Frigate Berlin by Ferit KUTLU - Corel - 1/40 - 1674

Ferit,

I am sure that Berlin will not be the last - at least I hope not.

It is great fun playing the "Coral guess the scale" game. I have had hours of fun with that. :)  :)  :)  :)  :) 

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Lovely work indeed!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Ferit, this is looking exctremely nice. I see you live in Istanbul, I have enjoyed your great city and love the history behind it. The mosques are incredible architecture and the bazar is a great experience. I hope to return some day.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Ferit,

I hope Berlin won't be the last...  Beautiful work on the rigging to complement the work of the hull.  In those pictures, the lighting gives just the right mood. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ferit,

As a Rear Admiral I ORDER you to build an other vessel after the Berlin !!!!!!!!!

Beside that I can give orders, I need someone who let me know where are ratlines missing…... :D  :D

So, After Berlin, you go to the hobby store, Internet, MSW forum to see what is gonna be your next build !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

@ Ian,

Thank you Ian for your kind encouragement...

It's unbelievable that the info about the scale of a model ship has misgave me... The scale is everything on a model... And this info remains still as it had been... 

@ Randy,

@ Augie,

@ Mark,

Thank you very much, for your confidence in me and kindness...  m0738.gif

@ John (texxn5),

Many thanks for your nice thoughts about my Berlin ship and my Istanbul city... In fact Istanbul isn't a city but a country a fortiori... Official data of population is 13 millions but unofficially it's 20... More than the population of many countries...

It's frightening a little but she is a sophisticated lady, versatile, multitasking, having many characters in one body... She is like a vivid living being in beauty with her necklace of richness of history... I am in love with her...  m0620.gif

And you, you will always welcome here...

@ Keith,

Many thanks Keith for your kindness... I don't deserve your nice thoughts but they sound very well...  m0738.gif

I follow your Log. The alterations, modifications... Your imagination... Your courage for the new... Flight from the classic... Spirit through freedom... Belief in yourself... Your determination and nicely accomplished attempts... The results... Skill of course...

This is you who are themadchemist... 

@ Sjors,

Yes Sir, roger that!...

I will build an other vessel after the Berlin!... 

But how can I tell about gaps in front of a fascinating wiev of a rank such yours, Sir?!...  m0922.gif

And you see, I copy your way to answer the posts... 

@ all of you,

As I told in Augie's Log, after seeing here a lot of fantastic builds under construction and have been constructed; I have a dilemma to protect my enthousiasme to continue to try to get closer to these masterpieces OR to lose my enthousiasme to go on after being aware of feeling uncapable to get closer to them...

Then I realize again and again that this isn't a competition... Ashamed of myself... 

The first alternative dominates the second by a little...m0943.gif

And WVH remains still for a first alternative... I am still her admirer... 

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Ferit,

I think in modelling there is an element competition - it makes us all strive to produce better results. The most important thing in this forum is that it is a friendly constructive competition. :) Problem is you beat me every time.  :angry:  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Ferit,

Your answering way look much better !

And don't let you be intimidated by my rang…... :blush:

I'm just the person as I always was…nothing more or less.

I'm happy to read that you don't stop after the Berlin.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hİ İan,

My competition may have to be against myself beholding the other builds... I can only admire others, I just emulate them... I have not a feeling about being jealous...

But there is a invisible boundary. if I fall into the mistake of passing away this boundary I will be lost somewhere, there lies a shoreless land, there is no limit... This will make me unhappy... The level of the obsession is the key... It must be a little for me... Having to know my limits between my capacity, time, necessity, merit and priority... This must be a joy... Whatever I said is just for my intrinsic behavior...

On the other hand, even your unbelievable work on the stove only is equal to two Berlins of mine!...  m0719.gif

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Ferit

I have looked at your build often but never commented (there are so many logs here - some I look at often and never say a word - yours is one of those) - it is fantastic, I love your work and your subject.

I sense that you feel intimidated by other builds here. We all are. This place for me is about being inspired and inspiring. There are no poor builds on this site - they are to each one's eyes the best they can do with all the support that the site musters. Give and receive advice and make. Above all, enjoy this hobby - what anyone else is doing doesn't matter a bit - enjoy it for yourself and only for that.

Ferit - your work is great and it inspires me - keep it up and, please, keep building this ship and others to come!

Cheers

Alistair

Edited by aliluke

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thank you Alistair,

It's a pleasure for me to learn that you look often at my Log, even though you didn't drop any comment...  m1227.gif

And to be aware of this now and to receive your good advice, interest and encouragement...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Ferit

I think I have started quite a discussion here :blush:.You have created a very beautiful model and have demonstrated a great amount of skill.It would be a great shame that your skill is not utilised further.I understand your frustration regarding the scale of WVH.At 1/40 though it would be a huge model.

The model building aside,I think you have a lot of friends on MSW and we will miss you :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Ahoy Ferit :D

I am slightly confused by this current rhetoric. It is apparent to me that regardless of your skill level this hobby brings you joy. I would wish only the best for you in whatever path you choose and can only thank you for taking the time to post this log. Following along has brought enjoyment to my life and it seems; many others.

Judging by the pictures in your last post, you still have a ways to go. I will patiently await your next update.

She looks great BTW

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi Nigel,

So gentle you are... Thank you for your thoughts, they are so kind...

I have not any judgement for leaving MSW... There are fantastic friends and members in a fantastic world... Now I realize after your post that I had expressed myself too dramatically and those were just momentary thoughts I had shared...

And thank you again... t1807.gif

I am happy of building a model ship, of being here and nailed to MSW...  m1283.gif

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Ahoy JPett, 

I had missed your presence at MSW...

I hope everything is okey for you...

For my part, I'm okey... I always hate to leave, to give up in the middle of the way... What I wanted to say was that I have to stop myself getting into a competition with masters... I was just thinking aloud... Time to time in my life, when I allow myself to get carried away, I feel that I must be reasonable, to stay in my limits, to stand aside from perfectionism, do not desire the impossible... It's not only for ship building but also in all domains... That's all... I am ashamed for expressing myself not quite right... 

But I'm happy with this rhetoric because it served to make you finally be visible... 

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hey Ferit

I've been looking at the Corel WVH and every place I look its listed as a 1:40 scale, just as is the Berlin. I looked at Corel and the PDF states 1:40 scale. Could the person that told you it was 1:50 actually be wrong, were they a Corel representative.

She is a larger ship at 1:1, or so I'm thinking with more gun decks but even if she is a smaller scale the kit states 1100mm vs the Berlins 830mm length. Thats considerablely larger, so even if the scale is off a bit, the WVH would appear the larger.

I understand what your getting at with the invisible boundary which leads into the shoreless land, the key is control of obsession and understanding that only by our just competing with ourself, does one ever win. Its hard to look on some of the beautiful creations on MSW and not become overwhelmed by the level others can achieve. I don't think you must stand aside from perfectionism or stopping the desire for the impossible though, I think that is what helps us stretch ourselves and allows us to become better. The key is as you stated, knowing when to stand aside and how to mark your limits. Those are essential to learning from the masters rather than competing with them.

http://www.corel-srl.it/VASCELLISTORICI.html

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/wappen.pdf

Hi Keith,

You are completely right about how the intrinsic behaviour has to be...

About WHV, ChrisLBren was the first person who had given notice to me... He had been building Corel's WVH. I don't know if he is going along now... And after I had learned the scale is 1:50 I had referred to Corel. They had answered me via e-mail as I had written in ChrisLBren's Log:

Hi Chris,

I have asked the scale problem to Corel ( info@corel-srl.it ).

Here is the answer:

"The right scale is 1/50.

Sorry, there is a mistake on the leaflet!!"

Very interesting situation... A product of a model manufacturer (modelling is based absolutely on the scale) is still being sold with a basic error...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Ferit,

Good to hear you are not giving up.   Whew... I have the same competition urges at times, but have to remember that the only one I'm competing with is me.  And that competition is to make each part as good as I can.  I've found if I remember that, I get better. 

The Corel problem isn't uncommon.  I think all the manufacturers misrepresent things on their kits.  Sometimes it's major like making up a history and having a fictitious ship, other times it's minor like having the wrong size parts. The scale issue is a tough call.  It's possible that they really don't what scale it is because they made the parts and wood sizes such to fit into a box of a standard size. If you can, get a copy of the plan and check the measurements.  It could be close to the 1:50 but not exact.  My Constellation was that way.  What they called it for scale was off by a fair amount.  I compensated and was happy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Ferit:

I'm assuming that the idea of you not building another ship model is just exaggeration.....no one with your talent for this should give it in! Anyway, prior to the Greyhound/Blandford, my experience with Corel was quite good. But it seems that like all kit manufacturers there are, as Mark says, both major and minor inconsistencies. You would think that on a high end kit like the WVH the inconsistencies would be of the minor variety - the Corel Bellona, sitting on my shelf now, looks to be a really nice kit....and the WVH is a step up from there....I would love to see how that giant would look after passing through your hands! Pretty amazing, I'm guessing

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy