

To quote the title of my favorite western, last night was the good, the bad and the ugly (*cue music from the Sergio Leone classic*).  No pictures at the moment as it was late when I got done, but I'll post some tonight or later this week.

The Good:  I cut out card templates for the remaining upper deck planking.  The templates should help a lot as the two remaining top and butt planks per side won't have a straight long side, but instead it will be curved to fit the curvature of the hull and accommodate the margin planks that will be a consistent width.  I figured I would do it now, as bulkheads 5-7 get removed after the gunport pattern is fixed to the hull (and the template would be much harder once the gunport patterns are attached).  

I then went ahead and sanded down the mostly completed upper deck planking.  I started with 220 grit to get the deck smooth, then went with a light sanding of 400 and 600 grit, and finished with rubbing down the deck with an old t-shirt (mostly, to remove the remnants of small dust that settled in the caulk lines).  There were four or five tiny gaps in the planking edges that were easily fixed by adding a tiny bit of PVA and sanding the area so that the dust closed up the gaps - nice little trick that works very well.  I really couldn't be more pleased with the deck - it's coming out much better than I was expecting.  

The Bad:  Feeling excited by the deck, I decided to soak the gunport patterns while I went ahead and faired the port side bulkheads (I had already faired the starboard side a couple of weeks ago).  Like the starboard side, I started the fairing process with a drum sander attached to my Dremel.  As feared, the redheart bulkhead extensions are very fragile.  For whatever reason, I had no problems on the starboard side last time, but snapped two of the extensions (bulkheads 2 and 3) while sanding on the port side (one I think was already weakened from a prior repaired break).  Each time when I got to the top of the bulkhead, I think the torque of the drum was just too much and it snapped the extension close to the base.

The Ugly:  Undeterred, I decided to fit the gunport patterns which to this point had been soaking for a few hours.  I figured I would fit them, let them dry overnight, and then probably repeat the process another two times to get a nice smooth curvature.  What a pain!  I sorta knew what to expect going in having fit the one-piece pattern to my Badger build and having read about the difficulties from other Swan class builders here.  What was frustrating was that (1) neither the kit instructions nor the plans have any reference points aside from fitting the top of the patterns to the top of the bulkhead extensions, and (2) the plans themselves were incorrect in that they appear to show the jigsaw connection of the two patterns sitting on the bulkhead 9 extension.  Spyglass posted a good set of reference points on Martin's Fly log that I wish I had remembered seeing earlier - but, after some fiddling, confusion and a few choice words, I came to his same conclusion that the jigsaw pattern actually sits aft of the bulkhead 9 extension.

My language got very colorful when in working on the starboard side, I snapped the extension for bulkhead 4  :angry:  So, that's three extensions I will need to fix.  I have a feeling that I will use epoxy to fix them, and then add any final fairing touch ups by sanding with just my fingers and sandpaper.  Structurally, once the patterns and planking are on, I think things should be strong enough not to have to worry about them in the future.  The stem area is going to be a little tricky as the patterns are slightly longer at the stem and need to be filed back a bit - looking back, I wish I left the stem off until after the planking.  The good news is that the stem is perfectly aligned with the keel, but bad news is that there's not much room to work the pattern with the stem on, and I have a feeling planking is not going to be that much fun.  

All in all, the patterns looked pretty good this morning.  I still need to do a little more fairing of the bulkheads in some sections, but I can see soaking and fitting the extensions another two or three times to ensure a smooth fit.  I'll post Spyglass' tips below, and later post my findings (which after reading his tips this morning, my fitting experience is very consistent with his) and some pictures.  This is an agonizing process as the patterns really set the stage for the build and so you want to get it right. 

Mike

Here are some very good and comprehensive tips and reference points that Spyglass kindly shared on Martin's Fly log.  Hope he doesn't mind, but I thought I would post them here as well (thanks Spyglass!):

I traced the sheets onto thick paper and used that as a quick check for alignment. Cut seperate ones and also a joined set with the two halves set in line from the plans.  I would strongly advise trying to fit the strips without the bulkheads being firmly fixed. There is to much pressure needed to shape the strips

I cant see my notes on this in my log - perhaps it got lost in the big bang.

*  I queried the ply sheets sizing with Chris Watton  who told me that he makes the strips a bit long.

* I found the following the most important line up is of course along the top of the bulkhead - t if those are seated correctly the strip line is fine.

* The "jigsaw" join does NOT lie on  the bulkhead 9 as shown in the plan but well aft of it ,with only about 1mm of the stern strip top "tongue" actually on bulk head 9 ( pics on my log)

Even with the jigsaw joint set back as above - and with what I think is a good amount of fairing on the front bulkheads - the front strips STILL overlap at the stem -  I needed to shorten the strips by 1 - 2mm and recut the bowsprit hole every time.  TIP - putting a "stub" bowsprit in place and letting the strip cut outs sit against it before trimming gives  a good vertical reference point at the stem

* Repeated soaking and clamping CAN get all the curves in place and suddenly the b*** strips can fit perfectly - but it  is really hard to do. I usually ended up doing three sets of soaking and clamping to get it OK.

* Do take the trouble to clamp to get the vertical "s" curves in following the bulk head shapes - it makes for lovely lines and more importantly putting the curves in seems to help the sheet to get the right fit..

* The stern ply sheet is too long obviously and needs trimming.

* Strangely - moving the sheets back as described above doesnt seem to put the ports in the wrong position !!!

So theres my two pennyworth.

You may like to note that I use bulkhead 6  and fit and check the deck beams for BH 4 and 8 as reference points for the strips,

AN ADDITIONAL EDIT

II could have been clearer about my reference points i think, Try again

Right at the stem fit a short stub bowsprit and let the sheet cut outs sit clasping it even though they will bt a few mm forward before they are trimmed.

Amidships I temporarily pin the sheet flush with top of BH 6

At BH 8 with the "fancy" beam in place allow about 2mm for deck ply and planking and that I beleive should be then flush with top o sheet at that point.

At BH 4 its not really a hard reference point but i make sure its even both sides which ensures the curves match I have about 3.5 mm above the deckbeam fitted and my present build.  That should bring teh rear top edge to correspond also to the top of BH 9

For the rear strip obviuosly it start from the aft top edge of the forward strip and it really just needs to continue a nice  line until the stern when it should match the stern counter supports THOUGH IT WILL BE TOO LONG

Mike

In a big way, Mike, it's the gunport strips that serve as the initiation rite into the Pegasus/Fly builders club.  If you can get them on without the neighbors complaining about your language, you're in.  It took me 3 tries (oooh, those pesky neighbors -- why don't they just turn up their stereo!  ;) )

Sausage rolls are always good.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Enjoy the sausage rolls Spyglass.  And Martin, I can't wait to get through this initiation period.  It's not difficult, but the importance and finality of it make this a nerve-wracking process!  Here are some pictures of my work yesterday.  

Card templates of the remaining planking work:

post-1194-0-12816900-1419460203_thumb.jpg

Sanded deck (sanding the planks to an even surface as made the planking look nice and tight, and has made the caulking lines look more subdued and even in color - I think a nice result):

post-1194-0-67314000-1419460237_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-28092400-1419460249_thumb.jpg

Round one of the gunport template fitting.  From what I can tell from other plans, I think the patterns are in the right place - but please tell me if I'm mistaken!  For round two, I'll try to get the front end of the stem pieces to have that nice rounded look, and will start working the lower part of the templates and the curves a bit more.  I got pretty close with round one, but another round or two of working the templates should do the trick.

post-1194-0-33259200-1419460563_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-97688000-1419460589_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-85281400-1419460605_thumb.jpg

Mike

Mike - that really is some deck, very very impressive result, amazing how tightly you've fitted those awkward planks, really hope you're still going to be able to see most of the detail when everything else comes together.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Bravo, Mike!  Looks like you've got the strips on -- and on the first try, no less, well you're there.

And that deck is something to behold.  Bravo again!

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Mike,

Just catching up, wow! you're really taking Amati's Pegasus to the next level my friend, those are some fine looking modifications, and your choice of wood looks great too, very nice work B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks very much guys.  Hope you and your families had a nice holiday.

Jason - I would think that most of the details will be covered up as I am thinking of having a very busy deck showing a working ship in sails (probably a mixture of full of furled).  But, it was fun to try out and improve my skills a bit.

Spyglass - I did adjust the clamps a bit to help get the curves in.  I'll detail a little more in my next post, but it was a bit tricky with the redheart extensions.

Martin - first try, but hours of finagling, running back and forth to the plans and your log and others, etc.  The pictures above don't show all the blood, sweat and tears that went into fitting them (well, no blood this time).

Aldo - thanks very much.  Hope you are doing well my friend.  I hope you don't mind, but I copied some pictures off your log showing your main bitts construction.  They will be very helpful resources, thank you!

Mike

Well, after two nights of frustration, colorful language and adult beverages, the gunport patterns are on!  As with my Badger build, fitting the gunport patterns is the most stressful part of the build, and it's good to get this stage behind me.  So much of the alignment is keyed to the proper fitting of them, and unlike most items where if you don't like the part, you can remove and replace it, the gunport patterns are pretty much there to stay.  

I know that kit manufacturers use the patterns to make things easier overall, but it really would be helpful if they provided a little more instructions and guidelines to help people along.  The Caldercraft Badger instructions were fairly good, but the Pegasus instructions really only said to fit the patterns against the tops of the bulkheads.  They should tell you how much extra material is built into the bulkheads, how to fit them at the stem, how to fit them at the stern extensions, etc.  The plans also incorrectly show the jigsaw connection sitting on bulkhead 9 - from my fitting and other logs on here, the connection is just aft of that bulkhead.  In addition, I found that the bowsprit hole in the patterns is pretty worthless - you can see in my next post how much I had to sand back the fore edge of the pattern.

The first soaking and fitting got the patterns in a very good shape aside from the bottom (I didn't pin the bottoms of the patterns, so they lacked that gentle curve against the middle of the hull).  When I soaked them for the second time however, the patterns relaxed a bit and straightened out a bit.  So, while I had planned on soaking and fitting them three times, I ended up just doing it twice.

Here are some pictures when I started with the starboard side.  My approach was to get the two halves pinned and clamped, then start with the end of the front pattern and work my way forward.  Then I worked the back pattern starting from the jigsaw connection to the stern.  When I got to the stem, I slowly sanded the fore edge back until it fit snug against the stem.  I don't think you can fit the patterns starting at the stem and working towards the stern - aligning the patterns at the middle was a much better approach I think.

post-1194-0-96777900-1419785247_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-71237200-1419785264_thumb.jpg

I bought these planking pins from Micromark for my Badger, but never used them.  I found them absolutely indispensable for attaching the bottom of the patterns on the Pegasus.  They really helped ensure that the patterns fit tightly against the bulkheads, and for the ends of the patterns against the stem.  They have a very strong screw with tight threads, so once you get it into the bulkheads, they worked like a charm.  They are knurled though, so they are pretty rough on your fingers when trying to get them started into the MDF.

post-1194-0-09275700-1419785456_thumb.jpg

I'll post the final pictures in the next post.

Mike