Keeling and Clayton Mustang Funny Car by jct - FINISHED - 1/24 - used to be Lew Arrington's Brutus Funny car

jct

After following Popeye;s Funny car build for a bit I decided to drag out something that has been on the back burner for many years...Lew Arrington's Brutus Mustang...this is converted from the old MPC Blue Max kit, which was based on the old Revell funny car molds, a lot of work was done to reconfigure the hood ...removing the hood scoops and filling and smoothing the hood, all the chrome plating has been stripped, and the blower hat hole was also reshaped for the next step...
uoJZukrRkcULsRKkTUmi.png

...as most folks who've built the old Revell Funny cars kits know, they sit way too high, both body on the chassis and ground clearance wise, pics of the lowering process to correct the stance follow
the rear end mounts were relocated to lower the rear end
fTNgaGIkoicbbRNzxxWN.png
Then the tins were filed to allow the body to sit lower

egKBqFAPZDesTnZjrcpM.png
And lastly the hinge point at the back was cut away, 1/16 inch of material removed, and then glued back together and reinforced
tHePwBVLEiEdYnyjjlhh.png

With the stance change the stock seat will not fit into the roll cage as the rear end sits higher...I sectioned the seat at the top just below the tin section, about 1/8 inch removed, the tins were then glued back on

WEfCZq9.jpg

image.png.09ff0a4208ac56ba1ad974cae126a9a0.png

image.png.5ad72e56d07eb359333ac429a6da64ed.png

started populating the chassis

kBdjifmacSMnBIOrtpyG.png

Did a little plumbing, added the fuel tank and main and return lines, not sure how correct it is., but it fills the space.  The engine has been detailed with scratch built fuel lines, butterfly control valve and injector hat lines, along with plug wires, not gonna do much more in the way of detail here as I plan to display this with the body down...no sense correcting the stance if she's gonna be flopped:P

image.png.49fe7f1768e032ad995b27817d94f587.png

image.png.161764fe0fd447924fa9989a098d06ab.png

Then did some work on the rolling stock, I had ordered Bear claw rear wheels as that is what Lew ran in 73, but one got misplaced so it's kit wheels in the back

image.png.5c374e476b4c9facd0f5c817c124577c.png

image.png.b7da407ae8b8b456a2ebccd1f4787c6e.png

glad to see you're posting the revival :)   you raised a very interesting point.........I never really thought about the height of the body off the ground.  

I've just built them.........but the thoughts of aerodynamics didn't come into play until later in the sport.  before the flip body cars,  gassers ruled the strip......but in looking at them,  the rear of the car was never higher than the front..........they were always level to the ground.  the idea of the 'straight shot frame led to the rail dragster........they thought that length would better get a handle on stability  .......wrong!  {whole 'nother soapbox}  ;) 

this is probably why they got away from the street version body styles and started using the bodies you see today,  although you can still see the resemblance in pro stock and pro modified cars.   they corrected the angle in which the frame relates to the ground,  but the bodies are made to decrease the amount of air that can get under the car.  still love what you did for the hoses......making me want to rethink what is supplied in this kit.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

THX...the new funny's are a lot more areo, but I lean towards the old stuff, glad to see the nostalgia division catching on like it has, I like the look of the original car...well almost anyway:huh:   the "hoses" were fairly easy to make, I've a spool of the stretchy decorative cord in silver, just hit it with dullcote  and add clear blue and red to simulate the fittings, pretty convincing is smaller scales...don't know how well it would work on big stuff

Thanks to all for the likes and comments

With the body lower the injector hat needs a little room in the interior shroud...Just cut the old one away and added about 1/8 inch to the it's height 
M4Fkibu.jpg
WM0nuhV.jpg

clipped the final roll cage loop down as well
tebx0ub.jpg

and focused on finishing the chassis
48FrIND.jpg
LkEuDRW.jpg
it still needs a little touch-up work

When I went to decal the body I discovered that the decals were very brittle. you can see what happened, So I've ordered Micro Scale Liquid decal solution to prevent the others from breaking up, I'll airbrush the strips on the body, they are a two tone blue...French and Ford engine, both of which are in my enamel stock

2093765681_18-decal.JPG.f7c4cc7fd3e65e1c73838d40215ecd7f.JPG

VIFk8RI.jpg

Edited by jct

IF I recall correctly... big IF here, the first "funnies" had to have the stock ground clearance.  There were limitations on body style, what had to be on the body and what didn't.  At some point (good for them) the safety aspect took over and allowed dropping the body down to the ground practically.   I do vaguely recall a car in drag racing but it have been NASCAR that put a hard rubber apron (for lack of a better word) between the body shell and the ground for aerodynamics.   

The rails had been around since the beginning.   What the innovation occurred was with Garlits who had a bad crash/fire and figured out that putting the engine in the rear was the way to go for safety.   

Speaking of history..... anyone remember the 4-engine beast by Tommy Ivo?   There were more than a few two engine ones, but Ivo's the first 4 engine.   Not very successful in competition but as an exhibition car, with the twice the tire smoke (4 wheel drive) and 4 times the engine noise it was a crowd pleaser.

I gotta's stop walking down memory lane......  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

"I gotta's stop walking down memory lane....." 

Na...tis fun down there, this thing must be an engineering wonder...or a nightmare...one of the two :P 

410671634_tvtommyivo.jpg.460d1fd68c56011646e156c66868053c.jpg

The exhibition cars were super cool, remember the Hemi under glass and the Lil red wagon wheel standers?

hemi-under-glass-little-red-wagon-800x581.jpg.bfc59a948eb16351c29f469beb514b6d.jpg

30 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I gotta's stop walking down memory lane...... 

Or at least stay in the cross walk so that the rest of us don't run you over!:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The four engine was a nightmare from what I understood.  Getting all four engines synced was a big problem.   I know he went through a bunch of changed including going from each engine driving one wheel to setups where the front engines drove the front wheels and rear drove the back.  I think he ended up with the pair on the left driving the front and the pair on the right driving the rear... again the mists of time.  Edit:  the photo shows what I thought he ended up with.  It would have been a handful to drive any way it was configured.

I had the pleasure of working with Bill Maverick back around mid-seventies...  he was doing clocks for souvenirs,  and I did some photography and dark room work for him.  Was track photographer for a few years and had a lot of fun and met a lot of great people.   Something about standing on the edge of the asphalt with all the smells and noise about 20 feet away from the starting line.  Then there was diving over the guard rail if someone got out of wack during launch.  Sometimes had to change underwear afterwards.  Wish I had the photos from back then... rolls and rolls of 35mm negatives...  lost during various moves.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Another memory...

It was 1975, the Gator Nationals. Kris Karamesines (The Golden Greek) campaigned a AA Fuel Dragster that was painted in a beautiful black finish and all the parts were typically chromed or polished aluminum were gold plated. The rail got out of sorts from the start and he lost control of the car rolling over several times and parts/pieces flying everywhere. While most of the fans were concerned about Karamesines' well being, he jumped out of the wreckage and ran all over the track picking up gold plated pieces. It was pretty hilarious (and sad at the same time), and he was obviously worried about fans picking up gold plated souvenirs before he could collect them. Probably some fans did pick up gold plated souvenirs. 

Nice memories guys...the track photo gig sounds like a dream gig Mark...I remember being a English town and watching JJ do fire burn outs...that s--- was CRAZY!!

Here's another link to some old school stuff from George Klass http://georgeklass.net/index.html

Edited by jct

Thanks for that link... I've bookmarked it for later as there is sooooo much there.   What a trip down memory lane.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

The four engine was a nightmare from what I understood.  Getting all four engines synced was a big problem.   I know he went through a bunch of changed including going from each engine driving one wheel to setups where the front engines drove the front wheels and rear drove the back.  I think he ended up with the pair on the left driving the front and the pair on the right driving the rear... again the mists of time.  Edit:  the photo shows what I thought he ended up with.  It would have been a handful to drive any way it was configured.

The Revell kit of the Challenger was a nightmare for me to build back then as well. I want to try it again one day to see if it got any easier.

Thanks much for the likes and the great participation on this log...

After masking I airbrushed the French Blue...my place is over 100 yrs old and we still have the hot water rads, they are great for cooking a paint job...this will bake out for a few days then the strips masked off and the dark blue shot

161505469_25-Frenchblue.JPG.e4e54cd349eaa4d1ea5c8b7d78b5d684.JPG

Darker blue on a stick

1306938857_26Darkblue.JPG.72949ceac1fed8be2b5585a1b47a4dc6.JPG

on the site that I frequent,  some of them even require insurance,  if you buy them......collector's items.  I forget what the Revell kit I'm working on went for.......but it was produced in 1988.......really not that old.   there are some that are a lot older.   I really like what you've done with the chassis......you did a super job on it!  your mod work looks good too.......so sorry to see what happened to the decals. :(   yep.......that's what I call micro cracking....thousands of tiny shards.  can't wait to see what you do ;) 

pro stock and pro modified divisions have aero-ed the bodies too

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

THX Denis...shoot I remember when the AMT 3in1 kits cost a buck...probably dating myself there :rolleyes: 

the chassis mod is one of those deals where a single change leads to multiple down the road...a lot of trial fitting and cutting to get it all right, it makes a real difference in the look though, you'll really notice it in the finish pics.

I should have known the decals were gonna be brittle they've been stored to over 15 yrs, from everything I've read about the decal solution I ordered it should do the trick, but at least the paint job is simple enough to duplicate...got lucky having the right colors in stock too

consider that site book marked.........I was in there looking at some of the gassers........WOW!    awww.......cool paint jobs are always a crowd pleaser  ;) 

is that their version of decal bonder.........that's what I use.   I use their decal maker.   luckily,  you found out with decals you can imitate with paint.

I love the 3 in 1 kits.........used to have boxes of spare parts under my bed as a lad.   guess I dated myself too :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ya it is...never tried it on kit decals but it did work on ones I made from ink jet printer, got a laser now and haven't tried it for decals...may invest in some paper and give it a shot before the next resurrection project...JJ's 73 Vega Funny, that wont be for a while yet though

never tried it on laser either.   went look'in for an image to put in the rear window.......saw Calvin tinkling on a ford emblem :ph34r: 🏁

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

too big for the back window  :D  :D    great paint work!   no doubt you could do it.........right down to the lighter blue borders  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

that's the Calvin I was referring to.......I never knew what they called it either  ;)   I have one image for Ford,  one for Chevy,  and one that has them both.   I also got a couple of others.........the Duster emblem with the mini tornado,  and the Plymouth logo.   I may go with one of the latter two....the image is rather small........is it Calvin tinkling on a Plymouth emblem?  :ph34r: 🏁 :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

not a staunch sponsor?.........glad that I wouldn't feel like I was taunting you  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Not much to add at this point...still waiting for the decal stuff, seems they sent me the wrong item so they had to reship...may be here tomorrow.   In the interim I just been doing some touch-up work on the window frames and parachute pack, sorry no pics, maybe later today...show to shovel first, man I hate winter