La Tartane by GeorgeKapas - FINISHED - Heller - 1/150 - PLASTIC

Hello again! Another tiny and old Heller kit, a small sailing ship representing the Mediterranean "tartane" type. 

The kit is not actually that bad. The yards were unusable and had to be made anew. The mainmast was also changed a bit. the plastic sails were also no good. Other than that I did very few modifications. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The assembled kit. You can see in the photos the several blocks and dead eyes I made with plastic, that would go with the rigging.  Some additional pins for the rigging were added on the deck. The sails, as mentioned are not good, so I'll make them out of silk, but folded on the yards. 

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

What a great little project. The log & photography skills brightened my morning, thanks.

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

George, I built a ton of plastic model ships as a youngster and have to say they were not even close to what you have created. Very nice model!

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

insanely nice job on the paint :)   I was curious why you weren't painting it....I'd have a tough time doing that!   she came out very nice........nice rigging too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You have  done a great job on this, very nice!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Beautiful,  precise and clear work.
Well done Γιώργο (George)...:excl:

Thx

icon_exclaim.gif

Small and beautiful.

Great work 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

awesome job!  great job with the paint too ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

What a nice model you made out of that Heller kit!

Two questions: what did youuse for the sails? The material looks quite good (both in colour and in texture)

and the second one: did you paint the lines between the hull planks just freehand?? I see no belading, runnin gor other issues in the paint.... I can't even paint a full size door without my paint running in all directions :)

Jan

The sails are made out of silk, I have some leftover strips from custom made curtains. It is the best material available to me, it bends and stays in position very good, behaving completely different from simple linen or cotton. It will look even better in bigger models, surely. I guess all my models will have these sails until I run out :) .  The lines are done with a mechanical pencil, I attached a plastic piece on it's point near the tip to draw parallel to the whale. After a matte coat you cant see the difference between enamel and pencil. As for the blocks and deadeyes, they are made out of spruce plastic and they are the most troublesome to make.  

20190228_142731.jpg

I noticed that about the dead eyes........must have quite a balancing act to get the 'rope' to ride on the outside edges..   they are the most convincing  tackle I've ever seen ;)   really like the way you rigged the ship!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: