HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - 1:48 scale - Swan-class - David Antscherl practium

thank you

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Have fun with those frieze paintings Kevin. Just remember, if you're not happy with them you can always paint them onto the paper patterns off the model and glue them in place. This is consistent with contemporary practice and I believe easier to execute.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

On 7/27/2023 at 6:01 PM, druxey said:

For painting frieze details you need to invest in top quality sable brushes. Try Winsor and Newton Series 9 or Rosemary & Co. Expensive? Yes, but properly cared for they will 'point' beautifully and last a lifetime.

I am also in favour of sable brushes. I use either W&N series 7 (very expensive) or rafael 8404 (about half the price pretty much just as good). Make sure if you invest in some brush soap. A tub like this will last you many years. If you are going to buy expensive brushes make sure you take care of them. There are lots of videos on youtube to help.

6 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

000 paint brush

I would actually recommend a size slightly larger than 000, what matters is the point and since you don’t have to worry about getting the brush into a tight space, a larger one will hold more paint and not dry out as quickly. That being said try a few sizes and see what works best for you.

Acrylic paint is somewhat transparent so when painting a very transparent colour (such as yellow) over a dark colour such as blue you need to build up the layers. Try painting with a brown colour first and then building up to brighter yellows.

Good luck

From time to time you show some new tools that you acquired when visiting NYC. As some of my family will be visiting there next month, could you suggest some useful stores to explore so that I can choose my presents. Thanks.

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

The reason i get so many nice tools from new york is that one of my daughter lives there and i send all my on line purchase tools to her apartment. Tools for woodworking. I’ve actually only found two great physical stores to visit. The first is  “tools for woodworking “ . Its located in a bit of a grubby area so don't take your wife as i did. 112 26th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11232. They also have a web site toolsforwoodworking.com so you can see what they have. The other is. jak Jewelry tools 37 west 46th street in Manhattan. You have to walk up a number of stairs and there is lots of security all around the place . I guess they must make jewelry around the area. Again they have a web site jakjewelrytools.com. My usual on line store is Lee Valley which has some wonderful miniature tools that i have shipped to her home. 

On 7/29/2023 at 8:01 PM, dvm27 said:

This is consistent with contemporary practice and I believe easier to execute.

While painting on paper has been my go to, that is really an interesting tidbit Greg.   Practically speaking I find it far easier to do, and I like it even better knowing it had been done on the beautiful models we see at Preble, RMG, et al.   To both you and Druxey, do you have any thoughts based on your experience as to which paper you like to use best?   I have gone to using silk span rather than stiffer paper but it is just a matter of my own preference with no scientific reasoning behind it.

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

The reason i get so many nice tools from new york is that one of my daughter lives there and i send all my on line purchase tools to her apartment. Tools for woodworking. I’ve actually only found two great physical stores to visit. The first is  “tools for woodworking “ . Its located in a bit of a grubby area so don't take your wife as i did. 112 26th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11232. They also have a web site toolsforwoodworking.com so you can see what they have. The other is. jak Jewelry tools 37 west 46th street in Manhattan. You have to walk up a number of stairs and there is lots of security all around the place . I guess they must make jewelry around the area. Again they have a web site jakjewelrytools.com. My usual on line store is Lee Valley which has some wonderful miniature tools that i have shipped to her home. 

Thank you again

Nice!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Ideally acid-free rag paper would be the best option for frieze work. On old museum models you can see the 'laid' paper lines through the paint. Now, this may sound heretical, but I use regular 20lb paper. It is stretched like watercolor paper prior to painting using acrylics. As the front of the paper is sealed by paint and the back adhered with PVA, it is sealed from the atmosphere and is not likely to deteriorate. However, I'l let you know in 200 years.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Kevin, I already watched it online. You have raised the bar.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

8 hours ago, bruce d said:

Kevin, I already watched it online. You have raised the bar.

I personally can't and avoid painting models. If I could approach the skill of Kevin, I might change my mind.  

Kevin, you did a fantastic job with the freeze. Congratulations.

I also like the fact that you used a deeper blue (possibly Outremer...) for your base color. I did the same with my Bellona and I really like the strong contrast it offers. It feels more powerful and more in line with a fully armed vessel, than the pale and washed blue we see on other models. Just my two cents....

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Well done Kevin! The frieze and red color really brings the model to life. Will you be leaving the moldings natural or faux gilding them?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I just finished putting on the scrolls with the acrylic ink.  Once that dries i will apply another layer this time with some of the tube acrylic to thicken up the paint. This will be followed by the addition of the burnt sienna, then the highlights,  And finally touching up with the Prussian blue and cleaning up all the lines.

IMG_2180.jpeg

IMG_2182.jpeg

Great work so far.  I agree with Greg.  That red really makes the frieze pop.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.