Frigate Berlin by Ferit KUTLU - Corel - 1/40 - 1674

@ Nigel,

You have caught a good point my friend...

I had referred also Model Mariner, a member who had been building Berlin in scratch, following the plans of course... He had told me that my Berlin's scale seems 1:40... He had checked like ChrisLBren, the original dimensions against the model's. Then the scale approximately is 1:40... 

@ Keith,

Hi Keith,
I had shocked by their answer... 
You are right, with a scale of 1:40, WVH would be huge...

@ Mark,

Hi Mark,

That was one of those days that I was angry with myself, that I was telling to mysellf to stay away from perfectionism... I had thought aloud, sorry to make all of you pay attention... That has happened above its purpose... 

About the scale problem, after all those comments I decided that in fact, the essential has to be the consistency of the scale between all parts of a model. The scale in one way or another, 1:40 or 1:50, has to not matter. The importance is that for example while the scale of a cannon is 1:40, the figurhead also must have the same scale... In addition to what you said, maybe they want to use some common parts in some kits of different ships... It's another reason of not being a perfectionist... It makes me happy if I know the errors previously rather than I meet them afterwards... 

Thank you again for your interest...

@ Hamilton,

Hi Hamilton,

Thank you for your thought my friend...

That had happened above its purpose... I had thought aloud... Sorry... 

There are a lot of things to do on my Berlin... I had not bought WVH, as I had been and am a beginner, the price had been determinative... 

You are right, Corel's parts are good in quality... WVH is their flag ship... And she is a beautiful lady and like my childhood love... 

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Ferit,

Now back to your excellent model making!

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hej Ferit,

According to wikipedia the WvH was 40 meters in length

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wapen_von_Hamburg_(1669)

When taking this in mind and look at Corels length of the model (1,1 meter or 43” ) I think the scale is not that dramatically far off ..

It is app: 1:36 ..

Best wishes, Theo

Current Project:

Santisima Trinidad -> Build log

Finished Projects:

Smit Rotterdam -> Gallery

Hej Theo,
Thank you for your interest...

After reading your info I checked also these dimensions and ratios... You are quite right, the scale of WVH is app. 1:36... and it's not that dramatically far off... And I could believe now with a good few kits, the scale one way or another is not completely exact...

Now that's done... I am happy with the result about ratio...

I wouldn't calculate the scales no more...m0943.gif

I must just do it, build her!...  m0161.gif

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hej Theo,

Even if WVH is my chilhood love, I couldn't betray my pretty Berlin... I should do everything I can do with her... There would be nothing for each other to think after us...  m0192.gif She has to be finished first... Otherwise she would be left somewhere at the first corner...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Ferit,

This is a very good work what you have done here.

I would like to tell you that never get disappointed about what the kit companies do offer.
But some prejudice is a good way here. 

Hi İlhan,

Thank you for the kind thoughts which come from a quite complete craftsman, really from a master...

You are at ease at the other, parallel fantastic universe of scratch, far away from the anxieties of scales, mistakes etc. of the kits... but in the depth of unnumbered complexities and difficulties of the scratch building...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

And a piece of addition...

The mouse has been made in this way, instead of piece of wool, I have used piece of wood...

I haven't confused the words; wool and wood, it's just a preference...

post-2145-0-06971400-1380285441_thumb.png

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Ferit,

I'm looking forward to seeing your mouse as I have everything you've done on Berlin.   So WVH will definitely be next?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@ Mark,

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your interest in my build and accustomed nice comments... Very appreciated...

If it happens, I think my next spousals will be 99% with lady WVH...  m0192.gif

@ Johann,

Thank you Johann,

It's a pleasure for me to receive such words from a generous Magister Artium...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

I see what I think you mean by "indifferent"... <cough>  Great work!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@ Nigel, Mathewp, Randy, Mark and Sjors,

Thank you for your nice encouragements...

The process of doing this mouse was not easy for me but I am not quite satisfied because I think that the mouse should be like the mouse of Andy (realworkinsailor)'s build...

Sorry Andy for the usage of a picture from your log...

post-2145-0-01955700-1380537067_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

A shortcut for rigging that I keep using to rig blocks with the ropes 0,5 mm of diameter and below... It's easy to make it and at this scale and thinness it simulates the knots very good in my opinion...

http://www.lake-link.com/knots/knot.cfm/100/Uni-Knot/

post-2145-0-56057800-1380648150_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Beautiful shot Ferit - I love the tone of the wood and with the rigging on it's really coming to life!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Great tip on the uni-knot, definitely want to try that.  Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Ferit.

Nice mouse, as we all knew it would be.

Love that knot link -- Thanks,

R/   Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th