I have a “nail pusher” that I inherited with my father’s tools and have never used.  It consists of a bulbous handle and tube.  There is a plunger inside the tube and the end is magnetized to hold a small headed nail.  By pushing on the handle the nail is driven.  

If if this is what you are trying to use, it won’t work with brass nails as they are nonmagnetic.

Roger

I too have a nail pusher and it take "awhile" to get the feel of getting it right. Pilot holes REALLY help...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

For brass, I drill a hole that is a snug/tight fit for the pin or a gauge or two smaller - depending.  I used a curved Kelly clamp to hold the pin.  MM has a tool: Pin Insertion Plier # 85282  that is handy,  but it is a lot useful for bamboo dowels/trunnels.  It gently holds, while a hemostat can crush bamboo - not a problem with brass.  Being able to go in straight allows for an easier aim.

Your suspicion that nail driver/pusher is essentially worthless matches my opinion of it.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I've used the Pin Insertion Pliers with success when inserting small  brass nails. These nails had a 1/64 inch head and we're quite short.

Not a tool I use often but did a very nice job when needed.

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

I am always somewhat suspicious of single-purpose tools. The question would be what do you use it for: to drive headless pins without flattening them on the top, to avoid the impact of a hammer, to avoid hitting something else, if you are not sure with the hammer, to get it straight down, etc. I think the only really valid reason would be the first one from the above list.

There are also tweezers with V-grooves across to hold small nails and pins, e.g. when nailing.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

19 hours ago, Jaager said:

For brass, I drill a hole that is a snug/tight fit for the pin or a gauge or two smaller - depending.  I used a curved Kelly clamp to hold the pin.  MM has a tool: Pin Insertion Plier # 85282  that is handy,  but it is a lot useful for bamboo dowels/trunnels.  It gently holds, while a hemostat can crush bamboo - not a problem with brass.  Being able to go in straight allows for an easier aim.

Your suspicion that nail driver/pusher is essentially worthless matches my opinion of it.

I see how this (Pin Insertion Plier # 85282) would be very useful. Thank you.

i have two. One is a large one for small finishing nails which I occasionally use on picture frames to hold the backs on. There's a better tool for this task that's used by the pros, but I don't have occasion to frame enough pictures to justify buying one.

1330078957_19010001.thumb.jpg.06f670fad0583d92934441ab695ee0a0.jpg

The other is a tiny one for "lil pins" and dressmaker's pins. i very rarely use this one at all. While I often use pins and pegs for fastening in modeling, they are almost exclusively placed in pre-drilled holes and used as pegs to secure one part to another, concealing the peg, rather than driving a nail in with the head left exposed. They have their occasional uses, but I always drill a pilot hole first. 

One brad-nailing trick I learned from a professional picture framer is to cut the head off of a brad of the same size and type as they one you will be using and chuck it into an "egg beater" hand drill or any other drill chuck and use the headless brad as a bit to drill the pilot hole. Amazingly, it does work easily if the brad point is the usual "squared edge point" type. This technique will result in a pilot hole that fits perfectly and without risk that driving the brad will split the wood, which is a big danger when nailing narrow picture frame stock, especially at the corners.. 

Edited by Bob Cleek

5 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

i have two. One is a large one for small finishing nails which I occasionally use on picture frames to hold the backs on. There's a better tool for this task that's used by the pros, but I don't have occasion to frame enough pictures to justify buying one.

1330078957_19010001.thumb.jpg.06f670fad0583d92934441ab695ee0a0.jpg

The other is a tiny one for "lil pins" and dressmaker's pins. i very rarely use this one at all. While I often use pins and pegs for fastening in modeling, they are almost exclusively placed in pre-drilled holes and used as pegs to secure one part to another, concealing the peg, rather than driving a nail in with the head left exposed. They have their occasional uses, but I always drill a pilot hole first. 

One brad-nailing trick I learned from a professional picture framer is to cut the head off of a brad of the same size and type as they one you will be using and chuck it into an "egg beater" hand drill or any other drill chuck and use the headless brad as a bit to drill the pilot hole. Amazingly, it does work easily if the brad point is the usual "squared edge point" type. This technique will result in a pilot hole that fits perfectly and without risk that driving the brad will split the wood, which is a big danger when nailing narrow picture frame stock, especially at the corners.. 

Thank you for the input. I will definitely be using your idea with the headless nail. I truly appreciate your insight .

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 5:00 PM, Jaager said:

I’ve tried a bunch of pin pushers.  The Amati one worked the best but then broke at the end of my Badger build.

I’ve been using that Pin Insertion Plier and love it.  I use it for pinning the first planking.  The best is that you don’t have to push the pin all the way - just enough to keep it steady while the glue sets.  Then you can use the pliers to pull them out with ease, and likely reuse the pins again.  I’d recommend it without hesitation.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)