HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi Guys,

To answer your question about the use of CA, I dont really know why, the instructions call for the use of thick CA and so I thought I would follow them, I dont know why as this instruction has never been given before.

I must admit I do prefere to use PVA and will go back to using it, I may use CA on the bow section where I am unable to use clamps and require a strong & quick hold.

Thanks for asking gents and I hope I have answered your question.

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

What about the gel CA glue? It gives you the quick strong bond, is easier to spread and doesn't sink into the fibre of the wood. Then you can pva the sides to the other planks and wipe the excess pva.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Hi Demonborger

I wasnt aware that there was a gel CA, I dont think I can get it from my  hobby shop and I've never seen it advertised so I will just use PVA and thick CA, the thick CA does'nt bleed into the wood but it very quick to cure.

Thanks for the tip and rest assured I will look out for it. :)

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

No, there are 4 viscosities available in the US.  Thin, medium, thick and gel.

http://www.zapglue.com/cas/

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mobbsie,

One way to do it is to put PVA on the plank.  Put a tiny drop of CA on the hull about where the ends of the plank will go.  Install the plank and hold for a few seconds.  The CA will immediately cure out due to the moisture of the PVA. But.. it is a "quick" process.  I've done this but only used the CA at the end "around the bend"... the longer part I push into position and then work the plank around.  The last thing pressed into position is the end with the CA.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Guys,

Keith, I have three types of CA, a Zap which is thin, Grip which is medium and Admiralty which is the thick, looking at the thick there is no mention of a gel. i dont have any debonder either so care is the word of the day.

Augie, Thanks mate, now I know for sure that it is produced I will keep a weather eye open for it, do you know if the gel only come those tubes, and thanks very much for the link.

Mark, Thanks for the tip mate, I have used both together before but I got into an awfull mess so tend to stay away from that combo, I got the two mixed and it was a nightmare.

My planking has come to a short stop at the moment, what with pressure washing ( just finished ) and now a 2nd birthday party to go to, there doesnt seem much time but hopefully be back on it tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again for your input and tips gents.

mobbsie

mobbsie

I've only seen the gel in tubes Mobbsie.  Catch you when you retire from the party circuit.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

looking forward in seeing your update Mobbsie...........duty calls! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Party on, Mobbsie.... Aggie and the rest of us will be here waiting.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As the Beatles once sang ---- 'It's a clean machine!!!!'

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hello Mobbsie,

The animaatjes-postbode-58458.gif came today, and guess what ……...

post-45-0-25923100-1366380584_thumb.jpg

So, whenever you're ready, you can start the rigging and join the rigging club.

PS - Do I have your permission to open the package to see if the content is correct?

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Anja,

By all means do and thank you.

Please allow me to add my hearty congratulations you on your new post, I'm sure that with every bodies help you will prove to be a worthy member of a well respected team and will make a success of your new task.

Just dont forget to build and post some progress soon.

Again congrats

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie! You've been pressure washing your model???  :o

:P

Bummer!

Hi Eric, I moored up to close the Le Mirage or should I say " the Ark " :D

As the Beatles once sang ---- 'It's a clean machine!!!!'

It is now Augie ;)  :D

Well due to those bl---y tubes I made for the gunport linings I've now gone and run out of 1 x 10mm strip for the rest of the linings. :angry:  :angry:

I've had to chop out 12 gunport linings because the gunports were the wrong size, made the adjustment and made up new linings and fitted them and now I've run out of strip. :o  :(  :(

The new gunports are right for the lids but I'm not entirely convinced they are the correct size, they look far too big, still right or wrong I'm not altering them again.

Gonna have to order some more strip so in the meantime planking continues using PVA and on the bends CA. :)

No pics yet, but hopefully soon.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Anja,

By all means do and thank you.

Please allow me to add my hearty congratulations you on your new post, I'm sure that with every bodies help you will prove to be a worthy member of a well respected team and will make a success of your new task.

Just dont forget to build and post some progress soon.

Again congrats

mobbsie

Hello Mobbsie,

Thank you very much my friend.  I will certainly do my best to become a worthy member of the team.

And I promise, I won't forget to build.

Everything seems to be in order with the contents of the box.  If you're online tonight, we can show you.

Take care and say hello to Chris for me.

Anja 

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Frank,

Nice to hear from you buddy.

Ya I have some rope from Morope, I cant get on his web site so Anja & Sjors kindly offered to get it for me and bring it over when they come.

Sorry I missed you Anja / Sjors but I'm on line now.

mobbsie

mobbsie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mobbsie, looking forward to seeing how your gunports turned out, I must say it the process sounds a bit harrowing!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Anja, your a diamond.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Wow! You  are on fire Mobbsie, I've been absent for less than a month and now I see that you're already making the quarter galleries :) Beautiful work on the galleries Sir, and planking looks magnificent too! Top-notch job as always my friend B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Aldo,

Thanks for looking in my friend and your very kind comments.

Progress has slowed right now as I'm in the middle of the 2nd planking, I haven't posted an update of that yet as it's all pretty mundane and boring stuff, well it is to me anyway.

I hate planking, which is why it is taking so long, about 2/3 through below the wale, then I will post an update and carry on with the remainder above the wale. :(  :(  :(

mobbsie

mobbsie

Good answer, Mobbsie - solid story!  Given the acre of planking you have to do, I am not at all surprised it is taking awhile!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Pierre,

Bet I make more mistakes than you though.

This is turning out to be a very slow build for me, but to be fair she is the largest I've attempted so far.

I'll be a very happy bunny when the planking is completed. Still onwards and upwards.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie

Don’t give up the ship!

I think that’s a problem with those behemoths. Basically it’s the same work than on a, for example, Pegasus but much, much more of it. And if you hate repetitive work such a project is really tedious.

You make me think about my next build (I would like a 74 or the Agamemnon) but perhaps it would be wiser to look for a frigate like the Diana, Surprise (???) or perhaps chucks Winchelsea if he could provide us somehow with the difficult parts.

Take care

Peter