US Brig Syren by Rustyj - 1:64 - Rigging Redo

Thanks Ben,

That Syren Ship Model Company rope is great to work with. Now hopefully there wont be a third time!

Also thanks for all the likes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The standing rigging is getting closer to be completion.

I think I can remember what I've finished so far!

Both the Fore and main top mast backstays, top gallant shrouds, top gallant backstays and royal backstays.

You will also notice that I put a temporary fore royal stay to help steady the fore mast royal while rigging the back stays. Also lines have been tied off but not completed and coils placed until I'm sure I won't have to re-tension them.

IMG_2556.thumb.JPG.5abf37fa41b19576d264c937d1b2c030.JPG

IMG_2551.thumb.JPG.c8ff650b04af1132e04bf7b8d107f238.JPG

IMG_2557.thumb.JPG.94ae17d3e0a8017bc50f5bfc17f09197.JPG

IMG_2552.thumb.JPG.69254ad4cbd85d5b94370d07c45a4e0d.JPG

IMG_2555.thumb.JPG.a6f63f18e186de9d4cd8b0f3dad3eeae.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Jim and also for the likes.

Bob in a kind of masochistic way it's fun going back and redoing it. I look at the plans and

say to myself "I did it that way before? Sure doesn't seem familiar." LOL

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I've now added the fore topgallant stay, fore royal stay, jib stay, flying jib stay as

well as the inhauls for both jib stays.  I've also completed the bowsprite horse and netting.

IMG_2552.thumb.JPG.08a10e78168238635aaf23211d4c14a4.JPG

IMG_2555.thumb.JPG.ee3a2e2f459815f3128be7533a93d8b5.JPG

The standing rigging is now complete. I've removed the yards from the fore mast and I'm

going through them and correcting/fixing whatever may be needed.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty - I know this question has nothing to do with your current build. But as I was looking at these pictures, this came to me. Jim & I have been discussing what appears to be an error in the plans. If you build the tiller as the plans call for there is not enough room for the Wheel, Binnacle and Companionway. I would like your opinion on this? Your deck look excellent and the spacing from stern cannons to Companionway looks just right.

Edited by fnkershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd,

Here is a picture of the tiller on the Syren model in the US Naval Academy Museum.  I hope this helps.

IMG_0355.thumb.jpg.1649bcd65ff03d6cc3de2ead51107bbb.jpg

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi Floyd, No problem.

The plans I have are from the MSW group build and not the ones from Model Shipways so I don't know about those.

Here is a picture of the spacing from my set of plans.

IMG_2556.thumb.JPG.82a27450db23aff845b3de7ef963236b.JPG

As you can see there is plenty of room on these plans. The Model Shipways plans may not be to scale? Not sure.

Hope this helps.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

2 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Floyd,

Here is a picture of the tiller on the Syren model in the US Naval Academy Museum.  I hope this helps.

IMG_0355.thumb.jpg.1649bcd65ff03d6cc3de2ead51107bbb.jpg

Some of the differences between the two plans is the Model Shipways has the steering rigging on the deck, the Naval Museum Model has the rigging attached to the upper bulwarks and the wheel is closer to the tiller. It also seems to have a Capstan located where the Binnicle is on the MSW version.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Wow! Now I don't feel so bad. this is the model in the Museum? My treenailing is better than than! How do you maneuver and fight the ship with the steering rigging at chest height?  Also look at the huge size of those cleats. And Jim you are right where is the binnacle?

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

I think those are real wood Trenails.

The Argus makes more sense to me now. How could you possibly fight the ship and steer with the rigging like that.

No boat lift off the stern either.

Edited by Jim Rogers

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

I've completed the new boom and rigged both the boom and gaff.

You'll notice ends of rope hanging off the sides. I'm waiting to finish them

off until I know I don't have to adjust the tension.

IMG_2560.thumb.JPG.b4e945fe91a5c33f95c8319c6d31acda.JPG

IMG_2558.thumb.JPG.041e5b837eb2d6d76e12284e1df21d79.JPG

Next is the staysail rigging while I continue refreshing all of the yards.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Jim and thanks for all the likes too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I see another modeler using pill bottles for Chuck's parts! I have an idea, why don't we all ship our pill bottles to Chuck so he can fill them up. :D Just kidding.

Thanks B.E. She is one of my favorites!

I like that idea Floyd! Not sure we can get Chuck on board though. ;) I use them for rigging rope right now.

Wrap the rope around a dowel, drill a hole in the top, pull out the rope as I need it  and wah lah no tangles.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I've now completed all of the Staysail Halliards and downhauls, the Jib Sail Halliards 

and downhauls and the Fly Jib Sail Halliard and downhaul.

IMG_2570.thumb.JPG.476745c5c214cbd8ef6ac76b5d7078db.JPG

IMG_2568.thumb.JPG.cada9bff9579cbbd14e5c32c9e29959a.JPG

IMG_2571.thumb.JPG.ca71144f56c4b8a1dda7e22187288463.JPG

IMG_2572.thumb.JPG.ea45a897db13423da29df15cfcba4004.JPG

IMG_2566.thumb.JPG.f116f41d561084177f1a679cbaa49e10.JPG

I'm now working on redoing some of the yards starting with the lower course yards.

Thanks for stopping by!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly chugging along with the re-do.

I've decided to repair/refresh all of the yards first and then resume the rigging.

Here you'll see I've finished the Main and Fore lower course yards, the Royal Yards and the Spritsail yard.

IMG_2575.thumb.JPG.b542e316795ebad45963ec8289cf7160.JPG

Well it's onto the Topsail and Topgallant yards and the it's back to running more rope.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a year since I was distracted by Syrens Royal Barge and the Medway Longboat but I'm back at restoring  

the rigging to the Syren.That is until I squirrel an get sidetracked by something else.  ;) I took a couple of days and

reread the practicum and looked the plans over to refresh myself and figure out exactly where I had left off. 

I completed redoing the Topsail and Topgallant yards. That completes the redoing all of the yards.

DSC00215.thumb.JPG.f1794b71e1934d951510fad5f9299fb0.JPG

Now it's time to start putting the yards back on the model. I started with the main and fore lower course yards.

The trusses were made as well as rigging the slings and lower jeer ties and tackles. Then I ran the lifts and

running tackles doing my best to keep the yards level.

DSC00211.thumb.JPG.46290799db36792bca2c0814e183f6cf.JPG

DSC00212.thumb.JPG.530d83e1316dd9dfcb07863936ea8c91.JPG

DSC00213.thumb.JPG.acdfa2a306954a60a30b55214a65f3c9.JPG

Lots and lots to still do but happily we're underway again!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I think I may consider homicide if my Syren was violated like yours.... just kidding maybe...we tend to fall in love with these creations that we spend years getting to know plank by plank, yard by yard, plan by plan! I've already though about having to move, my ships go with ME, nobody touches them! I go crazy when the cleaning lady wants to dust around the ones that are out. She knows not to go near them....looking good, get her back to her glory.

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Hi Sea Hoss,

The saddest part is I have a case frame done. All I need is to get the plexi and it's finished!

You want to believe that the case will be finished before the rigging is done this time! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

OMG!
Rusty, I am so sorry to learn about your damaged Syren.
I don't know what I would do if something like that happened to my own, which, as you recall, you and I were both honored to work with Chuck on this project as well as the Confederacy.

But then, the plus side is, think about how much more skilled you are now.... and how much better she will be after your re-do.
All makes for a good story for the grandkids..... right?

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Dave!

The wonderful memories of the group build and the great design of the Syren is some of the reasons

that she is still one of my favorite builds. That's the reason I'm spending all the time and effort re-doing her.

As far as improved skills I'm not to sure, I'm still crossing lines, undoing them and rerunning them only to

find I pulled them through the wrong block and rerunning them again and belaying them to the wrong

point.........and on and on........!

At least this time Syren rope and blocks were used then replacements were needed!

A great improvement over what was available at the time!

Thanks for stopping by and also thanks for all the likes!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

The rigging continues. As I said above it seems like two steps forward one step back. ;)

I've now added the leech lines, buntlines and the falls for the bunt lines to the lower course yards.

Then I moved on to the topsail yards. I added the parrel, jeers, buntlines, lifts, sheets

and clue lines to both the fore and main yards.

Fore Yards

DSC00217.thumb.JPG.941c19c042984334ffa8054d404c3cae.JPG

DSC00219.thumb.JPG.83fc8e2ca5ac4e3739866b15e2c244db.JPG

Main Yards

DSC00216.thumb.JPG.6ba423dc88f39cff559e59d778588f4a.JPG

DSC00218.thumb.JPG.25051cdf79451f0475618a1273dbcd3f.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks B.E. very much appreciated. Slow going but I'm getting there.

Thanks for all the likes too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok it's been a tough couple of weeks in the workshop. 

While working on the rigging for the topsail and topgallant yards the sleeve of my shirt 

caught the fore royal stay snapping the topgallant mast at the sheave. :default_wallbash:

Soooooo the air was very blue for awhile and once it cleared and I could see straight

I disassembled the topgallant mast again, made a new one and re-rigged it ..... again. 

Once that was done I was able to continue working on the rigging with short sleeved shirts!

With the Main and Fore Topsail and Topgallant yards in place I've rigged the ties, 

buntlines, lifts, sheets, clue lines and braces. 

Next I'll move on to the Royal yards.

DSC00224.thumb.JPG.79d6a261f24c3e4adca7db42c69ddb64.JPG

DSC00225.thumb.JPG.829782c2c728a1664ec0b178e7d3b7f3.JPG

DSC00226.thumb.JPG.b8b8f4acf8aa3996e8f07766091eb1f5.JPG

Now for the second and more painful workshop tragedy.

My shopmate for the last 11 1/2 years has gone on to the great workshop in the sky as is the issue

with beloved pets who never seem to live long enough. She was my faithful companion every day for

all those years always making moving around the shop a challenge. You see she was a 135lb (61kg) 

mastiff and she took up a whole lot of space though she thought she was a lap dog.

Tallie last fall on her 11th birthday.

2129973451_IMG_0897(2).thumb.JPG.920a33b7688ea3e62a84c91ad348588e.JPG

And where you would more commonly find her. 

IMG_0349.thumb.JPG.b8c2dbcefbb3952d5876ec2e3c240b4c.JPG

She didn't mind me stepping around her at all! 

A gentle giant who will be greatly missed.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)