Sharpie Schooner by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - Midwest Products - 1:32

Thanks Richard! I had an aha moment a few days ago (and it’s really a ridiculous notion that I should have been doing for awhile) when I saw a picture detailing how to tie a lanyard on the forum. Basically, I should be using some reference books to help me.

I had bought “Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern” by Milton Roth and it has some decent descriptions for rigging and a whole host of other details but I had gotten way to used to simply web searching and I wasn’t finding the right answers. Now I’m using this book for help as much as possible and I’m slowly building out a library for reference.

I seem to recall somewhere a "rule of thumb" of 3 or 4 times the diameter of the deadeye for the space between them.

That looks pretty close to me.

Thanks,

Gary

Current Builds -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

10 minutes ago, cdrusn89 said:

I seem to recall somewhere a "rule of thumb" of 3 or 4 times the diameter of the deadeye for the space between them.

That looks pretty close to me.

I appreciate this, it is really helpful.

I've been hard at work stepping the masts and finishing up the rigging.

UBCEZFyh.jpg

Next up is a closer look at how I created the rope coils. Basically I press the rope into some tape and slowly rotate it. Once the coil is completed I apply so white glue and wait for it to dry. After it dries I can remove it from the tape, flip it over and glue it to the deck. Next time I won't be using such a large piece of wood under the tape so that I can get the coil closer to the cleat.

9sVh447h.jpg

4zNVj9dh.jpg

I added the anchor (bought already black from Cornwall Model Boats):

4ejqrHvh.jpg

Finally I rigged the deadeyes

ePVaz8Mh.jpg

All I have remaining is to cut 4 brass rods, blacken them and glue them above the deadeyes on the shrouds (which if I do it correctly should remove the twist in the lanyards). I'm not certain exactly what I want to do for the display base if anyone has any suggestions. I had originally planned on two dowels (one slotted for the keel) but I'm concerned about the front of the ship not having anything to really connect to on the front dowel and slipping around.

Very nice details!  Love your rope ideas!  There is a great YouTube video on using silkspan as sails (just search silkspan sails in YouTube).  I have bought silk span but have not yet used it.   I also purchase “Kona” cotton for sails as it was mentioned in a post on this site...it’s basically backer for quilts and can be bought at fabric Stores.  It’s what my sails on my Chesapeake bay crabbing skiff were made of.

Thanks! I wish I could take full credit for the rope details but I gathered them from here and there with small tweaks. 

I ended up using cheap cotton from Walmart for the sails. I’ll look up the silkspan tutorial and see if it helps me. I was having issues with consistency in the overlap. Oddly enough, I enjoyed using the sewing machine so I may simply put some more energy there to get better at it.

I still have to make a display base (and maybe a case) but I think I'm going to call this build finished. Not everything is quite as tight and perfect as I'd like it to be, but overall I'm very happy with how this turned out for my second build. Please pardon the ugly fence background, after I get the base finished I'll try to do some proper shots and post a gallery.

Thank you all for the likes and comments; they were very encouraging and I simply appreciate this community!

3HF1bM4.jpg

DdxOU3v.jpg

xz73jwp.jpg

esi3tj5.jpg

9U1xXvr.jpg

uKWxKAJ.jpg

1qbjPiZ.jpg

PLTJMZE.jpg

cu7TcxJ.jpgBOsj0ml.jpg

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

6 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Congratulations!  Well done!

I appreciate it! Now to “step up” to a warship 🙂

10 hours ago, thibaultron said:

Great job, looks great!

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Duanelaker said:

She’s is beautiful! What’s next??

I received Vanguard's Alert for Christmas, but I think I may do the planking project first.

9 hours ago, Retired guy said:

Congratulation does look good under blue skies :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Regards

Richard  

Thanks! I like the outdoor shots as well, something a little different (but now I may not be able to continue putting off re-staining the fence).

• 10 months later...

Hi Tim,

I just finished going through your build here. Outstanding! Really? This was only your second build? Stunning job! 

How do you like the Midwest kits?

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

@pwog Thank you very much, I was too shy to log my first build a Chesapeake Bay Flattie (also by Midwest) but there are a few pictures in the gallery. I really learned a lot on both of these (and still learning tons more currently).

I really like Midwest kits as a beginner model. They are pretty inexpensive and the instructions are pretty clear and straight forward - nothing is too complicated. They are also relatively quick builds that have plenty of room for detailing if one choose to. 

My biggest issue with them is the fittings. The Sharpie had plastic blocks 😬 so I replaced all of them on the Sharpie with rope, blocks, cleats, etc from Syren. 

It is unfortunate that they are no longer being manufactured so if any catch your eye watch eBay for it.

Edited by VTHokiEE

• 3 months later...

Very nice, VTHokiEE!!! I'm almost done with my version, but it is not even close to yours.  Great work.  I'm using your idea about coiled rope! 

I've ended up using the kit provided blocks to 'teach myself a lesson' in what never to do again.  Your deadeyes look great too.  I ended up following the kit instructions on this one. Next project -lessons learned!

I did decide to plank the deck rather than score it.  First time I've done that.  I used Ronnberg's Smuggler book for hints on how to do it.

Thank you so much for sharing your work! Keep it up and please keep sharing!

Will

Thank you @Zocane! It is very much appreciated. I hope you end up posting some pictures when you’re finished to the gallery. I would love to take a look at it.

35 minutes ago, Zocane said:

did decide to plank the deck rather than score it.

That sounds really nice; I bet it looks awesome.

36 minutes ago, Zocane said:

the kit provided blocks to 'teach myself a lesson' in what never to do again

My first build was a Midwest Chesapeake Flattie and I certainly learned many of those lessons on that build. Hopefully each build has a few less “what not to do in the future” than the build before.

Thanks again and I hope to see some of your work eventually!

I totally missed this one Tim, abject apologies, it's a lovely little schooner 🙂

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 10:52 PM, Edwardkenway said:

I totally missed this one Tim, abject apologies, it's a lovely little schooner 🙂

Same as Edward  - sincerley sorry I missed your build log on this  - atleast I have caught it now  - loverly work indeed mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

A beautiful boat beautifully crafted. Congrats...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 1 year later...
On 10/29/2019 at 11:29 AM, VTHokiEE said:

RZrXuy4l.jpg

Did you scratch build the benches? My manual says nothing about benches except the seat supports built during the cabin step but nothing on top of them. I assume the iron is scratch as well? I didn't buy anything 3rd party as this is only my first true ship kit, aside from that dumb Dory. So I have no idea how to figure out if the included blocks are the right scale. I failed math 3 years in a row in high school and am trying not to go down that road. I hate the idea of plastic cleats as well. But I had considered just scratch building cleats and trying match the size as close as possible. 

Edited by Wookiewithacamera
Excess quote

52 minutes ago, Wookiewithacamera said:

Did you scratch build the benches? My manual says nothing about benches except the seat supports built during the cabin step but nothing on top of them.

I believe the installation of the benches is on the bottom of page 38 in the instructions. I did some rough guesses for deadeyes/cleats/rope/etc and picked them up from Syren. I can find track down sizes a little later today. I think I got the anchor from Cornwall models (along with the chain). I can see if I have details on that as well. 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:54 AM, VTHokiEE said:

5kETZENh.jpg

After dry fitting my masts I felt like something was missing, but Google didn't turn up any searches that named the item in question. "Deck Rings" I believe is what my mind was thinking was needed. I assume above your cleats is a boom rest? I saw those in my Modelling Simplified book.