Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

Morning piet,

Thanks for the Lazy boy chair…… :D and I see some Warsteiner…... whoopee!

We gonna make pictures for you , no problem at all!

There  is no singel anymore. 

Only streets now.

And they build a lot of houses!

Visiting you is more expensive then visiting Mobbsie…...

But, In an few years we want to bring  the USA a visit.

I wrote somewhere else also but there is one thing I want to see for sure and that's Mesa Verde in Colorado.

For the rest it's gonna be visiting a lot of MSW members  :D

Maybe I need a break for a year at my company to do that.

Or we wait till we where retired…….but that takes 10 years…….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hey Kevin,  I understand the conditions on these old boats and not very comfortable in any kind of see.  Talking about rough weather, my father told us about them getting caught in a typhoon in the South China Sea.  The "old man" took the boat down to below the wave action and told everybody to lay down and rest.  They shut off most everything electric and just waited a while, a long while.

When they had to surface the seas had calmed down quite a bit and continued on with their mission, checking up on the Japs.

@ Boris, great, good to hear and hope they are useful to you.  Glad to be of service.

@ Sjors,  thanks for making the pics for me, I really appreciate it.  According to Google Earth that little plantsoenetje is still there though and that has also some memories.  I won't go into detail about one episode but it entailed playing nurse and patient.  The neighbor girl being the nurse who wanted to take my temperature.  Well, I was not very gentlemanlike and bobbed her one. :D  :D

Yeah, I know.  Travel across the pond is expensive, that's why we don't do it anymore.  But one never knows, the Admiral would still like to visit her sisters but I really have no need.

Hey, there is more to the USA then Mesa Verde  :rolleyes:  We have a gezillion spectacular places to visit and besides all these beautiful places we have a hole bunch of great MSW members who like to have you come and quaff a few Warsteiners and I'll even make a bunch real authentic Indonesian snacks too!!!! Yum, yum, yum.  You'll need a few years vacation and bum off of everybody for room and board  :D  :D  :D

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

one of the biggest problems with the older boats when dived was condensation, every used to get damp, the wing bilges used to top up, so going anywhere near the surface, invariably caused it to overspill into the working/living spaces. 

Any bags(grips packed) and stored in the after torpedo storage hatch space, would go mouldy in a short space of time

all the best

slop drain and sewage, was another story of its own

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Well, today was going to be the day for doing the Dacron cover with epoxy resin but - - - dummy me, I forgot to buy latex gloves.  That stuff irritates my hands now and I don't like to suffer for two weeks.

So, I did some work on the VOC ship.  I made seven pairs of gunport hinges, that's 7 out of 32.  

Will be going to the store tomorrow for the gloves and some wood for the O 19 deck structure.

But, I extracted a copy of the interior view of the O 19 from my files with some of the areas identified in English.  I thought yuns would like to see how this sub looks like inside.  

Hey Kevin, any resemblance with the boat you served on, besides the mine storage areas that is?  

The first drawing is a JPG file I received from my friend Gino den Ridder.  I would have preferred to attach the PDF file it is much to large for here but is clearer.  Gino is the assistant curator for the USS Cod that rescued the crew from the O 19 when it ran onto Ladd Reef July, 1945.  The USS Cod is in Cleveland, OH as a museum piece and is fortunately not butchered up with a cut in the pressure hull for stairs to go below.  I'm looking forward visiting the USS Cod and the promised grand tour.

post-1399-0-08399700-1369099619_thumb.jpg

This shows the entire boat.  The following 6 pictures are enlarged screen shots from the different areas, starting with the stern.

post-1399-0-30945900-1369099662_thumb.png

post-1399-0-26034600-1369099692_thumb.png

post-1399-0-49172900-1369099725_thumb.png

post-1399-0-01624400-1369099758_thumb.png

post-1399-0-20712800-1369099788_thumb.png

post-1399-0-39756700-1369099813_thumb.png

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Piet,

The internal was pretty much like the German Type 7C U-boat, with the exception the versio with the mine laying capability was the type 7D; which was longer then the other types to be able to house the mine laying storage tubes; just behind the coning tower.

Yes I have two U-boats, just started them, and will not do any more work on them, before the Scharnhorst is ready.

Keep it up mate, you are doing a brilliant job - we need some steel boats build logs.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Hello Paul,

Thanks for visiting and your info on the German mine laying subs.  Later on in the conflict they made a few "tankers" called "Milchkuh."  The O 19 and O 20 could use 4 of the ballast tanks as extra fuel tanks for long distance patrols.  The polish sub "Orzel" was also a mine laying sub build in the Netherlands at about the same time as my dad's boat. The Orzel had the tubes up front, I think.  My father visited her when she was being build and was duly impressed.  Her gun was placed in an water tight compartment in front of the con so the crew could enter it just before surfacing and make ready to pop one off.

Quite an interesting story about that sub at the very beginning of hostilities in 1940.  A shame she was lost in 1941.  No one knows why and how, no records of her loss. :(

Well, I have put the Dacron fabric on the hull today.  Had to work like mad to stay ahead of the short pot life of the epoxy resin.  I used 1 oz per side, which was comfortably enough.  Had to make sure that everything was prepped but it worked out okay.  It gave me also some time to devote on the VOC ship.  I managed to make a few more gun port hinges, am up to 22 out of the 32 total.  Making progress. :)

Tomorrow is sanding the epoxy and see if I need Bondo to fine tune the shape.  This process takes me back to my aircraft repair business in New Jersey.  Besides regular maintenance and engine overhaul and avionics, autopilot installations we also repaired wrecked aircraft, either for a customer via insurance bids or we bought a wreck on speculation and rebuild them for resale.  Lots of fiberglass parts to repair.

In any case, below are a few pics of the process.

post-1399-0-79305300-1369267813_thumb.jpg

I have pinned the edge of the Dacron fabric to the top of the hull and let it fall down the side.  Now I can see where I need to cut the fabric to compensate for the compound curves.  It's enough to cause wrinkles if I don't cut the fabric in specific locations.  On the starboard side I waited till I had the fabric epoxied to the hull.  This way I know where to precut the fabric on the port side.  It worked as advertised. :)

post-1399-0-08823800-1369268015_thumb.jpg

Here I folded the fabric back over the top to prepare for the application of the epoxy resin.  I first epoxied the top of the hull then folded the fabric over it and with a small brush I added more epoxy to the top of the fabric and smoothed it out.  Then I put the hull on its side and worked the rest of the fabric towards the keel.  I had to let this harden up before I could do the port side but that gave me the time to work on the VOC ship gunport hinges.  I managed to make another 8 pair and have now about 21 or 22 of the 32 needed.  Well, at least it's some progress :)  

post-1399-0-79906100-1369268242_thumb.jpg

This is the starboard side all epoxied up and curing.  It'll be at least 8 hours before I can actually use sandpaper, otherwise the sandpaper will just clog up.Tomorrow is sanding time and then we'll determine whether I'll have to use Bondo, most likely , yes, just to be on the safe side.  The overlap areas do leave a small ridge and there are a few small areas that can use some more filling.

Overall I'm pleased with the results.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Great job Piet, that hull looks very good - I don't think you will need much bondo at all aplausos.gif

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looking good, Piet.  I imagine that once that 'glass sets up, there will be no give, twisting or bending of that hull. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

nice work piet!   sweet! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Amazing work Piet,

Sorry no pictures yet of Vlaardingen.

It is raining and raining and raining again.

I want to make sunny pictures for you.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Beset Piet

As another Dutchman fascinated with old subs, I am glad I found your pages!

Over the last 4 years I have built (and sailed) a 1:50 model of the predecessor of your boat, the KXVIII.

This boat also had a great history though more prewar.

I will follow your build with interest!

Freek

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1736478&highlight=k+xviii

Piet,

Lovely job on the hull, it really comes out like a jewel the way it shines, and shows her smooth lines like that.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you very much fellows for visiting and your comments.

@ Remco, well, after using epoxy resin in my aircraft repair facility It's like old hat for me.  I added an second coat and am in the process of sanding it down.  I may need a third coat before I can ascertain whether I'll have use some bondo.

@ Mark T, yes, she'll stiffen up some, which is okay.

@ Popeye, she's coming along okay, slowly but surely.

@ Sjors, it's raining in Holland???  No, tell me it isn't so  ;)  Actually, I lost my gills some time ago  :D  :D  No prob with the pics, I'd rather see sunshine then rainy pics  :)

@ Freeks, thanks for visiting.  My model is static though but I enjoyed your video, nice job.  I understand from Gino den Ridder that the side launch torpedoes were a bear to calculate for a good shot.  It so happens that my father also served on the K XVIII after she arrived in the DEI.  He had a long career in the KM (Royal Navy) but I don't know on what other boats he served.  He mustered on in the early twenties.  Below are a few pics of the K XVIII, he appears on the one with the crew, he is standing behind the guy who is sitting on the ladder.

@ Robin, thank you for looking in and your kind words.  Yes, there is indeed a family connection, that's what makes this model special.

@ Carl, missed you my friend, glad you are back in circulation.  Actually,the shine is only temporary because after sanding the epoxy resin she'll be dull and then she'll be covered with paper to simulate the steel plating.  Then she'll be painted in the same colors as my father knew her.

post-1399-0-02535900-1369536767_thumb.jpg

This was during a fleet review near Surabaya, Java.

post-1399-0-68385800-1369536804.jpg

Unknown date.

post-1399-0-23512700-1369536816_thumb.jpg

A calendar picture with the entire crew. My father is standing behind the man sitting on the ladder.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all,

After the second coat of epoxy resin had cured enough I started the sanding process. It's looking much better but I still have a few low spots.  I am contemplating of putting on a third coat of epoxy resin but will do that in two stages.  First just in the low areas and let that cure and then follow up with a full coat.

Then sanding again and see where we'er at.

Another option is to use some Bondo.  I bought a can last Friday.  I remember from running my aircraft repair business that Bondo made a one-part filler for small dents or divots.  I'll go and visit the auto part store tomorrow to ask what they have.  If they have what I want then I can return the two-part Bondo, if not then I'll have to experiment mixing a small batch.

Here are a few close-ups of the hull as she sits right now.  You should be able to see the low spots, where it's still shiny.

post-1399-0-51628500-1369622783_thumb.jpg

This is a close-up of the aft section of the hull.  The shiny spots are the low spots.  Yes, the epoxy resin is translucent and you can see through it to the wood and wood filler in spots, even after sanding.

post-1399-0-21786900-1369622797_thumb.jpg

A close-up of the forward section.  

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

always lots of work to get the hull as prefect as possible but its looking good :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

@ Andrieke and John (Lad), thanks guys.  This morning I found out that the top center on the starboard side of the hull has few small dips between bulkheads that I didn't notice before. It's too much to ignore and have to but some Bondo on.  It's "only" a few thou (inches) but I'm afraid it'll show later on.  It's no big deal but here you think that after all the checking and double checking with a 3 foot straightedge that everything is okay, and here you have some irregularities.

@ Jan (Amateur), yes indeed!  Thanks for thinking of me, appreciate it.  I have pulled all of them off and saved in my O 19 file.  I also received many pics from Gino den Ridder, assistant curator of USS Cod in Cleveland, OH.  The photos he send me are a lot better quality and I'm using them for detail work.

Without spending a fortune I like to have drawings of the little dingy the subs carried below deck.  I have a few pics that show the dingy and I could draw up scale drawings that may result in an acceptable model but there is nothing like being accurate rather then close enough  :)

"Close enough" is only good in government work  ^_^

Cheers y'all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

nice work on the hull

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello all,

Well, I drew up a bunch of frames for the deck structure and cut them out and glued them to a 1/4 inch poplar board.  Then I proceeded to cut them all out and started to final fit them to the hull.

I also thank Freek for Fred Huygen's website and I was able to get in touch with him.  I asked him if he has any drawings for the little dingy and lo and behold he just happen to have the lines drawings and the measurements.  Now it's just a matter of translating all that in a wooden model.  That in itself will be a challenge because of the size, tiny.

Okay, here are two pics of the hull with most of the deck frames temporarily placed on top of the hull at their proper locations.  I need to make about a dozen more though.  So far it's looking okay.

post-1399-0-50078700-1370314959_thumb.jpg

The deck frame bulkheads are temporarily placed on top of the hull looking from the stern.

post-1399-0-80843300-1370314981_thumb.jpg

The deck frame bulkheads are temporarily placed on top of the hull looking from the bow.

That piece of wood between the steel angle and the hull is place the hull at right angles to the build board.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet, glad the dinghie drawing worked out! Fred has some amazing sub models!

On the deck bulkheads, have you considered shaping the ones in the middle to also be the bulkheads for the Sail? Also in front of the sail there was a pair of under deck torpedo tubes, well visible on some of the O19 pics.i If you want to have the torpedo doors open then you might consider not having bulkheads there!

Fantastic build, it already has the distinctive Dutch look!

Freek

Hoi Freek,

The plan for the "con" (conning tower) is to build that separate and place it on top of the deck structure.  The place for the deck tubes is already marked out on the hull and will be an open space between two bulkhead type frames.  The doors will be shown open with the tubes turned on an angle, not quite looking outside the boot.  That section will get some extra reinforcing for the deck itself.

Fred also send be a few pics of these tubes he made, good enough as a guide and with the photos i have from the build at Wilton Fyenoord I should be able to come up with a believable set.

Also the place for the dingy or jol as Fred calls it, will be a small open space behind the con with the required deck plates.  The idea is to have that open with the cover plates loose and on deck and the dingy in a sling.

The same plan for one of the torpedoes being loaded into the forward torpedo room and one mine being loaded.

It''l be busy boat all right.

I just send a message to Gino den Ridder that my model will have the teak deck slats because I want to show my model as my father knew her at the launch back in 1939 and when he sailed on her till 1941.

Right now I'm fine tuning all the deck bulkhead frames, have only done four, it's slow going because there are other things I need to do around the house and also do some work on the VOC ship.

Yes, I have seen Fred's models, very impressive and will visit his site more often.  I even flew over his house via Google Earth, nice little town he lives in.  A shame that he doing away with all the drawings he has.  I suggested to store them on a DVD if possible.  They are difficult to come buy

Thanks for checking in and thinking of me and your suggestions and reminders, really appreciated!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all,

I have added a few more deck bulkhead frames using the original drawings from the Dutch Archive as I did with the first batch.  They are close to being correct but are obviously in need of adjustments.

To make it easier to determine where to add and where to take away some wood I have pinned then all to the hull with one toothpick in the center.  Once I am satisfied I'll cut 4 X 4 mm slots in them at all corners and in the centers for added stiffness an support for the 1 mm plywood cover.

Here is a photo of de current condition.

post-1399-0-07672500-1370569481_thumb.jpg

As you can see there are two gaps between the frames.  The forward one is where the deck torpedoes will be placed.  The aft one is where the dingy is normally located.

Cheers,  

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks for checking in John, and yes, steady as she goes.  Hey, is that a nautical term?  ;)

Now that the frames are pinned and don't fall off when you touch them, I was able to clamp a few 2 X 5 mm slats to them to check the form and flow.  Overall it looks okay but, as I mentioned before, most are in need of some trimming, as expected.  It's not much but at this stage it's crucial to make the shape conform to the drawings.  

I didn't take any pics of how I rigged it for the check, perhaps another day.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra