HMBV Granado by Vane - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Sanding it between coats hides the wood grain.

I should, and probably will on my next build.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I kind of want to raise the bar on each one of my kits. Once i start working on the Diana i really need everything to be top notch. But with my Victory i just want to finish it as quickly as possible to the Good enuff level. Granado is somewhere in between 🙂

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

I have the Anatomy Of The Ship for the Granado.  It’s on my to-build list.

I’m going to build it in 1/72 scale.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Great book for references.  At one time I had a good collection of them.  I still have a few.  I last year bought a copy for the HMS Victory, paid a high price for it from eBay.  The book was folded in 1/2 and looked like it had been dragged behind a dump truck!  The older books are a hard back/card and the newer ones are paper back!  Looking forward to your build.

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

It’s a great reference book.  Like I said before, I’m going to build mine from it.

3 hours ago, RickyGene said:

Great book for references.  At one time I had a good collection of them.  I still have a few.  I last year bought a copy for the HMS Victory, paid a high price for it from eBay.  The book was folded in 1/2 and looked like it had been dragged behind a dump truck!  The older books are a hard back/card and the newer ones are paper back!  Looking forward to your build.

Rick

I got the AOTS books for all my kits besides the HMS Snake... perhaps they can produce that one also 😉

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

• 1 month later...

Taking a break from the coppering of my Snake and doing some details on my Granado. This was not easy.. made a jig but still very tricky to get everything in place.

20191011_194703.jpg

Unfortunately, the inner bulwark patterns didnt fully match up with outer gunport patterns, so i cut them into several pieces before glueing them in place. I hope this works.

20191012_221616.jpg

Thanks, yes I bought a used issue form Amazon UK... but unfortunately it was shipped from US and took a very long time to get. I also had to pay extra because of coming from the outside of EU. My AOTS Diana was much easier and cheaper to get. I Think I will try to get the Bellona issue at one point as well. 

Edited by Vane

14 hours ago, Vane said:

Your buildlog is a great inspiration for me!

Thanks Vane.

Any questions as you progress, just ask!

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

• 2 weeks later...

I did start with the 2nd planking from the bottom just to see how it will look like with Tanganyika.  Its abit different to work with this Wood.

I will paint this White in the end so i can still change my mind.  So should I continue with this?

20191027_104951.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2nd planking is going quite well. I have been using thick CA to avoid pinholes. It took some practice to get used to it but now i find it easy to work with. 

20191110_035713.jpg

Tanganyika looks very good.  Walnut would be much too dark with a noticeable grain pattern.  The planking came out wonderful.  Nicely done.

Thanks alot, it wouldnt had been possible without your help and introducing me to the "Chuck-method" for pre bending planks. Tanganyika is a bit softer than walnut and you have to be really carefull when bending it in the "wrong" direction so it dont splinter or even breaks. After sanding the surface feels extremely smooth. Not sure yet exactly how it will look. It will be interesting to see it after I painted the lower hull white and applied poly.   

I finally got my hands on some Boxwood. I have already done the 2nd planking in Tanganyika but here you can see the difference in colour and grain. 

20191203_230519.jpg

Yes its a very different style. We will see how the Boxwood turnes out on my Speedy. But boxwood is much different to work with. The Tanganyika is abit soft and splinters. 

I am definitely happy i didnt stay with the supplied walnut. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Vane

Your tanganyika planking looks excellent. Congratulations on your very neat oar ports, too!  When I made my Granado, I didn't realise that there were no cutouts for them in the gunport patterns until  too late!

I didn't use the walnut for the upper hull of Granado, either - instead I used lime, coloured with a light oak stain, then a clear varnish over that. I wasn't completely satisfied with the result, although it seems an improvement on the walnut - not as good as yours though! (on the other hand, I did use the walnut supplied for the planking of Pegasus which I'm currently working on, and was pleased with its colour and texture).  I guess that walnut varies a lot from batch to batch.

Best wishes,

Tom.

Current Builds: HMS PegasusRussian Brig Mercury (Victory Models)

Completed Builds: HM Bomb Vessel Granado (Caldercraft)

16 minutes ago, tom kinglake said:

Hi Vane

Your tanganyika planking looks excellent. Congratulations on your very neat oar ports, too!  When I made my Granado, I didn't realise that there were no cutouts for them in the gunport patterns until  too late!

I didn't use the walnut for the upper hull of Granado, either - instead I used lime, coloured with a light oak stain, then a clear varnish over that. I wasn't completely satisfied with the result, although it seems an improvement on the walnut - not as good as yours though! (on the other hand, I did use the walnut supplied for the planking of Pegasus which I'm currently working on, and was pleased with its colour and texture).  I guess that walnut varies a lot from batch to batch.

Best wishes,

Tom.

Thanks, let me know when u have put up some photos. It will be really interesting to see!

4 hours ago, Vane said:

Thanks, let me know when u have put up some photos. It will be really interesting to see!

I've just put a few photos of Granado into the gallery.  I've made a couple of small alterations since I took these in July 2018 (including tidying up the stray barrels!) and I'll post some updates when I can get some decent shots.

Cheers,

Tom.

Current Builds: HMS PegasusRussian Brig Mercury (Victory Models)

Completed Builds: HM Bomb Vessel Granado (Caldercraft)