Cap, we are expecting "hair" story !!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

No.

Not many people need to make coconuts ...

... or do they ???

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Maybe do not need coco... but sure need idea

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

A cheap and cheerful dremel clamp/holder.  Pics are self explanatory

post-1505-0-14912900-1418345992_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-33619400-1418346019_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Your post just gave me a ton of ideas.  Thanks!

CONNECTOR SLEEVES

These are used to loop nylon fishing line. They are crushed to hold the line in place but are made of brass and come in different lengths and diameters. Once the protective covering is removed (inside and out) they can be used with brass wire and copper sheeting to make gudgeons and pintles.

post-1505-0-44405000-1418419506_thumb.jpg

They are available at most fishing tackle stores

post-1505-0-38222800-1418419811_thumb.jpg post-1505-0-09430300-1418419833_thumb.jpg

I cut one in half to produce the `hinge' part of the pintle and gudgeon.

post-1505-0-92150700-1418419943_thumb.jpg post-1505-0-12867400-1418419961_thumb.jpg

After a bit of silver soldering and blackening, they come out quite well!!

post-1505-0-88117100-1418420098_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

STAINLESS STEEL SCREWS FOR EYGLASSES HINGES

Available on ebay for around $5.00 per box - enough to last a lifetime.

post-1505-0-33780900-1418448496_thumb.jpg post-1505-0-50532400-1418448469_thumb.jpg

I sometimes have trouble getting nails holding gudgeons and pintles to stay in the rudder (even with glue)

I have experimented with using these micro screws instead

post-1505-0-54766200-1418448609_thumb.jpg post-1505-0-74719400-1418448641_thumb.jpg

Screws have CA glue applied to thread. Once in place I file back the heads.

post-1505-0-38167600-1418448708_thumb.jpg

Then paint!!

I'm sure there are other ways to use these micro screws in a build.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Your post just gave me a ton of ideas.  Thanks!

... just another of the many services we offer here at Kit-Basher's.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hair Clippings (yes, Human Hair)

Cap, we are expecting "hair" story !!!

No.

Not many people need to make coconuts ...

... or do they ???

Maybe do not need coco... but sure need idea

For those wondering just what the above dialogue was all about:

I had made some coconuts from Sculpey to be included as decorative detail on my Bounty Launch build ...

post-675-0-07752100-1418478678_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-43669300-1418478691_thumb.jpg

... but, the husked coconuts just seemed to be too smooth and shiny.

... and so I came upon the idea to finely chop up a handful of hair (collected from the floor of my neighbourhood barber). The baked, plaster coconuts were coated with PVA glue, and then rolled around in a bowl of the hair-clippings.

post-675-0-31045400-1418478703_thumb.jpg

Once the glue had dried, I cleaned off any excess follicles. To me, the result looks a lot more realistic.

post-675-0-41660400-1418478717_thumb.jpg

(Sorry it took me so long, Nenad)

Footnote: Never try to argue with a lawyer ... you cannot possibly hope to win!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

A couple more simple ideas

Take a used No. 11 blade and grind it down as shown in pic below:

post-1505-0-81361600-1419138795_thumb.jpg   

Slit a piece of dowel and insert the blade so that the square(reverse) end is protruding from the dowel.

Bind with cord.

post-1505-0-15275000-1419138827_thumb.jpg

Because the `butt end' of the blade is `square,' it makes a good scraper to remove excess glue for jobs such as

fitting  the second layer of planking.

post-1505-0-52228200-1419139000_thumb.jpg

Pegs screwed to a T shaped base board are good for holding parts for gluing and  painting.

post-1505-0-02544000-1419139199_thumb.jpg

Golf tees have a large base which is easy to glue to a board. I grind down the tee shaft to the desired diameter then use them to hold cannon for airbrushing.

post-1505-0-31760500-1419139294_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

DISECTED EMPTY BIC LIGHTER / FINE CROCHET THREAD(side 3 to100/color ecru)

The masts on a ship in a bottle use a form hinge to "flatten" masts to fit thru bottle neck. Cut masts and place spring to rejoin masts, flatten out and incert into bottle.

The part where fuel comes out I used for belay pins(1:24)

The fine crochet(6 cord/mercerized) use for lines and sailmaking. Wax will dark thread, could be stained to your liking.

Great topic CaptainSteve, Matt.

post-17116-0-35822300-1419569094_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-85152900-1419569156_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-88742700-1419569267_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-67243200-1419569317_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-49977000-1419569375_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-70204000-1419570288_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-60961500-1419570522_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-23075300-1419572014_thumb.jpg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Beading tools.  Some nice tools used to hold beads, ream holes in beads and thread beads on a string.  Some these can be found being sold as "special" tools for modeling but if you look under beading tools on ebay or elsewhere you can usually find the same thing a lot cheaper.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Beading tools.  Some nice tools used to hold beads, ream holes in beads and thread beads on a string.  Some these can be found being sold as "special" tools for modeling but if you look under beading tools on ebay or elsewhere you can usually find the same thing a lot cheaper.

I've used these very successfully for rigging ... especially for threading dead-eye pairs.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

TUBE ASSORTMENT / ANY SCALE

I found these little grab bags at my local hobby shop and went back to get another, and none were to be found. Well eBay is the place to go. Search "k&s 320" also may add to that search "tube assortment"(changing a word or two will find you more items)

I bought 5 bags for a bit over $16 shipping included.

It made quick work for the pintles and gudgeons on my Bounty Launch.

Matt

post-17116-0-66044100-1419945973_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-58618500-1419945996_thumb.jpg

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

I believe MicroMark offers similar grab bags but, as I recall, not at that price.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

TUBE ASSORTMENT / ANY SCALE

I found these little grab bags at my local hobby shop and went back to get another, and none were to be found. Well eBay is the place to go. Search "k&s 320" also may add to that search "tube assortment"(changing a word or two will find you more items)

I bought 5 bags for a bit over $16 shipping included.

It made quick work for the pintles and gudgeons on my Bounty Launch.

Matt

Just ordered 3 bags off eBay today.  Great find.  Hobbylinc also carries this item and has a good price on it.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

CLEAR PLASTIC JARS OR BOTTLES, BRASS TUBING & STUBBORNNESS

The Captain invited me to his table to share how I recently made a compass box for my whaleboat. One of the pieces needed was a 'glass' lens for the compass. I ended up using a piece of clear plastic cut from the side of a plastic jar. The curvature of the jar adds a bit of magnification to the lens which makes a nice effect.

post-218-0-16095900-1420175142_thumb.jpg

It proved tougher than I expected to make a little lens and I ended up with a few rejects.

post-218-0-82734400-1420175161_thumb.jpg

Here's what I learned from my failed attempts:

1) Do not shape it with sandpaper or a double-cut file. The thicker jar plastic actually seems to be a 3-layer lamination, and I'm guessing the heat from coarser shaping methods causes a de-lamination that clouds up the edge of the lens. It actually swells up too. In hindsight, the really flimsy clear water bottles are probably a single layer and may not have these problems. However, it may be the thickness of the jars that help create the little bit of magnification. I don't know if all of the thicker plastic containers are laminations. More testing is needed!

2) When using a single cut file, don't keep filing for long in the same place or the heat will start clouding the plastic.

3) Use scissors to cut the plastic as close to the final shape as possible so you don't have to file very much. Don't try to cut tight curves with scissors though or it will cloud up. Cut straight litle segments instead of curves, and then file to a smooth curve.

4) It's really hard to file a perfect circle. I wasn't able to.  :(

The compass box itself was made with thin pieces of hardwood because I was concerned the tiny box joint fingers would snap off if I used too soft of a wood. This is 1mm thick purpleheart. I used guitar nut slotting files and progressively widened the little slots between fingers from .010" up to .032" wide. These files cut a rounded bottom (for guitar strings) so I squared up the corners of the .032" slots with the skinny .010" file tilted to get into the corners. The joints were then fine tuned for fit with 320 grit sandpaper. The sides of the box were labeled for orientation since the joints at each corner were unique. It's a little tedious but it looks cool! If I were going to do a lot of this sort of thing, I think that I would jig up a Dremel flex shaft with a cut-off wheel under a little table and cut the pieces just as you would at 1:1 on a table saw with a sled.

post-218-0-58140900-1420175189_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-42284600-1420175201_thumb.jpg

Here's the pieces ready to assemble. The housing is a short piece of brass tubing. The rose compass was from Google Images, and I found that if I put the image into a Word document, I could shrink it way down with decent resolution by grabbing the corner of the image and making it tiny on the document itself before printing. I shaped a piece of cedar to almost fit inside the tubing and then pressed it in and the tubing shaved it to shape. If you happen to have a dowel of the right size, just use that. Note that the end of the cedar that the compass rose is attached to is intentionally at a slight angle. I was after the effect of the compass tilting on its mounting giblets....mounting gimlets?...mounting gimbals? Anyway, whatever those mounting thingies are called that alows a compass to self-level.

post-218-0-43140300-1420175214_thumb.jpg

The assembled compass box:

post-218-0-83915300-1420175234_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-52077400-1420175252_thumb.jpg

Best wishes and Happy Nw Year!

EDIT TO ADD: This compass box is 1:25th scale and is 7mm x 7mm x 5mm tall with a compass (brass tubing o.d.) diameter of about 3/16" overall.

Those of you building the Bounty Launch are at 1:16 or 3/4" scale. The compass box sizing is from my New Bedford Whaleboat plans, which are also 3/4" scale, so your compass box should be a huge 7/16" x 7/16" x 5/16" tall with a compass diameter about 5/16" overall. :D 

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Arrr ...

Thank Ye, Buck !! 

Methinks your compass will be making an appearance in a few upcoming Bounty Launch builds ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hmmm ... that could just work, Geoff.

(Dang !! Now I have to get Buck to re-do the whole thing!!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey Buck,

Absolutely incredible! I really like the finger joints on the box. I think CaptainSteve is right that this may become part of many builds.

Matt

very cool. Another option for the lens is Mod-Podge. Available at arts n crafts places. Dries clear.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

If an adventurous soul wished to try, they may even take a 3mm to 4mm watch-hand and magnetise it ...

They might then decide to float that watch-hand in a few drops of (very thin) oil under Geoff's reject contact lens and then affix it to Buck's piece of cedar (see above).

Just Sayin' ... 

[EDIT: If someone ever does this, PLEASE quote this post and add photos]

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I needed to drill some holes in a position where I could not get the dremel. A drill bit extension was required.

Taking an old `Rabbit Ears' TV aeriel that I had lying around, I found that the shaft of my proxxon drill bits fitted

snugly into a section that I cut from the end. The fact that these telescopic  `Rabbit Ears' sections taper, means

that a section could be found and cut to fit most drill bit diameters.

post-1505-0-24301100-1420327209_thumb.jpg

I then inserted a broken proxxon drill bit into one end and silver soldered it in place.

post-1505-0-16670400-1420351997_thumb.jpg

The drill bit I wanted to use also fitted snuggly in the opposite end. I found that it was a tight enough fit to use

`as is' but if too loose, it could be soldered into place as well.

post-1505-0-74615000-1420327326_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Wow great topic. Good thing to get all these ideas together in one thread.

I hope to contribute in the future  :)

Fair winds and following seas,

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

"The rose compass was from Google Images, and I found that if I put the image into a Word document, I could shrink it way down with decent resolution by grabbing the corner of the image and making it tiny on the document itself before printing."

Hey Buck,

Thanks for the Google images tip. That worked perfect for mine. I'm pretty computer illiterate so I was able to print out the pics, then used the down-size option on my printer. Great tip!

Matt

Edited by mattsayers148