Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - FINISHED - 1:30 - Swedish clinker built work boat - SMALL

hello Hakan :)   just caught up with your log,  and really like how you've progressed with her.  she's an amazing looking vessel......very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you @popeye the sailor!

Glad you could join us 😉 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

• 5 months later...

So, here I am 5 months later...

Have I managed with any progress on the little build? In fact, yes. But only in the last weeks. 

Apart from the usual sailing around the Swedish archipelago, a spell with the dreaded c-illnes stirred up my fall. Treatment to commence soon. Whish me luck. The forecast looks good though. It was diagnosed at an early stage and all that, and I'm not too worried to be honest. It does have an impact nevertheless and I'm not looking forward to the cyto treatment. Yuck.

Anyway, when I left you for summer activities I had just started with the rudder. Gudgeons and pintles, hum, I don't know if that's what they are called on small craft as well. The gudgeon is doubled to prevent the rudder from unshipping. The reason must be that the mizzen tackle is fastened at the aft end of the rudder. And that is because the mizzen sail needs a boom that extends beyond the aft end.

Parts are painted and then the wood is oiled with paraffine oil. It gives a nice tan to the wood I think.

20211028_201534.jpg.b3f70fd960477a66109e9f6f7379018b.jpg

20211028_201448.jpg.aac16ed4f3cde07dbecec8c8c2750aa5.jpg

With the rudder in place I'm in for all the "bits and pieces", like oars (or sweeps if you prefer). The book mentions that a single pair was delivered with the boat. But it can obviously take four pairs, so I settled for an in between decision of two pairs.

IRL measurement is 12 feet long. In scale that is 122 mm. The handle diameter is about 45mm IRL (1.5mm scale). The blade width is 5 1/4 " (about 4,5mm).

First picture depicts three stages of construction.

Second pic, lazily stowed in the boat. The chafe protection is just painted 😉 

20211031_160713.jpg.da5319aed328d98b22fed9a8254b870d.jpg

20211101_195006.jpg.05ea33d3a30b75e4af39c4402a0f00ca.jpg

Next up will be mast and spars. 

well, the masts are already made but they need some tackles and stuff. 

And sails.

And sprit poles.

Enough to keep me occupied and out of the deep dark pool of thoughts.

Til next time - ta!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Model looks great.  I hope the treatments work for you and you make a full recovery.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark & John for likes and happy thoughts!

Work will continue 🙂

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thank you Håkan, for publishing pictures of your fantastic build. It looks so good and it is always nicely presented.

A suggestion from me is that you could do a post on how you did the "weathering" of different parts?

And Håkan, all my thoughts for you and your treatment. I hope you will be on the mend soon.

Best regards

Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

Hakan,

Sailing is much better excuse for lack of progress than my excuse of household maintenance. She is a cute little tub and so nicely made. Good luck with the treatment and get well soon.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thank you @KeithAug - yes I try to have valid reasons for not making progress and bobbing around skerries and islands seems to work 😉 

Hej @Niklas and thank you! About the oars, it has something to do with practise I guess 🙄. These were my first attempts at oarmaking and I'm quite happy with the outcome.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

• 3 weeks later...

Just seeing this thread, Håkan. An interesting subject beautifully rendered. My sincere wishes for a successful recovery and outcome for your health.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Vaddoc, druxey, thank you for the well wishes. In hindsight, ten years from now, this period will be just a memory, quickly gone by. 

At the moment though, it takes a great deal of effort to be creative. Not so much for physical reasons, more the mind games and ghosts.

For the moment I'm getting my head around the very few lines that is the rigging. It's like a dozen blocks all in all 😛 

Also took some time off to build the model shipway for future builds as per EdT:s drawings.

Measurements are 48"x19" or 122x48cm whichever system you prefer.

The T-headed bolts are plain good quality carriage bolts that got their heads filed down. Worked like a charm. Just need a matching number of friction knobs, the gantry, some klamps and whatnot and I'm ready to go... 

On the supporting rails I put some anti-skid which in combination with the constructions heavy weight makes it very stationary 😉 

20211121_204853.jpg.889d3f016d519849d80c7aa721197358.jpg

That's all for now. Bring out the gingerbreads and glüh wine - Advent is coming 😉

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

I too wish you well on your upcoming treatment and recovery.   The model is looking great.  Based on the new model shipway, you must be planning some much larger projects in the future. 

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

I like this last photo Hakan. A small model boat, on a massive shipway, in a workshop that looks adequate to build a full scale boat!

Finding true Swedish glögg in the US are tough.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

@Nirvana/Per, Not even in IKEA? Or maybe you're not anyway near an IKEA right? I feel your pain. 😞 

@gsdpic/Gary, Yes, I have bigger plans. Just wait and see 😉 

@vaddoc Thank you. Yeah the machinery are full size. In the trusty bench circular saw currently sits a 305mm dia saw blade. The green planner takes 400mm wide material. I'm a lucky guy 😄 However, the full size stuff I'm building is like furniture, boat fittings and stuff. No 1:1 boats. (I have one already 😉).

About the model shipway. Agreed, it appears a wee bit big and the reason is twofold.

One, the T-tracks came in 48" length and I didn't want to cut them.

Two, even if my future plans only include hulls of up to 800mm in length, you never know, do you? I do have the two volumes of Euryalus which is a 1:48 build, rendering a hull of close to a meter if I recall correctly. Initially I thought about to scale it down to 1:64 (easy enough conversion in 1:64 being 75% of 1:48). Time will tell...

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Hakan,

Meant as a boost: In 2015 I also had the dreaded c-verdict. Fortunately, it was also detected early. I have completely gotten rid of it, my check up intervals have recently been extended from one to three years.
As far as I can see in the picture you have a beautiful workshop, I am amazed how clean you all can keep your workshop. That never seems to work for me.
Your model looks beautiful.

Thanks for all the likes! They keep me going 🙂 

@G.L. a sincere Thank You! for your boost. I'm glad you won the battle! My radiation is done and next appointment is already next week.

But I don't know about clean workshop... my shop is fairly clean in the open areas. But the corners and behind stuff is another matter altogether. 

Over to the wee update. But I thought that a tiny update is still an update, right?

The dark art of soldering... after a couple of tries it came out rather decent. It is of brass wire and painted to simulate galvanization. 

Don't mind the rigging thread. My block of wax is elsewhere and I just wanted to see the hook and ring in position. The real deal in the background.

Second picture. Another miniature update. A ring in the stem head for the forestay. Laying beside is the stock material, bought at any sewing chandlery. I have no idea what they'r called in english though.

20211125_191110b.jpg.49d97ec3387ec8522d8d5ade3713883a.jpg

20211125_191253.jpg.e47d9e768c754f6da519d34be3eb5c86.jpg

That'll be all for now. 🙂

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

On 11/25/2021 at 6:55 PM, Wintergreen said:

I have no idea what they'r called in english though.

Hakan ---- They are called "hook and eye"  sometimes life can be simple.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

God Lördag morgon Håkan,

I hope all of your treatments are coming along well, as a Swede I know you should be in good hands.

Those are very nice updates...... medical and modeling wise.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...

So, plodding along slowly. 

Guys, thanks for likes and comments 🙂 

As I've mentioned before the heating system in my shop doesn't really cope with temperatures below -10 C. Right now, we're at -16 C. say no more.

Anyway, short sessions it is. 

Sheet for the head sails are led aft through some pendants that are fastened in the stringer on the side.

After some thinking I came up with the idea of using small beads and CA-glue the line around the. A fake splize and some white glue to finish them off.

Third picture is to keep me focused on moving forward. 

The sliding gantry, as Ed calls it is done and the knurly knobs as well. 

Yes, I could have just ordered a bunch from Amazon or wherever, but where would the fun be in that? Thought it was mahogany but it turned (😄) out to be teak.

20211205_170433.jpg.3384268ace69e9c623d9e7ae7eb28e23.jpg

20211205_173923.jpg.00ed375558ead7d9e2cce02e6b1b948a.jpg

20211206_184813.jpg.ec8f8edf09ed363547a20f97ab9d3322.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thanks for likes and comments!

Plodding along with rigging here. 

To keep me from going nuts this winter with chemo and all that, I bought a small addition to my workshop... a 5kW 3phase heater. Yum. No more problems with low outside temperatures.

The stropped block at the top is for the staysail hailyard. It is about 5mm long and need to practise shaping the blocks more round/oval instead of stretched/oval. Well, practise makes perfect in the end. The seizings are plain sewing thread. Cotton I think. A drop of CA glue on and they will not part.

White glue for the hops and eye.

The forestay in the second picture is not permanently fastened. It probably should be seized with a shackle to the ring but I think I'll just tie it off.

20211213_174006.jpg.4420fe83ea939eacff190a9615fe29f5.jpg

20211213_194942.jpg.7112a5e5a08c1faeead8e07772132c78.jpg

Till next time, ta!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Very nice Hakan.

Looks like there is plenty of room in your shop for a ropewalk, if you ever felt like making your own rope. Just saying!

Alternatively, I should have plenty of very small diameter rope if you think you could use it, could fit easily in a nice Christmas card! PM me if interested.

Space for a ropewalk you say? Yes, the thought has crossed my mind. Maybe up the road.

Off course I submit to that generous offer, how wouldn't want a Xmas gift?

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thank you John. 

Slowly, one day at a time.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Today is all about sails.

I have no progress shot and thus only describe in words how I fabricated them.

Sail cloth is some thin fabric that I have used for my previous Regina build as well.

First, templates were cut out from regular 80 gm paper. Like in the below picture.

20211225_182211.jpg.43febf8c8a39bc9b68933b71ed854886.jpg

These were taped to the cutting mat and then the fabric taped on top.

All lines where drawn with a regular pencil (H). 

Along the edge, diluted white glue was applied with a narrow brush. Let dry.

After they were cut out the finicky business set off - gluing the bolt rope. I used a glue for fabics which worked really well.

A first try with needle and thread was abandoned due to scale issues. Alas, even the first sail was scrapped due various issues (mizzen that was).

After bolt rope, reefing cringles were added. Theese took a couple of tries to get descent... The are sewn with a regular cotton sewing thread and then secured with white glue. 

Now, some pictures.

20211220_170002.jpg.edb70385900377d40e3a9ffec2f6be2d.jpg

20211221_173908.jpg.132b3532df0ac02bc94230e92750bc14.jpg

20211223_082245.jpg.db8369bb4259deffe4096399b66e153f.jpg

20211223_210655.jpg.424bd7c8c2753ce62e53c627d608a825.jpg

The complete set (bar the topsail which I have omitted)

20211225_144236.jpg.5f4563edecc39dec160b8e4f279c3600.jpg

And to round it off an image to get into the right mode for finishing this build off...

20211225_161708.jpg.83d7b91e7791ab0e8eff65155e631aab.jpg

Til next time, ta!

20211225_174214.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery: