Hellen by mtdoramike - Artesania Latina

I'm going to get a Artesania Latina Hellen kit from a friend. The hull as been put together, but that is as far as they got on it. I'm thrilled to get this kit, it's been out of production for a while and it peaks my interest, so I said what the heck, I get it and finish it. I comes with a 540 geared drive motor, speed control and a few extras. I'm not fond of plastic hulls, so I will see how it goes.    

20200420_172241[1448].jpg

20200420_173020.jpg

20200420_172117.jpg

20200420_172111.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the contents out of the box to get a look at it. The hull is some really thick plastic at least 1/16" thick. The hull is about 36" inches. couple of the ribs were broke, but no biggie. I also found the original receipt in the box from the original owner. The kit came from Model Expo in 1998. So this is one of those kicked around kits hopping to get built. I will give it a little love and fulfill it's destiny.   

DSC00914.JPG

DSC00915.JPG

DSC00913.JPG

DSC00912.JPG

DSC00916.JPG

DSC00924.JPG

DSC00917.JPG

DSC00918.JPG

DSC00919.JPG

DSC00920.JPG

DSC00921.JPG

DSC00922.JPG

I'll be watching this beauty, Mike. Are you building it fully ready for RC? 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Yeah Bob, it will be fully R/C ready to go. It came with a geared 540 brushed motor. When I'm finished it will be what I call receiver ready. All the new owner will have to add is their radio, receiver and battery in order to go trawling. I'm going to make the mast removeable in order to make it easier to pack and ship it. If not mistaken, this kit was later re-released as the Elena by Latina, which I believe is also out of production as well. I'm not a fan of preformed and plastic hulls, but this is one of the nicest plastic hulls I have seen, so it might win me over.  Also, this hull is quite large at about 36" and about 9" wide, which will make for a very stable boat on the water and should have plenty of room for the electrics in the hull. 

Edited by mtdoramike

Hi all,  I’m new here and I also acquired a Hellen from my sister-in-law who got it at an estate sale.

Embarrassingly cheap.

I have a bit of advice. Question darn near everything in the instructions and verify everything. They can be rather vague and some things are contradicted by the drawings but what the hey, it’s a work boat, a floating truck really.

Mine is 95% complete. I just finished the mast, booms and the gaff.

I need to varnish and do the rigging next.

Oh, and I changed the name to JENNY I’m a big fan of Forest Gump.

The first image I found on the inter web. It’s Bubba Blue’s different ways to prepare shrimp, and the captain’s certificate.

A9A531E9-7D16-4323-8996-A3A178D70783.jpeg

4637B100-CEAF-427B-9557-BD4A7D35F743.jpeg

Edited by Fresh water sailor

2 hours ago, Fresh water sailor said:

Hi all,  I’m new here and I also acquired a Hellen from my sister-in-law who got it at an estate sale.

Embarrassingly cheap.

I have a bit of advice. Question darn near everything in the instructions and verify everything. They can be rather vague and some things are contradicted by the drawings but what the hey, it’s a work boat, a floating truck really.

Mine is 95% complete. I just finished the mast, booms and the gaff.

I need to varnish and do the rigging next.

Oh, and I changed the name to JENNY I’m a big fan of Forest Gump.

The first image I found on the inter web. It’s Bubba Blue’s different ways to prepare shrimp, and the captain’s certificate.

A9A531E9-7D16-4323-8996-A3A178D70783.jpeg

4637B100-CEAF-427B-9557-BD4A7D35F743.jpeg

Beautiful job on her. Latina has great instructions usually, but sometimes the translation can get in the way causing confusion. I have built a number of Latina kits so I'm quite aware of these pitfalls. So I try and read several steps ahead on the instructions, double and triple check before final glue up. I usually build mainly by the plans and rarely build a model exactly as instructed. I will change things, especially if I find something that just doesn't make sense and do it my way.  Sailor, is your Jenny R/C or did you go static? If so, what electronics did you use?  

4 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

Beautiful job on her. Latina has great instructions usually, but sometimes the translation can get in the way causing confusion. I have built a number of Latina kits so I'm quite aware of these pitfalls. So I try and read several steps ahead on the instructions, double and triple check before final glue up. I usually build mainly by the plans and rarely build a model exactly as instructed. I will change things, especially if I find something that just doesn't make sense and do it my way.  Sailor, is your Jenny R/C or did you go static? If so, what electronics did you use?  

Translation differences are really what I thought. This is my first boat kit.

I’m not sure what electronics I’ll use. It’s up to my sister-in-law. So far just a 35 year old 05 motor. I hooked it up and it works fine.

When I purchased this kit of the Hellen, 3 of the frames were broken, I had to fix those, which was no big deal. One of the previous owners had put the hull framing together, but unfortunately they didn't do a very good job, which is why I think the work stopped at that point. I found that the frames were not properly seated on the keel, which caused them to protrude considerably higher than the lip in the inside of the hull that the deck has to sit in. I also found that this caused a ripple effect by not putting enough pressure on the sides of the hull to expend the plastic hull enough to allow the deck to set on the hull step without really forcing it.

So I took me old Dremel tool, with a mini saw blade and began to cut the tops of the frames off even with the step in the hull for the deck some of which was 1/4" off. I then shimmed the frames, which puts additional pressure on the sides of the hull, which allows the deck to sit inside the hull a bit easier and allows the frames to stay in contact with the hull sides. What surprises me is how easy people give up on something that is so simple to fix if they just think about it and learn to adapt and overcome adversity.    

Well, with the lockdown here and my susceptibility (long story) I have been working hard on my Hellen (now Jenny).

I only need to do some varnish. Everything on the deck is removable so that won’t be a problem. I just need some warmer weather.

1E3ECCFE-0C79-4C7D-90CB-41FBDD1FEDD4.jpeg

BFECE7C7-DFB3-4628-AE1F-23B8DBB4218F.jpeg

937C6DC2-E52A-40FC-94A8-69D23917D1B6.jpeg

Hi Mike, I wonder if you could move your build log over to the Ship Models from Kits forum. More forum members would see it there and it's a very interesting build. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

28 minutes ago, mtdoramike said:

I'm finishing up the wheel house. I love this color, it's called Carribean blue.

Great color...she's a beauty, Mike!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Thanks Chris, You da man! 

Thank you Bob, but I'm really trying to control myself here, because it is a fishing boat after all. So I don't want to make her too purdy, which is hard to do after building the last three or so models being Mahogany runabouts that like all that beautifying. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got caught up on your log, Mike, and she's looking good!

I haven't drilled a hole in my finger yet but I've burned myself with a plank bender, sliced my fingers with a scalpel, and pulled little pieces of skin off my fingers when they were stuck to the planks with CA. I dodged a bullet though one day when I dropped my Xacto knife and it feel straight down and stuck in the floor an inch from my bare foot. Now that would have hurt big time!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

I know the feeling Bob, I've done all of those things, even the Xacto knife, fortunately, I was wearing a pair of loafers at the time, so no damage. The worst injury I have had was a couple of years ago, while cutting out gun ports on the Montane's. The Xacto knife slipped and cut a 1 1/2" in the top of my hand down to the bone and then some. Now I use cutting gloves that Oyster shuckers use.

I was able to spend a little time on the Hellen aka: Caribbean Dreamin last night/ I got the deck glued down, deck furnishings installed, mast made and installed. I'm on the fence about using the brass mast tops. I think they are a bit too out of place on a fishing boat, but I'm not building it for me. If they are used, the sure as heck ain't staying brass, I will paint them. Though it is a shame to paint turned brass. 

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00951.JPG