HMS Triton Cross Section by Edwardkenway - 1:64 probably more like 1:60 - FINISHED

Hi all, this will be a very slow build as I'm still undecided wether to build 1:48 or 1:64. With the latter I'm going to have to get my plans resized, with the former a whole new stock of wood will have to be bought. That said I may end up doing both just for all the experience. 

Any way not alot to post about apart from having spent the last hour or two printing the plans.

Cheers all 

Jon

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Depending on that programs, apps, etc. on your computer, you might be able to import the plans and reduce them down to print out at the right size.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark, Hmm I'm not at all tech savvy and can just about manage an email but I will look into it. Do they do things like that for tablets (a very old galaxy tab s?)

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Hi all, I have managed to resize the plans and have reprinted the smaller versions.

I've cut out one test frame template and glued it to my wood which is walnut, and now just need to cut the frame components which will be slow work as I'm using a coping saw with a very fine blade. Unfortunately I don't yet own a scroll saw but depending on how I find making my own parts I will buy one.

Til next time

20190905_200408.jpg

20190905_200352.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Well after a couple of hours I have my first frame cut, it definitely in need of some serious sanding but for a first attempt and that with a coping saw I'M happy. Only eight more to go.😅

20190905_212559.jpg

20190905_212619.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Good job!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

20190906_221412.thumb.jpg.f37e8cd86dddcc8387ed5bfb9be6b809.jpgfirst frame glued, hopefully these make do clamps will work.

I'm buying stronger clamps for the rest of the frames. Having put this one together I now think it is not 1:64 but 1:60 so as long as all the rest of the parts are the same it will  be  ok.

Current builds;

Completed:

This is going to be a long, slow and enjoyable experience as I'm learning new skills and seeing something I've made come slowly together. 

I checked that my drawings were the same and yes all frame drawing are  identical, apart from position number/letter.

Bought some  new and finer blades for my coping saw. 

Well I cut my 2nd frame and it's better than the 1st, at this rate my last one should be perfect!! It's now glued and clamped and while waiting for the glue to dry I attempted to cut the rabbet into  the keel, the one you see in the photo is my 3rd try, I think I may go with that one.

Cheers

20190908_204431.jpg

20190908_204412.jpg

20190908_212319.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Edwardkenway,I feel your pain re the sizing of the plans when printed. I recently printed a whole pile sheets to begin a project.. I was very pleased with myself at having given such forethought to the matter.Of course I went straight in like a bat out hell and started sawing cutting &sanding....all went well... I then needed to copy a few more sheets and after cutting them and sanding could not understand why things were not fitting as they should.After cursing the publisher of the plans  I checked the computer and printer...…. The size of the print had altered.!!!Not by me...

So a cautionary tale..like you Edward I went ahead at the original size for the experience.

Cheers. DanW

Hi Daniel 

This was supposed to be 1:64 but has ended up about 1:60 luckily all drawings have been printed and all of them are the same scale. 

Thanks for looking in

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all

Rain today so not at work so I have done a bit on my build. Tack glued another frame template ready to cut out and made the gun carriage sides. These are made from some scrap 2mm walnut ply.  These 4 are the best of my efforts. I'm not quite ready to tackle the wheels yet so I'll leave them till later when I'm a bit more confident. 

Cheers

20190909_134850.jpg

20190909_140920.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

On 9/8/2019 at 1:28 PM, Edwardkenway said:

This is going to be a long, slow and enjoyable experience as I'm learning new skills and seeing something I've made come slowly together. 

I checked that my drawings were the same and yes all frame drawing are  identical, apart from position number/letter.

Bought some  new and finer blades for my coping saw. 

Well I cut my 2nd frame and it's better than the 1st, at this rate my last one should be perfect!! It's now glued and clamped and while waiting for the glue to dry I attempted to cut the rabbet into  the keel, the one you see in the photo is my 3rd try, I think I may go with that one.

Cheers

Don't feel bad.  This project was my first scratch build also.  Well.. actually I did a 1:24 cannon first, but I digress.   I remember redoing the frames.  As I recall, I did the first one about 3 times... then started the next one.  I think by the time I was happy with all frames I could have built several models from the throw aways.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi all, 

Could not find the time to get any more frames made up, so decided to have a crack at the gun carriage axles and wheels. 

I racked my brain thinking what to use for the wheels but then I looked at the pencil I'd been chewing, it would be perfect as it was 5mm diameter and the lead ran exactly through the centre. So I drilled the lead out and then sliced the pencil into as many rounds as it would make as I was bound to break some.20190911_222648.thumb.jpg.f1f9df0e25b598dbd38741a2cf951d2a.jpgI could not cut them to thin as they just broke apart so there was a lot of sanding to make them look passable.  All in all I had an enjoyable couple of hours doing this.

Oh well back to the frames next time, although there's no rush as I'm waiting for the wood for the deck structure to arrive. 

Cheers

20190911_222431.jpg

20190911_222618.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, had 2 or 3 hours on my cross section mainly cutting frames and assembling them. I've only got four more to make, but as my decking timber has not arrive yet I'm not going to rush them.

This is because I've found that when rushing thing go wrong, and that's  why my last two frames were cut out twice with one of them going in the scrap box.

Well till next time, 

Cheers 

20190915_205857.jpg

20190915_225832.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Just remember the scrap box is always hungry.  And don't empty it but if you must, keep the bigger chunks for use where you just need a small part made.

You're doing good on this. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you Mark for your encouraging comments.👍

The scrap box will never be empty on this and subsequent builds.

Anyway back to the cross section and I'm celebrating as I've finished cutting the frames.🍾👍As soon as my deck structure wood turns up I'll be cutting all the components of those out but I can see more than a lot of pieces of walnut now that the frames are glued. Just a "bit" of sanding and I'm ready to start putting it  together. 

I just realized why I'm still waiting for my wood, I forgot to click ORDER😠

20190916_223220.jpg

20190924_181926.jpg

20190924_181913.jpg

20190924_182002.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Don’t feel bad, we’ve all done it.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

20190905_212559.jpg

If you haven't done so by now, may I suggest you consider using a much smaller and finer toothed blade on your coping saw. Really good coping saws cost as much as a cheap scroll saw, but you might find a better coping saw, if not a scroll saw, a good investment, considering the amount of use you would get out of it on this build and in the future. An investment in such tools could well pay for itself in money saved on sandpaper! A good cutting tool is always a better option than sanding in terms of overall cost, efficiency of use, and quality of the result.

Watch the Knew Concepts saws video on their web page: https://www.knewconcepts.com/Coping-saws.php  A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. For around $100 USD, one of these will change your life. I don't know if they are readily available in the UK, but they should be easy enough to order on line. You're doing great work with the one pictured above, but it's got to be a bit like trying to sharpen a pencil with a broad axe ! 

Edited by Bob Cleek

Bob thanks for the advice, I have bought some very fine blades, they are Japanese and are a spiral so  I can cut in any direction without having to alter the saw frame. That said I will look into upgrading my coping saw, so many thanks for your interest and encouragement .

Cheers 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all, 

Another short stint on the cross section and it has seen me attach the frames to the keel and then fix the keelson. Now waiting for the glue to dry before doing more. 

Till next time

Cheers 

Thank you  all who have looked in.😉

20190926_204012.jpg

20190926_204034.jpg

20190926_204022.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi all,

Just small update, my wood arrived just about 24 hours after clicking order.

So marked lower deck clamp and glued planks to sit deck beams on then dry fitted two beams as test. As they fitted I glued them in place, but no doubt they'll  have  to come out again!!! but it is only white glue. The  rest of the beams are now laying out pinned to put the required camber on them.

There's a lot of cutting  notching and measuring to do now so till next time. 😅

Cheers

Thanks for the likes.👍

20190928_225737.jpg

20190928_225811.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Thanks for looking in Eamonn 👍

Hi, we got a lot of rain here where I live so got myself a few more hours on Triton X section. 

As I knew they would the deck beams I fixed yesterday had to come off, well one of them.

Started to plank the inside. Shaped the limber stakes from some basswood as it was the largest strip I have in my stock. The thick stuff over the futtock joints is beech.

I'm liking the beech wood, I may have to use it on my Triton POB build.

This X section is coming along now, still slowly but I can see what I'm doing now.

Well that's it for now,  because I have to let the glue dry.

Till next time 

Cheers 

20190929_165755.jpg

20190929_100958.jpg

20190929_163746.jpg

20190929_163814.jpg

20190929_163802.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi again,  more rain today so more time on Triton X section. 

More planking on the inside and beam arms cut and attached to the deck beam.

If it keeps raining I shall have this finished😅

Thanks for the likes and looking in👍20190929_222532.thumb.jpg.81a2b9877bec6a2a8e3c84c4ab52022b.jpgsorry about the strobing effect of the planking but I'm mainly using whatever wood I have and just buying what I haven't got.

20190929_222523.jpg

20190929_222557.jpg

20190929_224328.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi, RAIN AGAIN@#@÷!!, so not at work.

Started on the lower deck structure,  it's so intensive,  I have nothing but the utmost respect for those people doing a full framed scratch build, all those frames and decks. But I'm getting there (faster with the weather as it is). Got let the glue dry so till next time😉👍

Cheers 

20191001_183510.jpg

20191001_183500.jpg

20191001_183533.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Thanks Chad.

I was just going to put a matt varnish on it. I wouldn't know what oil to use. I have some teak oil for the outdoor chairs, would that do it?

Cheers 

Jon 

Current builds;

Completed:

Yeah, try some on a scrap and see what you think. I used tung oil on my cross section and am using Danish oil (very similar to teak oil) on my Eagle now. A good way to get a "preview" of what it would look like is to get some mineral spirits and and wipe some on the wood.  I've found the color change is similar to what i get with oil, except the mineral spirits evaporate fully in an hour or so and goes back to the original color. If that is a path you go down, just make sure any major gluing you are doing is done (for instance, the ceiling planking in the hold is complete and there's nothing much left in there so you could put a finish on there- but you still need to put the knees in between decks and you wouldn't get as good adhesion). Just my two cents... :)

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

Thanks again Chad, I'll try the teak oil on some scrap as you suggested,  if it looks good I'll get the hanging and lodging knees done then give the planking an oiling.

Cheers 

Jon 

Current builds;

Completed:

Hi, been at work today so only had couple of hours on X section this evening. 

Still at work on the lower deck structure, lots of components,  the knees take a bit of cutting and shaping to make them fit. I think there is at least another 2 or 3 hours work before this deck is done, then it's more of the same for the gun deck.

Thanks Chad, Eamonn, Phil and Blackviking for your interest 👍

Til next time. 

Cheers 

20191003_214100.jpg

20191003_214017.jpg

20191002_223133.jpg

20191002_223226.jpg

20191003_213934.jpg

Current builds;

Completed: