Le Gros Ventre by ChrisLBren - 1/36

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning !

The construction site is now completed.  It is composed of a Melamine board 48 by 16 by 3/4 thick I liquid nailed to 1/1/4 Red Oak Stair Balusters.  It is dead level.  The rest of the structure is 3/4 MDF and 1/4 MDF for the upper platform with the usual 1/4 threaded rods.  I abandoned both the 3/4 inch birch plywood board screwed into the same oak balusters - it was not as level - and a 3/4 thick MDF board glued to 3/4 square battens.  I will use the 3/4 MDF as a moveable platform for the plans.  

My Taig milled arrived this week as well.  I chose the Taig as I was able to purchase a refurbished unit with the same warranty as new for a discount to list.  It comes stock to run at 10000rpm to cut wood with the upgraded motor.  I love its weight as 80lbs and the x travels a full 12 inches.  Its an amazing tool built with the same craftsmanship as my Byrnes machines.   Most of the Sherline accessories will fit it.  While not necessary to build this ship (I do love collecting tools though!) - it will certainly make the complicated and large structures of the bow and stern at this scale hopefully easier to realize.  Its first task will be to cut the rabbets into the keel parts.    

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

Keel section is complete (and shortened a wee bit on plan sheet 4 - its one of the only errors in the Mono)- thanks to the Taig for the rabbet, and a lot of hand sanding.  Next up the wing transom and tricky stern parts.

IMG_1026.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

Thanks Greg !  Yes I am - my schedule is grab some coffee and work 430am-630am while everyone else in the family is asleep (my workshop is in the basement which helps with the noise)  I really treasure this time doing a little everyday and just enjoying the process to begin my day.  

Probably the most difficult part to produce so far - Wing Transom.  I used every tool in my shop (mill, all the sanders and chisels).  I left off the dove tails in the rear of the part as it may make aligning the legs of the stern trickier later.  They really aren't necessary for the structure and the risk of screwing up my third attempt at this part isn't worth it ! 

Wing Transom.jpg

Wing T 5.jpg

Wing T 2.jpg

Wing T 3.jpg

• 1 year later...

Good morning Group,

After some spending some time in the doldrums, I have restarted Le Gros Ventre and spent the past month working on this assembly.  I probably built each part a half dozen times...

Decisions, do I begin the installation of the frames or tackle the other really tough part of the build, the hawse extensions?

IMG_1283 (1).jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

Go for the toughie.  Right now, your carpenter juices are flowing.  Frames become monotonous very quickly.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thanks everyone - I will attempt the hawse extensions next.  Im just trying to wrap my head around the approach and understanding the plans here.  I believe one must plane the blanks to the proper angle first, then cut out the pattern.  The biases are then added once the pieces are in a jig that depicts the tops of the extensions and their positions on the curve.

Hi Chris I did mine the other way around - I cut the profile pieces and then cut the angle onto them.  I'm pretty sure that either way will work though.  I would also cut the dovetails into the wing transom as I have looked back on my build and thought of some of the details that I have missed. They could have all been done and the reason they weren't was because my patience was lacking.  

Sometimes we get lost between strict historical accuracy and common sense.  You are showing the latter.  A much smarter choice.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.