Lady Eleanor by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Fifie prototype

Hi all,

Whilst in the last stages of building my Zulu from Vanguard Models, I took the opportunity to start the Fifie and get this finishing in good time so Chris can use my photos and text for the instruction book. I took a look at this kit last week, here. This will be another abridged build as I need to get the model done as quickly as I can, but you'll certainly get the gist from my photos. Whilst the Zulu was a nice simple model, this one is actually slightly simply, with a more regular hull with no sheer at the stern. The stern rake is quite shallow.

Like Zulu, the Fifie comes with engraved bevel lines. These are only a rough guide, but definitely saves time later by getting rid of some waste material now. I used my Dremel on 9000rpm for this.

2.jpg

5.jpg

The bulkheads are now slotted to the false keel and once the glue is set, the square insert that supports the end of the aft mast, is fitted, followed by the inner frame platform. The platform must be fitted with the 'TOP FORWARD' engraving at the top....and you guessed it, forward also! 

15.jpg

The fish hatch side walls are now installed. These have different length tabs and can only fit one way. Zero way to get this wrong!

22.jpg

Before fitting the deck, I use a sanding stick to level the top of the bulkheads at bow and stern, so they are in line with the sheer. The deck is now popped into place without glue. The outer edges lock underneath the upper bulkhead tabs. I now use glue to brush into the joints from underneath.

24.jpg

25.jpg

The hull on this is very easy and quick to fair, with the infilled blocks taking the brunt of the sanding rework. 

30.jpg

The pear bulwarks are 1mm thick with engravings to identify where they belong. No way you'll easily bend these around the bow without some assistance. Both front and rear of the bulwarks are soaked in hot water for about 15 to 20 mins and the excess moisture towelled off. These are then fitted to the hull with no glue, and clamps to secure them until they are completely dry. 

34.jpg

35.jpg

I could get away with a couple of lime planks that didn't need tapering, but after that, all planks working down from the bulwarks, were tapered. 

DSC_1913.jpg

DSC_1914.jpg

DSC_1916.jpg

DSC_1919.jpg

Working up from the garboard plank, I allowed the planks to more or less follow their natural flow, and then infilled with stealers.

DSC_1924.jpg

DSC_1930.jpg

DSC_1932.jpg

I always take my time with first sanding so I know the second layer will flow nicely.

DSC_1980.jpg

DSC_1982.jpg

Back to the cave for more work!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's only my second update on this, but it's my last! She's all done. As it's for the instructions, I've had to work very quickly. 

The pear wood keel is now added to the hull. The things you see attached to it are some little MDF clamps that help keep everything in alignment whilst the parts set. 

55.jpg

The whole keel is then faced with more pear. This creates a rabbet into which you can lay the plank ends. 

60.jpg

Planking this hull in pear is very straightforward. I managed to lay 5 planks before any taper. With everything in situ, the rudder cable holes were opened up again and the hull sanded smooth.

69.jpg

75.jpg

A sanding stick was used to level the top of the bulwarks prior to me adding the rubbing strakes. The top strake site at bulwark height.

76.jpg

79.jpg

Onwards with the rudder! The wooden part has laser holes for the nails, and they fit perfectly with no need for drilling out. 

81.jpg

Amati's waterline tool is used to mark the model prior to the red oxide primer being applied. I've used Plastikote for this, with some filling prep work beforehand and rubbing down between coats. 

87.jpg

93.jpg

With the MDF bulkhead ears removed, the laser engraved deck is now installed and the pre-shaped timberheads fitted in place, followed by the bulwark rails. This is also supplied laser cut. This is a very prefabricated model, hence the reason I can build it in 2 weeks for the instruction manual (which will be far more descriptive than this!), plus edit the photos and write the thing!

95.jpg

98.jpg

101.jpg

Now I can build the deck fittings, such as the wheel unit, fish hatches, steam winch, companionway etc. 

111.jpg

117.jpg

119.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

136.jpg

138.jpg

141.jpg

The Fifie has two masts, and the foremast is supplied as square section rod which needs rounding and tapering. The mast ring is used to make sure the top is the correct diameter. 

150.jpg

Rigging blocks and rig anchor points fitted the hull and bulwarks.

154.jpg

And the model is finally completed with her sails.

DSC_2293.jpg

DSC_2298.jpg

DSC_2300.jpg

DSC_2312.jpg

This is a very simple kit that still looks beautiful when finished. The rigging is dead simple and there's nothing in construction that anyone should find hard. In all, I think it's perfect for a newcomer, but if you just like fishing boats, then you'll like this!

Hope you like it as much as I enjoyed building it. Right....on with HMS Flirt!

Congratulations!  Beautifully done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 4/24/2020 at 4:21 AM, James H said:

In all, I think it's perfect for a newcomer, but if you just like fishing boats, then you'll like this!

I think this model would be a nice choice for weathering to look like a hard working, fishing boat that has endured all the hardships of the sea over time, and it could also be set into an interesting diorama then as well.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

12 minutes ago, BobG said:

I think this model would be a nice choice for weathering to look like a hard working, fishing boat that has endured all the hardships of the sea over time, and it could also be set into an interesting diorama then as well.

Absolutely! I'd love to have weathered her a little but for the box, it was strictly a straight build.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this build log.  As a newbie I really need to work on a simple project for the learning experience and to help my shipbuilding confidence.  Going to order the kit right now.

Current Build

18th Century Armed Longboat-Model Shipways

Completed Build

Lady Eleanor-Vanguard Models

King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

19 minutes ago, Jeff5115 said:

Thanks for this build log.  As a newbie I really need to work on a simple project for the learning experience and to help my shipbuilding confidence.  Going to order the kit right now.

You really will love this one. Even though both Zulu and Fifie are primarily aimed at the same market, Fifie is the simpler of the two to plank and fit out. A real delight to build. I hope you'll share a build log.

• 3 months later...

That was fantastic Jim! Really was a pleasure to watch you do the build on that. So clean and precise, wow!  I love fishing boats and may well add this one to my wishlist.

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!