Queen Anne Barge by MEDDO - FINISHED - Syren - scale 1:24

8 hours ago, dvm27 said:

if all the floors, futtocks and toptimbers are the same thickness this is a modelers convention to make the construction easier. 

Yup exactly 😁 me being the ham fisted clod with minimal skills and minimal experience milling my own wood thought it might be a touch easier for first scratch. Well unless you count this....

IMG_1690.jpeg.9a29c22365454c3078b2ceb3597a1f28.jpeg

which is technically my first scratch build 😳  circa 1975ish

My son just finished his eagle project and we have a bunch of scrap cut offs of some western red cedar.  I know it not that great for small scales but I thought I would at least practice dimensioning some of it as it was destined for the fire pit.  

Still eyeing the Cheerful as the frames and keel are already cut. 

8 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Plans and build instructions are all free on our Admiralty Models build site.

Yup I love the cross sections and have been going through the excellent logs here especially the one by @davec

I can't speak to Triton, but Echo was a great project.  The framing seemed to cover all the different frame types that I will need to make for the full ship model I hope to build someday.  My build took eons because I did two house moves and have a job a lot like yours, not because there was anything overly difficult about the model.  David and Greg were incredibly helpful, and there seems to be a lot more reference material (TFFSM in particular) for Echo than Triton.  Echo is just different enough from Swan class that it felt like there was adequate reference material, but not quite straight out of the book building.  The monograph is really helpful.  Unless you really like building cross sections, not sure there would be a lot of incremental learning in building both Triton and Echo.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Looks like we were posting at the same time

Congratulations on your son completing his Eagle project - that is a huge accomplishment!  My son was an Eagle Scout, too.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Maybe I am just a chicken 🐓 but some of those sub millimeter measurements you described make me envision a cascade failure of epic proportion haha.  

6 minutes ago, davec said:

Congratulations on your son completing his Eagle project - that is a huge accomplishment!  My son was an Eagle Scout, too.

Thanks. It has been a long road and the finish line is in sight. 

Druxey, exactly right. I am now looking at how to build the stern framing on my project. All I can do is look at one piece of wood in the plans and say "build that", then put it in place, and figure out where to go from there...

Meddo, looks good!

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

3 hours ago, jdbondy said:

Meddo, looks good!

Thanks JD.  

On 8/2/2020 at 8:44 AM, druxey said:

Taken one piece at a time it's not so intimidating

I think I keep getting ahead of myself worrying about the next next step etc.  Just need to concentrate on doing the thing in front of me right now

which is...

IMG_2036.jpeg.22cf4cd99a0115b4e6bb216414bf3dab.jpeg

many many pieces were harmed to bring this to an somewhat acceptable piece

1 hour ago, MEDDO said:

many many pieces

You only need the one 🙂 Nice work!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Just so you know, your Mon Mothma paraphrase was not lost on this reader!

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

Still plodding along.  the rudder is finished although not added yet as I don't want to take the chance of having it get knocked off.  The tiller is just press fit and is removable.

IMG_2037.thumb.jpeg.e2bcd659f859f2e04d9ec3be6c2837a3.jpeg

I spent the day making the flag poles and just have the flags to attach and shape for that to be done and the rest of the day was spent prepping the sweeps.  The painting should begin tomorrow.

IMG_2039.jpeg.6e25fe55fa54e781994f50c39408024b.jpeg

Another reason to not model while tired.  

I put this post here so maybe will help someone else not be like me....

While putting the sweeps together I ran into this problem

IMG_2043.thumb.jpeg.32c137d96103691853860dbf1e1415ae.jpeg

as you can see the square part has notches in the end for the handle and the shaft.  I wasn't quite paying attention and when putting them together last night ended up with a few like the one pictured at the top.  The one in the middle is correct.  I didn't even realize this until I came down today and saw something funny on a couple of them.  Obviously the plans have them right (another reason to always go back to the plans).  The notches are not the same size.  Here are a few more close ups

IMG_2044.thumb.jpeg.4993539cde175a1973408e823c90f6b5.jpeg

IMG_2045.thumb.jpeg.8ad9fff032b41cbfafe7fa802c695a79.jpeg

Haha had to take them apart and use some of my precious precious isopropyl.  Them came apart easily and 'correctly' glued together.  

Always learning...

There isn't enough time for me to tell you about some things I've done and, when I noticed it, I scratched my head and said, "How the hell did I do that!"

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

They say that you lose 50 IQ points as soon as you open a glue bottle.  Been there, done that.

‘I looked into a book on trigonometry once,’ said Martin. ‘It was called A Simple Way of Resolving All Triangles, invaluable for Gentlemen, Surveyors, and Mariners, carefully adapted for the Meanest Understanding: but I had to give it up. Some understandings are even meaner than the author imagined, it appears.’

Being a good modeler is knowing and being willing to take apart a mistake and do it over. 

Based on that axiom I’m a really good modeler 

Being a great modeler is not making the mistake in the first place. 

I am not great 🤣😂

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

20 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Being a great modeler is not making the mistake in the first place

"The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"  Edward John Phelps 1899

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Getting there.  Need to decide on final mounting.  Still leaving the rudder off until finished with the carvings.  Carvings are still being practiced.  I do want to try one with a rotary tool as so far have only been using the 11 blade scalpel and carving knife.

IMG_2046.jpeg.469305e81ab5cc421f213f89e7e555f3.jpeg

These are the first flags I attached to the poles. I had an epic fail when trying to shape them.  Turns out you can use too much of a good thing (krylon fixative).  So after printing out a few more on some tissue paper I was able to practice enough and get 2 to come out looking fairly decent.

IMG_2055.jpeg.907d56de7b2048f9af9e9c8d6bbadb74.jpeg

Now just on to the carvings...

Deo Volente

Those flags look really good.   Very realistic and to scale.  You shaped them pretty darn good too.  If you alternate the blades of the sweeps on the left and right sides of each stack, it looks much better and more balanced.

bargenj.jpg

On 8/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, MEDDO said:

Still eyeing the Cheerful as the frames and keel are already cut. 

A decision you won't regret - its a challenge, and a joy.

Regards,

Glenn

50 minutes ago, Chuck said:

If you alternate the blades of the sweeps on the left and right sides of each stack, it looks much better and more balanced.

Looks much better that way.  

49 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Your great work is tempting me to get myself one....

Do it!!!  After this kit I am giving the big ol side eye to the other kits in my stash.  They simply cannot compete

Superb work on these flags Michael.  She is going to be beautiful !

I can only confirm: this kit is a little gem. Chuck really did it all perfectly.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

2 hours ago, MEDDO said:

After this kit I am giving the big ol side eye to the other kits in my stash.  They simply cannot compete

I know exactly what you mean. After I finished the Medway Longboat I began building the Pen Duick by AL and, although I love this sailboat and its history, it pales in comparison to the quality of the longboat. I spend more time grappling to make sense of the instructions and plans than actually building the boat. Like you, I now am questioning whether or not it's worth it to build some of the other ships in my stash. So now I'm thinking that I should just sell some of them. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, MEDDO said:

Turns out you can use too much of a good thing (krylon fixative).  So after printing out a few more on some tissue paper I was able to practice enough and get 2 to come out looking fairly decent.

Do you have any tips or suggestions for getting the flags to look nice and then stay there? I’m hoping to put an ensign on my build eventually and shaping them was something that I was curious about.

Your build looks awesome by the way! 

3 hours ago, JpR62 said:

Superb work on these flags Michael.  She is going to be beautiful !

Thanks Jean-Paul

2 hours ago, BobG said:

So now I'm thinking that I should just sell some of them. 

My thoughts exactly

28 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I’ll get one after both of you start on your own  Cheerful 😀 

Maybe soon although the wife really likes the Echo cross section

31 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Do you have any tips or suggestions for getting the flags to look nice and then stay there? I’m hoping to put an ensign on my build eventually and shaping them was something that I was curious about.

First thing I would do is to practice a few times with some tissue and some scrap poles.  You don't even have to print the pattern for the practice runs.  A few attempts and they really started to look better.

I used regular tissue paper that the wife had for wrapping presents.  I cut a piece out and then just used scotch tape to tape all the edges to a piece of regular printer paper.  

I then printed the design with a normal ink jet printer.  

After cutting it out (11 blade scalpel) I used some thread to attach it to a pole.  

I used Krylon matte fixative in the big spray can.  My first few attempts ended up using too much and apparently was doing it in too high humidity.  Too much spray resulted in a whitish frosting on the tissue when it dried.  It also wetted it so much that it became very fragile and tore.  I did do it in my office/workshop (very smelly not recommended) as it was in the 90's today with really high humidity.

After spraying both sides lightly I gently shaped it with my fingers as well as the roundish tips of a pair of hemostats and the end of a round paint brush.  The spray has about 10-15 minute wet time so there was plenty of time to shape it.  I was able to spray again if it did not dry in a nice enough shape.  

After a few tries I then proceeded to make the final ones which I think came out pretty well.

Here is a picture of the white frosting on the practice runs

IMG_2056.thumb.jpeg.65df2b4c2713368fb28a4457f8151439.jpeg