Fokker Dr.I triplane by cog - multiple - 1:72

cog

4 minutes ago, Egilman said:

You had to get the one that came in the wheaties box, the one that came in the crackerjack boxes was a cheap knock off....

Must have been limited to the States. The good products you always keep to yourselves ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

3 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Looking good Carl. That striped pattern on the top surface of the 2 bottom wings is impressive. Watched your video, impressive ! 

Thanks, Jack. I should be fluent in it I suppose,  had quite some practice by now :)

Carl

All good looking models😁 a big up for working at 1:72🤪

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

This one I built in 2018 after I built the Eduard StripDown version (all the way down)

IMG_3066.JPGIMG_3067.JPGIMG_3068.JPGIMG_3069.JPGIMG_3063.JPGIMG_3065.JPGIMG_3064.thumb.JPG.69a955f37d09c33c5c35e4e905646acc.JPG

The last for now. Need some vacation ;)

StripDown

20160904_172923.jpg

Edited by cog

Carl

Wow ! Impressive collection, Carl.  Great job painting them,  should look real nice all together on a display shelf.  Cool photography setup you have there.  

one of the main reasons why I love the WWI planes so much.........the artwork that went into them is astounding!  these are some very lovely planes Carl....you did such a great job with the camo areas........I struggle to get the striations like that!   the artwork for the Jasta 18 triplane is what I'm planning for the Guillows Dr1 I have in the closet.  it has a 20 inch wingspan and should prove to be quite large....I'll have to do some magic for the decals though,  unless I have them made.  I built a Revell Fokker D VII 1:28 scale in the Raben's Ravens squadron colors.   here is a good place to get decals for WWI planes.

PheonDecals.com - Home page

you've done a phenomenal job with these planes Carl..........simply awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

8 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Wow ! Impressive collection, Carl.  Great job painting them,  should look real nice all together on a display shelf.  Cool photography setup you have there.  

Thanjs Jack. I haven't decided yet what I'll do. I want to make a mobile fro all Dr I's, I still do but then with maybe a few Nieuwports, as Sopwith Camel is no longer available from Eduard, and I am not impressed by the Roden kits. This will leave me with enough airplanes to make an airfield diorama with the remaining Dr I's (still have three or four in my stack!)

Concerning the setup: The size makes it a lot easier for a "photo shoot". I used Youngnuo YN600L Pro Video (LED) and a Falcon Eyes LED Lamp PockeLite. Camera: Canon 5D MkII, a 70-300mm Canon Zoom, and YouPro remote control , studio tripod from Cullman

Carl

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

one of the main reasons why I love the WWI planes so much.........the artwork that went into them is astounding!  these are some very lovely planes Carl....you did such a great job with the camo areas........I struggle to get the striations like that!   the artwork for the Jasta 18 triplane is what I'm planning for the Guillows Dr1 I have in the closet.  it has a 20 inch wingspan and should prove to be quite large....I'll have to do some magic for the decals though,  unless I have them made.  I built a Revell Fokker D VII 1:28 scale in the Raben's Ravens squadron colors.   here is a good place to get decals for WWI planes.

PheonDecals.com - Home page

you've done a phenomenal job with these planes Carl..........simply awesome!

They are fantastic to finish, building is a necessary evil, but choosing what it will look like in the end ... yes, that's the fun part. I added an image to the first post with the paints I used. All vallejo air because it is thin and doesn't dry to fast. You can paint wet in wetish which will get you the streaks. Use a flat brush, only use a rounded for very fine detailed lines if you need to add them. I practise before I start the camouflage, or I must have been painting it almost on a daily basis. With that 20" span sucker you'll be in for a treat. I would most certainly try it out on something. Same material and same size. Use bigger brushes than I did for definitely.

You have given me that link before in 2018, thanks for that. It came in very useful. The first plane in the log, all the dcals came from him, the red and yello striping too. Couldn't have done that by hand. Maybe I could do it with an airbrush and masking ... the decal gives a certain result ;)

Thaks for the thumbs up

Edited by cog

Carl

Those are really Nice Carl and I can see your progression on your paint to were it has arrived to date Nicely Done! :imNotWorthy: I also like and see the same effect with the props again Nicely Done! :imNotWorthy: That is not a feat easily conquered I would think? on the props I still have issues in 1/48.I think this collection shows how we as builders learn to master little bits over time even if we have been building forever.You are a bugger for trying to get me into another WWI crate and I luv the yellow one :imNotWorthy: Kevin

I thought I did.........I kinda like the 'Berthold's Boys' as well  a bit of a power play there in Jasta 18.

Jagdstaffel 18 - Wikipedia

I did one Dr1......a Canadian company called HobbyCraft....terrible model.   looks a lot like Lothar's,  but the back of the box said it was one of Ricthofen's planes

1394605757_4.JPG.f4e10a842550ca652cb6d79f55aa20b9.JPG  561701824_8.JPG.b8eb1f43ed54c2ab039d742a54451798.JPG

the D VII I bought off E Bay......the same fellow that I got the two mini Dr1's from.  I've seen the kit around too :)   as I mentioned,  the Dr 1 was terrible.......plastic was too thick,  and the guns were the worst part to line up.   I want to get a couple in 1:28 scale........it's a very nice scale to work with.  

1841471377_1.jpg.4bbf864c90c30fc305ab415bb3c804bf.jpg  1872928963_3.jpg.8e672f51dc8490f86c2545fa26234c02.jpg

I have the Roden Dr 1 in the stash...can't think offhand the scale........actually,  I can't wait for the admiral to see the size of the Guillow's plane......1:14 scale.   

got any more?  love to see them........ :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Was that last skeleton Dr in the same scale made from PE?

Great looking set. I am having trouble deciding which one I like the best.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

but the back of the box said it was one of Ricthofen's planes

It was, his brother's :)

Nice planes though. I've a 1/48 Dr I in the scaffolding, a black and white stripped with the streaked camouflage, but is not finished. It is gathering dust in the open box. Got some more Dr I's  at 1/72 (still in the box), two Messerschmitts 109G-6's, a Spit, and a water plane at 1/48, another Spit at 1/24. I started on the engine for a 109g-6 at 1:24. Must take some picies before I throuw it all in the paint bucket, and finish it. After that the radio compartment, and then the plane.

I think the admiral's eyes will bulge when she sees that one. Found a spot to display it, or just bomb it to kingdom come when it's ready?

No more airplanes ready, there will be others

Edited by cog

Carl

21 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Was that last skeleton Dr in the same scale made from PE?

Great looking set. I am having trouble deciding which one I like the best.

The StripDown ... yes, it still is at the same scale. Have another one in a box. That one I'll keep for old age, just to PMO when building it ;)

It's hard to decide indeed. I know the least I like is the first I build. The last photograph series from the present lot. That one has been entirely handpainted and it shows by the naked eye ... paint blobbed instead of painted

Carl

Nice, I like it better than the small brother. Your video showed how you are doing the woodland stripes but are you masking and airbrushing the black and white stripes?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lovely work on those camo jobs   really sharp mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

looks really sweet Carl........should finish it  ;)   that would be Ernst Udet's Dr1.......the Roden kit I have shows his as one of the four planes it creates.   for grins,  I brought it out to look at {bad for me you know}.   it's a really detailed kit......better than some I've done in the past.   it's a 1:32 scale kit........nicely packaged.........you keep showing beauties like this,  and the temptation might become too great :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lou, my hand is not that steady, so yes I mask the stripes, the stars I would too, but there aren't any ;)

Thanks for the visit, and the likes gents

Denis, should I get myself a Dr I at 1/32???

Carl

only if room will allow my friend.........oh god........your doing it to me again aren't you........must resist........resist :stunned:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

must resist........resist 

Resistance is futile......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

only if room will allow my friend.........oh god........your doing it to me again aren't you........must resist........resist :stunned:

Give in, give in Denis to the dark side of the force.  h1507.gif.408d226ed3947ebed64cc71eafd89d35.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Give in, give in Denis to the dark side of the force.  h1507.gif.408d226ed3947ebed64cc71eafd89d35.gif

No  no  more fun if you dont.........:bird-vi:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

7 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

Fortunately for you, no 1/32 readily available (buggah)

but this one is rather nice to build too ... at 1/48, still needs a bit of clear lacquer

IMG_2660.jpg.0e4c0c22a88bc304f33a6535f43498a2.jpg

Edited by cog

Carl

Ah! So you finally brought it out of hiding Carl.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

nice!  love the camo.........BF 109E?   very well done :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis, I believe it's a "Gustav" model variant. The port side air scoop and the bulges between the guns and cockpit. An "Emil" had a smaller scoop and was leaner looking in those areas. The Germans used men's names for the Messerschmidt models. The FW190D , the inline engine that looked like a skinny radial, was the Dora model. The later Kurt Tank Focke Wulfs were Ta152 variants. Tank designed the FW, but they used the factory name/initials for the earlier A and G models with the big radials. The early Messerschmidt's were actually Bf 109s, for the Bayerische Fleugzeug Werks. They took on the designer names part way into the war.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

don't think it had the bulged gun pods either....unaware of the name thing  ;)   thanks!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: