Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Really great start on the deadeyes and shrouds Andy.  Glad to see that overall photo.  Pegasus sure is white!!!!

NICE!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

She looks great Andy, sharp and clean as usual...

It's obvious that it had been pretty worked on her...

May I ask: What is the material of the pegasus figure and are the ornaments of the headrails kit supplies?

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Thanks everyone!

Adam, I'll admit, I was almost blubbering like you when I was getting into the planning stages of all this rigging. But with some good reference books, it can be done. Just be prepared to spend A LOT of time planning your approach to every line. Getting a good understanding of its purpose and fabrication helps.

Sjors.... You're not telling me you're going to use my log as a rigging referrence are you? ;)

Larry, you won't believe how much help I've gleaned from TFFM IV.... It's a wonderful rigging teutorial, I would not have got this far without it. Although its specific to Swann Class ships or other sixth rates of that period, the ideas and concepts carry through to larger and later vessels.

Augie, I figured Pegasus should be white... I went with my own pseudo-neo-classical vision of the mythical flying horse..... I did highlight the muzzle, eyes and hooves with a dry brush hint of black....Although flash photography kind of washes everything out...

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Ah! Ferit, just missed you... ;)

The figurehead is made of urethane resin... I've worked a lot with this material for my other hobby (model railroading). It is quite stable and holds excellent detail. All the fancy work on the headrails etc., is photo etched brass supplied with the kit.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

your shrouds are looking great........a fine beginning!  lots more to go though.........have fun ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Andy

Your shrouds look perfect. I really enjoy the rigging - thought I'd hate it. As long as you enjoy it and armed with TFFM IV this will turn out great!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Very nice Andy - your work always looks very neat (unlike your work space! :P ). I agree with you re TFFM vol IV - it's a great general reference and has been a big help to me on Victory. It helps me to understand the sometimes more dense writing of Longridge.

Andy would be easier to build the full height of the mast first, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin, it is actually easier without the upper masts on. I can seize an eye into the upper ends of the shrouds and then slip it over the mast head, rather than havin to feed everything around and try to seize in place.

Grant... Yes my workspace looks like the victim of some tornadic experience.... But everything is within arm's reach ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Kevin, it is actually easier without the upper masts on. I can seize an eye into the upper ends of the shrouds and then slip it over the mast head, rather than havin to feed everything around and try to seize in place.

Grant... Yes my workspace looks like the victim of some tornadic experience.... But everything is within arm's reach ;)

Andy

agreed - my thinking was - the oooooooooops incidents during the next stepping

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I sometimes wish I had done it this way as well...........trying to feed the shroud lines in between the masts is a bit trying.   it also is tempting to rig higher up the mast,  which can make it harder to run other rigging on the next mast.   well.......I'm just glad to be doing  'some rigging', as I'm sure you are as well Andy.    again........wonderful progress your making.......can't wait to see more  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I certainly agree with Andy's method and wish I had thought of that when doing my Vic - would have been much easier, I think!

Andy

Mine quite often looks the same Andy, but I periodically have a big clean up to try and keep it under control. Just don't let Mobbsie see it - he'll give you some real stick over it! :D Actually, come to think of it, now that Anja is busy doing Mod stuff, Sjors is doing a lot more housework, so maybe he could come and clean up for you! :P

Andy

I'm a ways off from dealing with the masts, but my plans are to follow the method Andy is using. Also like Andy my garage/shop is a wreck! I spent most of yesterday cleaning it up, other than my model ship workbench - it's an organized disaster!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

"A house must be clean enough to be healthy, yet messy enough to be happy"

In respect to my garage, the above means I should be happier than a pig in sh_t.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

I'll quote you on both comments Andy.........I think though it will be a hard sell to my admiral ;)   she's threatening to bring the garbage can over and slide everything in!  Hee....Hee......!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It's worse when they threaten to bring in the vacuum cleaner before you've had the chance to filter through what may be lying down there.. (small lost parts, important little bits of wood.... screws, nails....)

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

she knows better...........sucked up a nail once {not one of mine} and took out one of the turbines.......darn thing sounded like a 747!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: