Benjamin W Latham by mattsayers148 - Model Shipways 2109 - 1:48

Thanks CH, Mark, Ken and all who hit the like button.

CH, some of the treenails really blend in so its hard to see them, but they're there. If you click the picture and zoom in you can barely make them out. Also, what appears to be the top plank with no treenails is actually the plank sheer. Once I complete the deck I'll build in the stanchions which get two or three rows of planking to finish off.

I didn't like the look of the ply bulkheads as stanchions so I chopped them off. It'll also help me to make a nicer looking deck with no obstructions. As you know, I rairly know what I'm doing next, this time I looked ahead a bit so we'll see.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

CH, no apologies necessary, sometimes photos do not do things justice.

Buck, thank you. Your words of encouragement are always uplifting.

Sam, thanks. The treenails are .02inch / ,53mm. I oversized the holes just a hair for glue allowance.

Thanks to everyone for hitting the like button.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

After countless hours I finally finished the treenails on both decks. I look at my draw plate in a whole new light now. Having the stanchions out of the way worked well.

post-17116-0-22384600-1467761092_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-51333800-1467761112_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-86335100-1467761061_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-82304400-1467761142_thumb.jpeg

Now begins the process of installing the stanchions and planking them. I made templates at every bulkhead to ensure the proper curves were maintained. The fore deck had a 5/32 plank added first to bring it to the same level as the aft deck. Then a 1/16 square piece was attached the entire length of the ship. I'm now in the process of making and installing the stanchions. This will be followed with one more 1/32 plank below the main rail.

post-17116-0-17641400-1467761164_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-76088000-1467761187_thumb.jpeg

That's some nice tre-nailing, Matt. Your Ben W. is looking awesome.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Matt.... just  catching up..... all I can say is WOW!!!........ this is some awesome work you're doing.... the planking ,the treenails, are  just perfect!! Really like your choice of woods too!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Makes my head hurt to think about all those treenails.    But they look really super.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

First off, many apologies for my lengthy absence. It's been an extremely busy summer having spent the last few months working nights, double shifts and on the road. Right when I think life's back to normal, bam, another curve ball.

I've been able to steal a few minutes here and there so here's a few updates. The rails are done along with the trunk cabin.

post-17116-0-15528100-1477162483_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-53683300-1477162462_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-36586200-1477162453_thumb.jpg

Being 1:48 scale will allow for a lot of miniature items for me to practice on. This is the portable binnacle...

post-17116-0-03729100-1477162441_thumb.jpg

The pictures of the Edson Patent Boom Buffer were a bit small and difficult to decipher so I found this image with nice detail and sizes marked.

post-17116-0-45605200-1477162427_thumb.jpg

Many tiny rings were made and assembled to reach a boom buffer that's as close as I could get. I'm in the process of making a jibber box that allows the boom buffer to be seen.

post-17116-0-55675300-1477162400_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-33593300-1477162387_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-71880700-1477162411_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-56891100-1477162471_thumb.jpg

My plan is to work from stern to bow. The next project will be the wheel, wheel box and rudder(along with pintles and gudgeons). I'm sticking with the original sail power, omitting the exhaust pipe and propeller assembly.post-17116-0-44316500-1479673926_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt.s.s.

Great to see you back, Matt.  Nice work.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome back. Nice job blackening the buffer boom.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Very nice work on the boom buffer. the tree-nailing looks pretty nice too.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Jack, Mark, Ken, David, Michael, Richard and to those who hit the like button.

A P Stoddart

post-17116-0-05342900-1479674335_thumb.png

This era and area(Glocester) turned out a lot of new inventions and ideas, giving way to motor power and phasing out wind power. The Stoddart Co was one of these. There was the worm drive and the Stoddart improved vessel steerer.

post-17116-0-45271100-1479674871_thumb.pngpost-17116-0-02975700-1479674167.jpgpost-17116-0-32329300-1479674178.jpg

The thought crossed my mind to attempt to replicate this complex mechanism, which was soon dismissed, mostly because it all gets covered. So here's my attempt at a more realistic wheel than the kit provided part. There's over 20 pieces to this wheel which proved to test my soldering skills, I have much to learn. Maybe I should send it off to Buck to have him put the Stoddart logo on it.

post-17116-0-64441300-1479674349_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-92319000-1479674218_thumb.jpg

This was the second rudder with pintles and gudgeons I made, having made the first rudder 1/2 as thick as it should be. Also I decided to apply Cherry Minwax to the cherry and poplar, giving it a more subtle contrast.

post-17116-0-14430500-1479674141_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-05359700-1479674378_thumb.jpg

Onward!

Beautiful work, Matt ... right down to the scuppers in the last pic.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I agree with the Cap'n, those scuppers are a nice touch. I noticed their lack on my current kit, but didn't think I had it in me to add them. Kudos for a nice detail.

Super sweet detailing, Matt.   Logos on the wheel....? I'm taking up knitting and hopscotch.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just beautiful!!!!! work Matt... your soldering skills look pretty darn good!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thank you CaptainSteve, CH, Mark, Elia, Frank and for all the likes.

Elia...the rim and hub of the wheel is made from four pieces each. The rings that touch the spokes were drilled out for the spokes to fit into. On the rim a ring was put on the outside to lock spokes in place, on the hub one was put on the inside. Then one more thin ring and a wider ring to complete the i-beam shape. Then it was all soldered. Holes were drilled in the outmost ring and handles were soldered into them. The shaft was then put through the hub, capping it with three separate rings for the washer and bolt.

Pretty simple huh?

"Batten down the hatches!" Don't get to say that very often. Just thought I'd give a little update, midship hatches made and battened down.

post-17116-0-38487600-1480370358_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-56323200-1480370371_thumb.jpg

I've never liked the looks of the ring bolts I've made in the past, so here's my new and improved method. I cut the rings from brass tube and the bolt out of copper wire. This way the rings are solid, not cut like the manufactured ones. The twist is buried so it's unseen.

post-17116-0-85089200-1480370390_thumb.jpg

Another little tidbit, evening things out for railing. I made and installed all of my stanchions after the deck was completed for a more even sand job. I made this little jig with the same concept as marking the waterline, just from the deck instead. I drilled holes to my desired height, inserted a piece of .5mm pencil led, and made a nice even mark at the underside of the railing. Everything was cut long and then sanded down to the line.

post-17116-0-03636500-1480371449_thumb.jpg

I made the sanding jig with filler blocks on one end. This block section was monitored continually to stay on centerline of the deck. This way the rail stays true to the decks curvature, not the work table as in marking the waterline.

post-17116-0-48429900-1480371463_thumb.jpg

Just stunning detail on the hatch, Matt ... but then, we've come to expect nothing less from you.

:cheers: 

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just catching up. Thought I was subscribed but I am now. I'm going to have to pass on the logo on the wheel and take up hopscotch with Mark. Maybe take up a nice Scotch Ale instead!

The rudder and hinge is freaking amazing!! The hatch battens are very nice. When you cut the rings from the tubing, did you then file them round? They don't look like bands but actual round wire rings. You're the master! I'm slinking back to my hole now to take up oragami or something... :)

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thanks CaptainSteve, Buck and everyone for beating that like button like a redhead step child, or me.

Buck, if I've left any doubt over my sanity, this should remove it. So these cut rings are slid onto a metal rod slightly smaller than the ring. Then I hold it like this...

post-17116-0-31333400-1480399345_thumb.jpg

I then gently use my grinding wheel to thin the ring. It takes a very light touch to get the ring spinning. I grind it to desired thickness(.015 in) while keeping the rod around 1:00 and the disk around 2:00. Only my nail is touched by the ring to make as little friction as possible. Then I drop the rod and grinding wheel almost horizontal. Again, gently, oh sooo gently, make contact with the ring and flow in a half circle. Easy huh? Until you get cocky and burn a hole through your nail. Once again, I got to talk like a sailor!

post-17116-0-03451200-1480399356_thumb.jpg

Anyone want to guess what this is going to be?

post-17116-0-49142100-1480399368_thumb.jpg

If you're fitting a rod and ring to that beam, is it going to be some kind of pivot? Are you essentially making a bearing? I can't figure out what for, though, and could be way off. Hey, you said guess.