Frigate Berlin by Ferit KUTLU - Corel - 1/40 - 1674

Coming together just beautifully !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Ferit:

I feel like I've been starved for pictures of your beautiful Berlin! And now I see you're on to the rigging! It's looking good close up but I'd love to catch a glimpse of the whole thing....but maybe you're saving that for later.....

hamilton

Hi Hamilton, I didn't forget my promise to take a shot of the whole ship but after all masts having been fixed, toward your former request... Thank you for your patience and sorry for my obsession... I will take it as soon as possible...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

@ Ian,

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your kindness... Me too Ian, I prefer photos either taken upward from the dock or downward from the crowsnest...

@ Sjors,

What I am doing is to try to catch you up Sir...  m0161.gif

@ Wacko and Augie,

It's really a pleasure for me to receive such heartening responses... 

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Ferit:

She looks magnificent - maybe you address this questions elsewhere in your log, but did you replace any of the wood stock provided in the kit for the planking or the superstructures? Can't wait to see the much-longed-for profile shot! There were some flirtatious gestures in the last post!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton,

Thank you for your usual kindness...

I have replaced so many wooden pieces that I could almost build another Berlin... Really...

I usualy work careless, ham-handed and too freehanded... I sometimes use a material twice than it's needed...

Especially many 2 x 2; 2 x 6; 2 x 4; 1 x 4; 3 x 3; 4 x 4; 5 x 5 cm walnut strips have been additional... Also 0,5 x 5 cm hornbeam strips for all deck planking. For exemple, the straight part of the false keel under the hull had been provided as 8 x 8 of walnut. The other parts of the keel have been mahogany. I have replaced the walnut part with four 2 x 8 mahogany strips white glued together to obtain a 8 x 8 cm mahogany piece. Also so many meters of various diameters of ropes have been bought additionally... Yes, I can easily say that another possible Berlin has sunk on my work table...

In the other hand I'm not adequate in English language, I don't know the nuances, how I could express myself exactly and in full, I have recourse to those gestures... Sorry so many gestures...  :(

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

I have been watching your building of the Berlin. A friend of mine saved a model of the Berlin that was about to be thrown into a garbage bin. It is in a bit of a mess but time and care I should be able to salvage it. I hope you don't mind if I follow your building of the berlin. The photos I had taken are to big so I will have to work out how to reduce them.  John Edwards

Hello John,

Thank you for dropping in, then for deciding to follow my Berlin. To be followed could give me only pleasure. To be reference even a liitle to a ship on her way to be salvaged is a big satisfaction for me. You are welcome.

There sould be unnumbered ways to do it but me, I reduce the size of the photos throught the Paint software of Microsoft. I posted a mail to your mailbox.

Thank you again for your interest...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Ferit,

I won't repeat all of the previous superlatives, as much as I would like to. I must have looked at some of your latest updated photos 2 or three times, in case I missed something (I'm sure that I did) . Your Berlin is so so special. Please, you are no longer a beginner, but you have instead become a teacher for many of us, so that we may try to emulate your level of exquisite detailing. Such a beauty. A real joy for the senses.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Beautiful work Ferit - magnificent in fact. I'm sure all here have buckets full of rejected kit strips and then badly formed replacement strips. I have a box fill that could easily build another ship. It is the nature of getting it right which you are doing!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Michael,

You are so generous my friend... So open handed... I'm fascinated by your thoughts...  m1813.gif

But please let me say seriously that this is not a standard sign of humbleness...

My real cogitation is...

All my knowledge could not be enough even for a fragment of my mistakes...

And all my capabilities could not compensate even a part of my incompetence...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Alistair,

So kind you are...

It sounds well to see someone like me. Yes, in fact we often see here only the outcome. The labor, time, effort, tries are behind, only to be estimated...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

wow Ferit beautiful pictures of a beautiful build :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Stunning work Ferit.  

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Wow - I go away for a long weekend and come back to so many wonderful pictures of progress, very very nice indeed.  One question if I may, and apologize if you've already answered this before, but what is the purpose of the large 'cathead' after the second cannon?  Never seen anything like that before.  Great clean work once again Ferit.

post-2145-0-06369900-1381732519_thumb.jp

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

It's a pleasure to receive your kind thoughts Jason, as always, many thanks...

Your welcome, we are here to communicate, to share all knowledge we have (in this case if I have)...

Sorry, I am not adequate in ship vocabulary...

If I understand you correctly, I suppose that what you meant with 'cathead' after the second cannon is the circle No 1...

post-2145-0-32881000-1381863372_thumb.jpg

Firstly, the rope in the photo passing just under the numeral "1" doen't belong to this structure. It's just about securing the rope temporarily.

Secondly, in the plans a thick rope coming from the mast/sail passes via the hole drilled through the mouth of the golden figurine and fastens to this structure.

Thirtly, I don't really know anything about the purpose of being large.

I answered if No 1 is the case... No 2 is already out of my knowledge...

Could someone help us?...

Thank you from now...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

My fault Ferit, I should have been clearer.   This is what I was referring to...

post-891-0-22762900-1381866517_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I don't really know Jason, the porpose of its largeness.

It is used also for Wappen Von Hamburg of the same brand, Corel.

Corel shares this figurine for these two kit, Berlin and WVH. Maybe it's inaccurate for Berlin, if so, I think it happens for this reason of sharing.

In fact the figurine was thin. I had to grave the wales to squeeze the figurine between them. So, I decided to elevate the figurine...

post-2145-0-12753800-1381870179_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Jason,

I have taken some shots from the plan. As you see, the edges of figure sit on or into the both wales. I have prefered the first choice.

post-2145-0-07832300-1382120779_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-34426400-1382120800_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Its very impressive, looks like is some sort of decoration for the sheave.  Never seen anything like that before.  As for placement your choice was a good one!  Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Some shots of the whole ship...

The mast at the edge of the bowsprit ( I don't know its proper name (spritsail topmast ?)) is still missing...

post-2145-0-99834500-1382148605_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-28882100-1382148627_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-85880900-1382148646_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-46968000-1382148671_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-12480700-1382148686_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-04235700-1382148709_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-65692600-1382148724_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Ferit,

NICE!  my iPhone sent me a beep during my Dodger's game (:-(  they will (probably)  loose the season. BUT your ship is beautiful. Such nice details. Life goes on (:-) In the morning I will feel better.

PS: I understand, that for you, baseball is in an other universe.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Ferit,

You continue to do very impressive work on Berlin.  Just wonderful to see and then look again to see the details.  By the way, your command of the English language is better than many of us native speakers, myself included.   I'm going to try to read the forum more often. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@ Michael,

Sorry for the result of your team. I am away from baseball but like American football. I was following NFL, especially enjoying watching Denver Broncos but unfortunately ESPN stopped broadcasting to my region... I hope you don't remember the defeat of your team every time you look at my Log.

And thank you for the nice comment...

@ Mark,

Hi Mark, you are so generous, thank you. I could success to understand only formal English language.

It's pleasure to receive such nice thoughts from the dark side... I already celebrate your retirement...

@ Ricards,

Hi Richards,

Thank you for your kind comment...

I wish I will succes to complete Berlin as you did with your very nice HM Schooner Pickle...

@ Sjors,

It's your usual kindness Sjors... She is only 1/4 of your Mirage...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU