Hi,

finally the third HMS Pandora now. I started this project years ago and it was suspended quite a while. At the beginning of this year I did revisit it and finalized it. I am currently doing the first big render tests and put first results on YouTube:

Some photes of the same setting here:

8747964558_4b4a84243a_b.jpg

8746840741_21eec3fa08_b.jpg

8747963408_556c9ae366_b.jpg

Edited by Magnus

Very impressive, Magnus! The render times must be enormous. What´s the polycount of the model? :)

lol - i hope you get the answer - as i don't understand the question

Hello Bava,

Polygons: 4.323.536 (10.167.557)*

Objects: 29.848 (61.648)*

()* incl. instances

24 frames per second. Each frame takes 3-4 minutes on a decent double quad-core computer.

My electricity bill will be horrible ...

Could be just an illusion, but she seems to be riding awfully low in the water (as in too low).  Must have taken on enough stores for a long West Indies tour!!!  But absolutely beautiful none the less.....and a great job of rendering.

Tom

Edited by twintrow

Right, had already been complaint about by others as well. Will be corrected ... this is the least problem.

I very much admire the way you allow the rigging to hang. Excellent work!

Tony

Well then, something I had been after for a long time, the depiction of a convincing continous ocean surface reaching to the horizon is finally achieved. The surface is fully based on a deformed mesh plane (for the 3D people: use the Houdini Ocean Toolkit) animated with waves, wind and movement against the speed of the ship. I will see what I can do with it although it brings my computer resources to its absolute limits ...  Further down find a new animation within this environment. This time with sound. It is not perfect tough. The ocean still has a butterfly effect (has been fixed meanwhile), the horizon has a flaw (also fixed) and the bow wave is a little bit out of control ( still a challenge).

8730972021_4298bc3497_b.jpg

Animation:

Edited by Magnus
tkay11, PeteB, qwerty2008 and 1 other like this

Thanks, a source of inspiration. It is a perfect model and a real pleasure to see.

Magnus, it's looking great. I see a future career maybe in the movie industry.

David

Maybe in my second life  :)

Hello,

my latest activities result in the need of extending the memory of my computer beyond 12Gig. As I am waiting for the memory modules some animations here that I made a long time ago ...

Turning the lower yard more than 30° results in a collision with the shrouds. Therefore I had to simulate what I think might have been the solution to the problem. Pushing the first rope of the shrouds a little bit while the yard is moved out a little bit forwards:

This animation depicts the lifting of the yards while affected ropes and blocs move synchronously:

Finally the animation of a gun and its rigging when being moved out and fired:

More soon.

Edited by Magnus
PeteB and st george like this

Awesome stuff!  I only wish I had the time to learn to use this stuff - provides a fantastic method to visualize the actual workings of the ship.  These must take you an amazing amount of time and effort to produce?