Frigate Berlin by Ferit KUTLU - Corel - 1/40 - 1674

Very nice Ferit.  Everything looks nice and square and symmetrical.  Good to see overall shots now and again.  We tend to get focused on the details and forget the big picture. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

@ Slog,

Hi Slog, thank you very much indeed, for your regard...

@ Keith,

Thank you Keith, it's a really pleasure to see you commenting again... Meanwhile I miss your updates on the PF  's vita ship... :)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

I hope to get going again soon. as the weather cools I'm able to get back outside and do small bits of work, so that has kept me busy lately and away from building. The garage really needs cleaning though so I can have a place for the new belt/disc sander. I've also been spending lots of time researching rigging and gathering pieces for the upcoming build, I think the pinnace is next.

Seeing the Berlin with her masts up, makes me really want to get into that stage but I'm still finishing builting my serving machine. I found the correct washers yesterday so now I can have a 5/16" styrene inner tube using a 3/8" tube as the bearing surface. I'm using Andy's model as a muse for the construction of mine. Maybe I should take some pictures of it...of course to keep it PF, I think It will be named "On the Turning Away" server machine. :dancetl6:

Thanks for posting these progress shots Ferit! I saw them first over on the "latest full profile thread" and thought I'd check here to see if there were more - obviously these were well worth the wait - a very fine looking vessel.

It's a nice confirmation to see the relative size of the mizzen mast to the fore and main. I was getting nervous that once I attach the topgallants to the fore and main on the Blandford they would look ridiculously out of proportion, but it seems there is a similar ratio of mast sizes on the Berlin, and they look great! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

@ Keith,

Hi Keith,

It's nice to hear that you are in the project. I really loved the name of the serving machine. It fits the bill.

@ Hamilton,

Hi Hamilton,

Thank you for the nice comment.

Sorry, it's my fault, I couldn't have thought that you have requested it for comparison...

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Ferit:

Of course! But I didn't ask for comparison - I hadn't even thought of that until I saw your photos....the eras of our ships are very different - I just noticed this one similarity after seeing your photos - once again, excellent work

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 month later...

what a beautiful ship to enjoy a morning coffee over..........you have done so much fantastic work!   everyone has their taste in how much of a kit,  they don't like........your bashing of these  'undesirable'  parts is to be commended......the ways in which you accomplished these tasks,  will serve as a learning curve for many.  I do apologize for not looking in earlier........my  "builds that I've commented in" is quite large,  ....and in the scratch forum as well.   I see so many builds....I marvel at the talented modelers we have here......I am so happy that this very comment,  will add you to that list  :)   .......can't wait to see an update.   splendid work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye,

Thank you very much for your kind visit, charming comments and gracious thoughts... ( and for many Likes )

You are quite right about the talented and scholarly modelers... Astonishing, incredible, fascinating... are most of them!...

I am just one ratline away from the build. The problem is the new first footstep, then I can begin to walk. :)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

sorry to hear your having an ongoing problem.........I wish you well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

No, no, Popeye I am well, in good mood...
Like after some repose, to be activated needs the first motion, my first ratline will be the motor starter... :)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

my bad........then you are like I was......in a bit of a slump.   I can understand.     got spinach?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Ferit,

I am missing your updates, OK now start that One line and get going. I need my Ferit Berlin "fix". (:-)  (:-)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

the x-actor guts the wood.........the sanding shapes the wood to what the eye sees...........and the careful fingers cement the freshly created part into place........but I know you are much further than that ;)      rigging begins with the fore stays.......I look forward in seeing your progress.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

@ Michael,

Hi Michael,

I know that was a long pause, she is chapfallen on the desk. The last %20 of the build needs the %80 of the purpose (The Pareto Principle / the 80-20 Rules) :)

@ Popeye,

Hi Popeye,

Your nice poetic expression depicted the build in front of my eyes... :)

And yes, I realized that for me the wood is more attractive and enticing than the rope... But as ropes are the hair and as I prefer my lady with hair on her shoulders; I have to...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

yepper!  nothing worse than a bald headed lady  :D :D :D    I should talk.......I seem to be dragging my feet on the Goth,  but it's a new week end for me.......I gotta get mu butt in gear.    that's one reason why I like working on other builds.......they require wood work,  and I can take a break when I need it  :)   I will wait :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ferit,

I am missing your updates, OK now start that One line and get going. I need my Ferit Berlin "fix". (:-)  (:-)

Michael

Hi Ferit

I echo what  Michael has said.We are sadly missing updates from our friend  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Just one line,one knot and the journey to the finish line begins :)  :)  :)  :)

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

There nothing wrong with a good stalling. I've been stalling on the DSotM rigging for a bit now. I'm using the excuse that I need more time to make decisions. B)

I seem to do this at every step, but I feel it pays dividends as I do a better job when I don't rush things. Sometimes one needs time to let ideas sit and develop before jumping into a new part of a build. I assume that maybe this is worse on a first build, or a part of a build that one has never attempted before. Say rigging a gaff fore and aft rig versus a square rig.

To prevent too much guilt for loafing, I started my longboat project, which is turning out to be a lot of FUN :dancetl6:.

Of course Popeye goes into Henry Ford mode and starts an assembly line. Everyone reacts differently to those mid-build blues.

I suggest some good tunes and a few hours on MSW, cruising through some of the great build logs. Although that sometime can make things more clear, but sometime worse. Michael Motts Bristol cutter gave me some great ideas on rigging that I want to use for my pilot boats rigging but now I must think about scaling them down. The 2 edged sword of reality. Don't forget that thinking things through is part of building also.

No matter how long you need. Your fans will be here waiting to see what you've done. Genius can not be rushed and the Berlin deserves only the best.

Edited by themadchemist

Hi Keith...

Thank you themadchemist, thekindphilosopher... For all these thoughts and expressions...

It's impossible to not be like-minded... And "those mid-build blues" has been my favorite...

You don't build the DSotM from a kit only but you invent also scratch parts through your imagination... Your build is unique. So thinking is an important part of it...

Thank you again for your concern, for cheering me up... B)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Jason,

I have taken some shots from the plan. As you see, the edges of figure sit on or into the both wales. I have prefered the first choice.

Hi Ferit,

I'm a little late responding to this, but I came across a very similar figure (both in form and location) in the Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde kit that I just picked up (which is a very similar 17th century German frigate).  Pretty creepy looking isn't it? :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)