New Member from Brooklyn, NY

Good afternoon. I’ve just joined this forum, and would like to introduce myself. I’m a woodworker and boat builder/sailor in Brooklyn, NY. I have built models in the past, and now that I’m mostly captive, at home in our current crisis, I’ve pulled together some supplies to explore some further model making.

My main interest is small, working watercraft, particularly from the Chesapeake Bay region. I know that most of you are ship modelers, so I hope an interest in smaller craft doesn’t rule me out. Even in “real life”, my interest is more about traditional small craft, than ships, per se. If I’m in the wrong place, let me know!

My earlier models were planked, half models. The first was a 1:8 Marblehead “Beachcomber” Dory. The second was a Matinicus peapod.

2models1_w.jpg.b91a4b7659d303639bca3da4a8297e74.jpg

I built a full size Matinicus too, rigged as a yawl.

jimouse.jpg.a37572b3806790d6772ef370f638f9e5.jpg

I don’t know if there is any interest in these, but I do have some documentation. Beginners like me might find it interesting. I work from my own lofted lines, with materials I have milled myself. I have made my own “plywood” from Alaskan cedar veneer, vacuum bagged in three layers that equal about 1/16”. Perfect for 1:8 scale planking of boats of this type.

At any rate, I’m just starting a couple of new models, this time full hulls, with proper interiors. I’m building a Chapelle double ended sharpie, from lines and offsets I got from the Smithsonian.

DEsharpie_ConstPlan.jpg.03f6c4559288377b3ae7fa0eda3c85d5.jpgDEsharpie_Plans.jpg.c057a90ebb7a4c94e703561ecbc29923.jpg

And another beachcomber dory. I lofted that boat previously. I’ll start a thread, if there is any interest from the ship builders.

Thanks!
Cricket

You are definitely in the right place.  The interests here are diversified.  Small craft are a part of it.  The Bay craft have their following. I have tried to collect those books and plans of Bay craft that have become available over the years,  even though my subjects are larger.

Check out the NRJ back volume CD, SIS CD, Model Ship Builder CD at the store.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

1 hour ago, Jim Cricket said:

If I’m in the wrong place, let me know!

Far from it! Personally, I love smallcraft models and am always happy to see one being featured here.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome aboard, love your work so far. I'm originally from the Kensington section, so good to see another Brooklyn face.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

1 hour ago, Jim Cricket said:

I'm from SC too.

Like a lot of people in this neck of the woods, I'm not actually from these parts -- transplanted California native. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW, you'll see all kinds of ships and boats being modelled in the build logs.

I personally like the full size one you're in, makes me wish I knew how to sail!!

Enjoy👍😁

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome to MSW, Cricket.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome! I’m an upstater with both parents from queens/Brooklyn area.    

I guessed from your bench holds. :)  I have a friend who taught a craving workshop there a while back. I humbly suggest you start build log for project; it’s a great way to get suggestions and tap the collective wisdom of MSW. Your work is beautiful; I look forward to seeing more!  

Edited by EricWilliamMarshall

Welcome aboard Cricket.  Good to see such lovely work as yours.  I for one am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU