Fokker Dr.I triplane by cog - multiple - 1:72

cog

That looks Stunning mate  - the camo is really spot on.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

nice!  love the camo.........BF 109E?   very well done :) 

Nearly, pitty though, you could have won a prize ... However it is a BF 109G-6. There is a 109G-4 which has the gun pods below the wings

BF (Bayerische Flügzeug Werke changed to BMW (Bayerische Motor Werke) if I am not mistaken

Thanks gents, working on two planes presently, the Dr I and a BF 109G-6 both at 1/48 Waiting for paint presently

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

BMW made radial engines for the German a/c. They did make some a/c motors in WW I and made other engines after that war. They built motorcycles and began making cars in 1928. During WW II they stuck with their a/c engines. Post war they eventually restarted making motorcycles and autos.

BF became Messerschmidt after Dr Willy of that name. They ended up making some cars after the war. We even had some here in the 50s. They did make license built a/c and eventually merged with two other companies making helicopters until bought out by EADS.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

BMW wasn't a great engine during WWI.  considering what they were using for oil back then,  no matter the manufacturer.......engines would wear out rather quick.  I was just reading about the Fokker D VII's.....they later were fitted with BMW 111a engines towards the tail end of the war.  they found that they couldn't put these engines under full stress for too long,  or they would fail.  the f1's started out with Le Rhone 9J and continued well into the Dr 1 variant.   only 320 or so were built,  but some were fitted with Oberursel Ur.11 engines.   they were basically the same as the Le Rhone engine.....only able to pump out 110 hp.  the Dr 1 was slow,  but very nimble.

I was actually looking for the variant changes made to the Dr 1.   it started out as the V4 prototype.  Richthofen flew it and didn't like the handling,  so they gave it larger wind surfaces {this is where they may have altered the ailerons} and interplane struts,  along with the cabane struts.  they also made changes to the elevator flaps.  the Roden kit I have has the two styles of ailerons.......one has the slight curve,  one has the longer arched curve.   I'm thinking that the longer arched curve was the V4 variant.  the odd thing is the kit doesn't have the different elevator flaps,  but has two stabilizer wing parts and two identical elevator parts that are commonplace on the F1 and Dr 1 variants.    one other thing I noted is that Richthofen may have test flown the D VII,  but he never got to fly one.......he died as they were coming into service.

Edited by popeye the sailor
extra text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Carl, easy to do. I had to look up the Messerschmidt info for after the war. It was convoluted.

The Baron must have liked the maneuverability of the Dr I over the VII, with those short wings.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

he flew the albatross......the time factor was way off for the D VII.  he tested the V4 on the 1st of Sept.......it needed only minor changes to the ailerons and stabilizer fin surfaces.   he didn't test the D VII till Jan of 1918.  it needed changes as well.  one extra bay length was added to the rear section of the fuselage,  as well as the same change to the stabilizer fin surfaces that the V4 needed.   I'm thinking that the ailerons were also an issue too,  since these two planes are basically the same design.   the similarities lie with the wing design,  the stabilizer fin design,  and the rudder design.  the fuselage may look different,  but almost identical design was used here as well.  this is what I was looking into........the V4 became the F1......the second test proved to his liking.  he likely kept 101/17 for himself.   two other F1's {102/17 & 103/17}  were delivered to Jasta 10 & 11,  to be flown by Oberluetnant Kurt Wolff of Jasta 11 and Luetnant Werner Voss of Jasta 10.   it shook Richthofen's boots to hear these two died within a week of each other.....Wolff on 15 Sept and Voss on 23 Sept.  his first all red fighter was an Albatros DIII 789/16 ......this is where he earned the nickname Red Baron.  he died in an all red Dr 1 425/17.  but he flew a few versions of the Albatros,  as well as an Halberstadt D II.  he oversaw the development of the D VII,  but never got to fly one.  he also oversaw the problems they were having with the Dr 1........the top wing coming off. 

BTW........you won.........I started the Roden Dr1 :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Wow. Is the stripdown-version a 1/72 scale model too? They all look great. Always loved the colourful schemes of the flying circus.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

Welcome aboard captain_hook. Yes it is also a 1/72. Unfortunately discontinued. I'll try to make a group photograph, but you know these planes need to go in the air as often as possible ;)

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

BTW........you won.........I started the Roden Dr1

Thought I could force your hand mate, not so hard after all :P

Carl

.........should never had looked in the kit :rolleyes:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Ernie, Welcome to the log. So where are your buildlogs? The 1/48's I built took more time, because you can do more detail, the 1/32 must be even better, probably more PE choice too

Carl

1 hour ago, cog said:

Thanks Ernie, Welcome to the log. So where are your buildlogs? The 1/48's I built took more time, because you can do more detail, the 1/32 must be even better, probably more PE choice too

I have three on here, right below you.  All three finished

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

Nice builds Ernie, people should relly see what you have accomplished

Another  small one, rigged the front, need to do the rear as well

2004434646_IMG_3094copy.thumb.jpg.28d9aea9cf1a74b0c772a55f89f2df9e.jpg1800641036_IMG_3097copy.thumb.jpg.66011872aa276a3ca747eccf0a013956.jpg

Boxed in Jasta ...

270544238_IMG_3099copy.thumb.jpg.7afd3f2a0df6905e8f79e98da96c2d7e.jpg

Carl

Thats an Airforce.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Time to build some display cabinets Carl.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

yep......your gonna have to get a cabinet or make some space.......they are too good to be in a box!   that makes ten.........quite a collection :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice models!  So colorful, wonderful job!  Especially at that scale!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for all likes & comments

Mike, I'm just glad decals were invented, for some things those really come in necessary like the white bird and the small crosses.

Appreciated Tony. Well you can find them all over the net, but I used these amongst others

52e7ddd31db4aabac261af25ca97db5e.jpg.9dd295b49015fc597279e3ffba63e8c4.jpgColor3.thumb.jpg.f38493460e6a8b99b0d3d5e8febda781.jpgimage01.jpg.8c12882c3e4ce31e9b0f9a8ab70f2853.jpg

after I made a choice, I searched for the additional information as crosses and wing top colours. I also used a decal sheet from Pheon decals they have some nice WWI decals in several scales.

You could print the decals yourself on decal paper, but the biggest problem is the white. You need either to modify your printer's cartridge setup, or buy a printer which can deal with the additional white toner cartridge. Which would cost me in the range from € 1.200 to € 10.000 + I don't think I can make a living from printing all colours and black and white, which could justify the purchase ...

Carl

back when I started making my own decals,  I looked into the printer stuff.   there aren't many printers that will do white.   they are out there {Alps printers} , but prepare to pay a high price for them.   I did read of a place that refurbishes Alps printers.......can't seem to find the link.....must have deleted it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

7 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

can't seem to find the link.....must have deleted it.

Probably due to desinterest ;) Nowadays there are some laser/inktjet printers which can deal with it ... but you'll have the same price dilemma

Carl

haven't seen a laser printer that can do it.....

I wouldn't say disinterest........more like the futility in looking at something I wouldn't be able to afford in the first place  ;)   

this is why there are decals out there that require the different color fields to be laid over one another...... such as British insignias.     the color palettes cannot be printed as a single decal.  I have found ways to thwart it,  but I still deal with transparency......most printers max out at 600 dpi 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I just finished going through the log Carl, very enjoyable, wonderful models! The strip down plane seems incredibly fragile. Lovely!