Kit suggestion for a newbie

mikegr

I am looking to buy my first kit, around 70-80cm long .I decided to go for a frigate model which suits my needs and my budget. So i found some nice models online and decided to share it with you. Every suggestion is welcome. 

My best option so far is this

https://hobi.lt/en/hobbies/modelling/occre/occre-ns-mercedes-spanish-frigate-185-scale-wood-model-ship-kit-14007

or this

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/artesania-hermione.html#SID=1786

Do you think these models are suitable for begginers? Or should i look for something simplier, like these

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/model-shipways-rattlesnake-MS2028.html#SID=60

https://hobi.lt/en/hobbies/modelling/occre/160-occre-hms-beagle-ideal-beginners-scale-model-kit-12005

Also if you have a favourite sellen in EU, you can let me know here or via PM

have a nice day all

44 minutes ago, mikegr said:

Do you think these models are suitable for begginers?

Well, that depends! The first question is, did you read this post here? If you did, you'll note that it isn't impossible for beginners to build kits like the ones you listed, but it is challenging. If you are interested in warships in general, you might wish to consider something with less, i.e. less planking, less guns, and less rigging. Brigs and cutters fit this bill nicely, and there are many great new kits of such vessels now on the market.

But -- if you do decide to try one of the kits that you linked to, I would first of all avoid Artesania Latina, mainly because the word on the street is that they have gone out of business, which -- if true -- means that their customer support will be non-existent, should you need it. The choice between OcCre and Model Shipways (MS) largely depends on what you expect from a kit. MS kits generally have far fewer pre-cut elements in them, and a kit like Rattlesnake will assume that the builder has some previous experience. OcCre kits get a lot of positive reviews, and we have reviewed the Beagle kit here at MSW.

Hope this helps a bit!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

5 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Well, that depends! The first question is, did you read this post here? If you did, you'll note that it isn't impossible for beginners to build kits like the ones you listed, but it is challenging. If you are interested in warships in general, you might wish to consider something with less, i.e. less planking, less guns, and less rigging. Brigs and cutters fit this bill nicely, and there are many great new kits of such vessels now on the market.

But -- if you do decide to try one of the kits that you linked to, I would first of all avoid Artesania Latina, mainly because the word on the street is that they have gone out of business, which -- if true -- means that their customer support will be non-existent, should you need it. The choice between OcCre and Model Shipways (MS) largely depends on what you expect from a kit. MS kits generally have far fewer pre-cut elements in them, and a kit like Rattlesnake will assume that the builder has some previous experience. OcCre kits get a lot of positive reviews, and we have reviewed the Beagle kit here at MSW.

Hope this helps a bit!

Are these kit complete?Or I need to buy other items for extra detailing, like photo etched parts?

2 minutes ago, mikegr said:

Are these kit complete?Or I need to buy other items for extra detailing, like photo etched parts?

For the most part, yes. Most kits, if not all of them, come with the necessary parts to build the kit straight out of the box. With experience, you'll gain insight into what extras you may need or want to add in order to enhance or super-detail a kit.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Model Shipways Bounty Launch: nice wood, focus on bending, and understanding how planking a hull can or will go badly (speaking from experience) but avoiding the potentially more complicated aspects with much of the planking process already done.   Most beneficial thing (I think), is that its quite large so in a way somewhat forgiving.  Lots of resources and build logs to peruse which can help. 

San Francisco II Cross Section:  You will progress quickly and without too much difficulty.   This will reinforce your love for the hobby... and you will dabble a bit in rigging, planking decks and learning terminology.   You'll also get a sense for things (tools) that would be handy to have.   The instructions are great and the wood is decent.  Don't get bogged down in details like historical accuracy...  that's how you get in the weeds.   

Ill second Chris's suggested post...    beginners (myself included) can get ambitious without realizing it, and things can go sidewise quickly.  They also have unrealistic expectations of time involved.  I have started several logs here, and found that I was well in over my head and thus backed-up and re-evaluated my situation.  Those logs are now gone for the same reasons Chris points out, they were incomplete BECAUSE I simply could not figure them out.  I have also utilized NRG's mentor program which also helped tremendously in strategically choosing kits that build on skills in a logical way that can actually be completed!   Take your time, start slow and know that it is inherently a slow process, but immensely rewarding.   Most important, especially if you think this site will beneficial - choose a kit that is well represented in the log archives.   One or two build logs are helpful, but not as helpful and 25 or 30.  

I like the Artesnia Latina kits, and was hoping the rumor was false.  Im bummed to hear that Chris!   I guess I should start buying up projects I wanted to do in the future - or - a Byrnes saw...  hmm...  

Edited by Justin P.

Mike,

Do your self a big favor and start with something fairly simple.  You'll pick up lots of skills pretty quickly and then you can move up.  Look at Syren's longboat or barges. 

MANY years ago, I started with a Clipper ship kit from Model Shipways and it's still only partially completed. 

Agree with all above. Simpler is better for your first build. If you, like me, need guns on the deck then a cutter would be a good choice. You get to do a bit of everything.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

My advice for a first build is to pick something simple that is double planked. The first layer of planking is relatively thick planks that let you learn how to plank a ship model. The second layer are usually a paper-thin veneer that lets you easily cover up your first mistakes and gives you a good looking model. One plus of Model Shipways kits is that the instructions are usually better than most other kits, usually written by folks to whom English is a first language and their are sometimes free practicums that you can download that provide step-by-step instructions on how someone else built the kit.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

• 3 months later...

Chances are you'll be happier in the long run if you start with something simpler. Even a basic open boat will teach you a lot about the skills needed to do a more complicated model and won't take you long enough to meaningfully delay your dream project. Way too many people dive in over their heads and get disillusioned. Wooden ship building is not like assembling a plastic kit by just gluing the pieces together in order; there are a lot of new skills you will have to learn, and doing that the hard way on your expensive dream kit is asking for trouble.

Lady Nelson is a basic cutter, but the principals and steps are the same as a more advance model, just less of it.  There is also ample opportunity to kit bash it and build a better model than what comes with the kit. it’s very doable and a good start provided you’re willing to take the time and do the research on how to build models. 

However, I’d recommend Vanguard Models cutter Alert.  It’s a bit simpler than Speedy, the big difference is clear detailed instructions, much better materials, and good plans.  Better all around than Lady Nelson, but more cost though.  I think the price difference is worth it for the instructions alone. 

I learned the most on my 2nd model by punching the Bob Hunt practicum and the AVS, Reed Virginia Schooner, but I’m not sure that’s available or if Hunt is still in business. 

It’s about what your style. Personally I’d be bored by a simple open boat and more likely to abandon that than spending the time learning new skills and having something to display when I’m done.  

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I think Hunt's practicum is still available for Armed Virginia Sloop. (You have to buy the practicum and then purchase the kit from Model shipways).I used that for my first model.  I now have also the Speedy and Alert to be built. In reviewing the kits, materials and instructions I agree with glbarlow comment above and would also recommend Vanguard Model Alert.