Jim Cricket

New Member from Brooklyn, NY

Good afternoon. I’ve just joined this forum, and would like to introduce myself. I’m a woodworker and boat builder/sailor in Brooklyn, NY. I have built models in the past, and now that I’m mostly captive, at home in our current crisis, I’ve pulled together some supplies to explore some further model making.

My main interest is small, working watercraft, particularly from the Chesapeake Bay region. I know that most of you are ship modelers, so I hope an interest in smaller craft doesn’t rule me out. Even in “real life”, my interest is more about traditional small craft, than ships, per se. If I’m in the wrong place, let me know!

My earlier models were planked, half models. The first was a 1:8 Marblehead “Beachcomber” Dory. The second was a Matinicus peapod.

2models1_w.jpg.b91a4b7659d303639bca3da4a8297e74.jpg

I built a full size Matinicus too, rigged as a yawl.

jimouse.jpg.a37572b3806790d6772ef370f638f9e5.jpg

I don’t know if there is any interest in these, but I do have some documentation. Beginners like me might find it interesting. I work from my own lofted lines, with materials I have milled myself. I have made my own “plywood” from Alaskan cedar veneer, vacuum bagged in three layers that equal about 1/16”. Perfect for 1:8 scale planking of boats of this type.

At any rate, I’m just starting a couple of new models, this time full hulls, with proper interiors. I’m building a Chapelle double ended sharpie, from lines and offsets I got from the Smithsonian.

DEsharpie_ConstPlan.jpg.03f6c4559288377b3ae7fa0eda3c85d5.jpgDEsharpie_Plans.jpg.c057a90ebb7a4c94e703561ecbc29923.jpg

And another beachcomber dory. I lofted that boat previously. I’ll start a thread, if there is any interest from the ship builders.

Thanks!
Cricket

You are definitely in the right place.  The interests here are diversified.  Small craft are a part of it.  The Bay craft have their following. I have tried to collect those books and plans of Bay craft that have become available over the years,  even though my subjects are larger.

Check out the NRJ back volume CD, SIS CD, Model Ship Builder CD at the store.

Hello Cricket, and a warm welcome to the forum from 'Down Under'.  You're certainly not in the wrong place.  Members' interests range from ancient to modern; sail to nuclear; alrge to small.  If it floats, this is the forum for it!

Stay safe over there.

John

1 hour ago, Jim Cricket said:

If I’m in the wrong place, let me know!

Far from it! Personally, I love smallcraft models and am always happy to see one being featured here.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard, love your work so far. I'm originally from the Kensington section, so good to see another Brooklyn face.

1 hour ago, Jim Cricket said:

I'm from SC too.

Like a lot of people in this neck of the woods, I'm not actually from these parts -- transplanted California native. 😉

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW, you'll see all kinds of ships and boats being modelled in the build logs.

I personally like the full size one you're in, makes me wish I knew how to sail!!

Enjoy👍😁

I guessed from your bench holds. :)  I have a friend who taught a craving workshop there a while back. I humbly suggest you start build log for project; it’s a great way to get suggestions and tap the collective wisdom of MSW. Your work is beautiful; I look forward to seeing more!  

Welcome aboard Cricket.  Good to see such lovely work as yours.  I for one am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Allan