HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - Swan class 1:48 scale - David Antscherl practium

Kevin, I received the various Lee Valley mini planes from my bride for Christmas. Absolutely love them and her of course! 😆. Wonderful additions to the tool arsenal. I continue to enjoy seeing your progress. Really appreciate your sharing.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are we allowed to use the four letter word W**k on the forum?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Do you mean "work"? "Work" is a 4-letter word on Sundays in my world

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I suppose i should have connected the two words so as not to upset anyone. So here goes, workshop. Pheew, now that i got out of that jam, last piece of the external planking has been complete. So today i will clean up and cut off the timberheads and clean up the top timbers.

7BC1BA79-AA69-407A-8D36-81C2207FDBBE.jpeg

Congratulations on reaching another mile stone (or, if you prefer, 'milestone'). Looks like your shop vac will be w*rking soon!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Swan class growing a yeard!

Jim 

She got too close to the porcupine.

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Kevin, well done.

Having just watched the video (#107, treenails by the thousands), I have two things to say.

1 - You are fearless with the sanders in the early part

2 - At about the 17 minute mark you look at the tree-nailed port side and say that you are happy: you should be tickled pink, it's gorgeous!

All the best,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

That was some fun. Bet you can't wait to do the other side!

Two tips I find useful:

1. When drawing bamboo, run it through the last hole 2-3 times. Only one pass causes compression and not necessarily cutting of all the bamboo fibers.

2. When final trimming of the plankshear use a sanding stick that is long enough to level both the port and starboard plankshears at the same time. This will help insure they are level athwartship.

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Stick around...

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

hey!

We have some sun today. 43°N 79°W

(all the snow washed away with yesterdays rain)

Update: it's snowing again 🥶

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

I love that view from the deck.  It must be hard to work out there with that scenery.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The only thing missing is an adult beverage to hydrate with during all that pulling effort you’ll be putting forth.

Jim 

Anvil and hammer for drawing treenails? That is a little alarming! Nice morning, though. As AON observed, weather up here is slowly improving.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv