Triton cross section 1:48 by rafine

Beautiful work, Bob.  Now put the Essex down and step away from the box.   We want to see Triton finished.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I know you do, Bob.  Just having a bit of fun.  New projects are always tempting... ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I've done the hatches and bitts. The hatch coamings are made from boxwood strip with lapped ends cut in. The gratings were my first ( but not last) concession to lack of power tools. Although I'm sure that there's a way to cut them by hand, I opted to use Model Expo cherry grating strips.

The bitts are also made from boxwood.The bitt pins are laminated strips to create the sheave openings. I've never had much luck cutting slots in solid pieces. The sheaves are slices of walnut dowel. The round portion at the top of the pins was done by hand sanding square boxwood strip. The gallows was cut from boxwood sheet.

I also drilled the holes for the eyebolts and ringbolts in the bulwarks and installed the eyebolts at this point. Next up are the guns.

Bob

post-186-0-12249100-1376139515_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-93870300-1376139567_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-62873900-1376139620_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-67076500-1376139671_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-74783800-1376139710_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-37106300-1376139764_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-30558500-1376139819_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-27532900-1376139859_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-66289400-1376139905_thumb.jpg

Hello Bob.

Looking good. I like the method of gratings and bitts and the rest of the ship looks splendid.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Very very nice Bob.  Great idea on the bitts. Gotta remember that.

I also see some bits and pieces for the gun carriages in the background.   B) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Bob

Your X section is looking absolutely great. I like the work you did on the sheaves. Hoping mine turns out half as good as yours.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Given your superb track record with your other builds I am sure this one will just continue the "tradition" - with or without power tools. 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks Thomas.

The guns have now been made up. As I previously indicated when I did deck planking on both sides of the gun deck, my choice was to do all four guns. The guns are my next departure from true scratch building. Without a lathe, I simply did not want to try turning the cannon barrels, although I suspect that given enough time and effort they could have been done from wood. I bought acrylic gun barrels from The Lumberyard that fit the plan dimensions almost exactly. I also chose to buy a sheet of their laser cut pear carriage parts. After assembling the parts, I made and added various eye and ring bolts, the quoins and the cap squares and their hinges.

Next, the guns will be mounted and rigged.

Bob

post-186-0-56678700-1376566610_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-16387500-1376566664_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-45551800-1376566709_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-01572500-1376566743_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-01557600-1376566778_thumb.jpg

NIce guns.  I'm impressed with what they supplied and how you finished them. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark and Russ. The Lumberyard acrylic barrels are very nice. They also have cast metal barrels, which are not nearly as good (but considerably cheaper). The carriage parts really require little more than removal of the laser char, rounding of the axles and a little filing. I've used their guns before and like them.

Bob

The guns have now been mounted and rigged. The blocks are from Chuck (my last scratch build "cheat"). They are very nice. The rigging was straightforward and presented no problems.

Into the home stretch. It's on to the gangways and their supports and then the ladders.

Bob

post-186-0-85585100-1376735204_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-69495800-1376735260_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-52001900-1376735322_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-32607900-1376735368_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20133700-1376735422_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob.

You have produced a first class model and deserves a place on the trophy shelf :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

You have also produced and extraordinarily large smile over here.

WELL DONE!!!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Bob

Your model looks great. Congratulations on a job well done. :cheers:  

Are you considering building the full build of the Triton? I believe you would build a showcase one for sure. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me