Chikuma by Javlin - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC - IJN Heavy Cruiser

That! is a beautiful ship Brother....... Understated elegance....

I've just got to learn how to do that....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

15 minutes ago, CDW said:

Very nice display boards, too.

Sapele an African Mahogany I luv to work with it and it's cheap.;)

2 minutes ago, Egilman said:

That! is a beautiful ship Brother....... Understated elegance....

One thing I like EG about ships over a/c is you see it all unlike a/c you close it up.;)

6 minutes ago, CDW said:

Where do you buy it?

I have to drive about 90 minutes to Pontchatoula LA Acadia Lumber I usually go in March/April when the strawberry's are out.I buy a flat or two and chucking tops out the window on the drive back LA strawberrys to me are the best.;)

https://ponchatoulachamber.com/directory/member/4178_acadian-cypress-amp-hardwoods-inc

1 hour ago, Javlin said:

I may do a comp in Mobile for giggles be my first in 20 years might do the trio?

You really need a Nagato to go along with those two, (or maybe a Yamato for the Okinawa mission)

You do beautiful work...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

2 minutes ago, Egilman said:

or maybe a Yamato for the Okinawa mission)

Yeah I was noticing Destroyer,Light Cruiser and Heavy Cruiser.........Then I have the Mogami in the stash with the 1/2 flight deck about 20/25 planes.  ;)

A better listing for some reason Craig Norton/Google wants to block http://www.acaciahardwoods.net/

Great work Kevin!  The Yahagi looks fantastic!

Is that the Tamiya Yukikaze?  How did you find the kit?  I might start that one as my next 1/350 build if I can ever find the motivation to finish my Shimakaze.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

21 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

How did you find the kit?

Very Easy to build Mike I think the build took me 4/6 weeks from start to finish that's fast for a ship.I now want you to feast your eyes upon this a company I have never heard of but provided the other part of the up-grade for the Scharnhorst.I think a destroyer 25" would be a Nice start to see if the kits are build able and to cut your teeth on.;)

https://3d-wild.com/products/1-200-wwii-japanese-navy-shimakaze-destroyer-model-kit?pr_prod_strat=description&pr_rec_id=e0572105d&pr_rec_pid=6934498476085&pr_ref_pid=6947497115701&pr_seq=uniform

1_404979ad-06c5-4f9b-8d2b-29d7adb9791b_2000x.webp

4_966e53d1-1dc4-49c6-8a78-ebebc09df4c4_2000x.webp

7_35f55925-93de-4769-a0f8-01ae79a2d7ca_2000x.webp

5 minutes ago, CDW said:

A little 1:200 USS Smith DD as well 

Yes Sir ree a not modeled subject to often I keep thinking about painting but you know the wooden decks I just got for the Sharnhorst come with mask I wonder :stunned:

I think I am about to blow up Mike's wallet :D

Edited by Javlin

Hey guys,

I was really excited when I first saw the 3D Wild kits, but do your research on them.  I found some reviews on modelwarships.com (I think) and they were not that favorable.  From what I remember, among other issues, the hulls are printed in sections, and the fit is not great at all.  They can make a nice model, but there is a lot of work to be done to correct the kit issues.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I was really excited when I first saw the 3D Wild kits, but do your research on them.

I found one on the site about the 1/350 scale aircraft carrier they made some valid points one being no locking pins for alignment on the hull pieces.I have yet to see buildup yet would be interesting to follow.;)

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

Hey guys,

I was really excited when I first saw the 3D Wild kits, but do your research on them.  I found some reviews on modelwarships.com (I think) and they were not that favorable.  From what I remember, among other issues, the hulls are printed in sections, and the fit is not great at all.  They can make a nice model, but there is a lot of work to be done to correct the kit issues.

If this hull is multi-sectional, I sure couldn't see it in the photos.

Shimakaze, 3D-Wild CY512 (2022) (scalemates.com)

36 minutes ago, CDW said:

If this hull is multi-sectional, I sure couldn't see it in the photos.

Well, it is a two piece, split bow and stern on the midships mark.... clearly see it in the pic...

Quote:

8 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Well, it is a two piece, split bow and stern on the midships mark.... clearly see it in the pic...

Yes, I see it now. Doesn't seem a big deal though, two pieces split midship. I've been following the threads of a couple of modelers here who pieced together massive 1:48 scale, 3D printed Corvette destroyers with multi section hulls with excellent results

Here is a review of the Ryujo, admittedly a bigger model, but it still gives me a bit of pause in trying out one of these kits:

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ijn/cv/Ryujo-350-3dw/3DWildRyujo.htm

Mike

14 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Here is a review of the Ryujo, admittedly a bigger model, but it still gives me a bit of pause in trying out one of these kits:

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ijn/cv/Ryujo-350-3dw/3DWildRyujo.htm

I can see where this one would definitely be a gamble to get the hull sections joined without losing detail. Beautifully cast (printed?) hull parts. From the comments I read, I presume it's 3D printed resin?

Craig, it does look like a 3D print. They removed the print rafts to fit into less space, the reviewer said. The resin used looks good.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

13 hours ago, CDW said:

I can see where this one would definitely be a gamble to get the hull sections joined without losing detail. Beautifully cast (printed?) hull parts. From the comments I read, I presume it's 3D printed resin?

Yeah, I believe it's printed resin.

Mike

I am just about finished with the railing with the SS L/side being the last little bit.The chain up front needs some glue ,deck R/side under storage rack more paint glue mark and then on too the rigging.I added a target to the R/side of the funnel not real wild about the strapping  "is what it is";)

chikuma 001.JPG

chikuma 002.JPG

chikuma 003.JPG

chikuma 004.JPG

chikuma 005.JPG

chikuma 006.JPG

Looking great Kevin!  Fantastic job!  What are you going to use for rigging?  I was going to use EZ-Line Fine, but decided to go with Infini.  But then I realized I didn't have the right size so had to order it 🤬  Hopefully should get it later this week.

Mike