HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

It's worse when they threaten to bring in the vacuum cleaner before you've had the chance to filter through what may be lying down there.. (small lost parts, important little bits of wood.... screws, nails....)

I agree 100%. I dropped a very small cast part and looked everywhere for it. I'm sure it will show up one of these days, probably after I make and install it's replacement!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hi Andy,

Peg is looking really great mate, in fact I would say it's a complete miracle given the state of your workspace. :D  :D

If you tidied up now and again you wouldn't feel threatened by the Admirals hoover, mind you, you do say everything is to hand, if you can find it. ;)  :D  :D

You could always employ Sjors mate, he's pretty good at domesticity, for lost parts on the floor, a pair of tights over the end of the hoover hose. :)

Looking forward to more updates of your excellent work on your rigging, enjoy my friend.

Job done Grant. :D  :D :D  :D  :D  

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Very nice Andy, I think she is turning out to be a real beauty!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Well.... We all knew this day would come.... I have been summoned to return to work... I leave Wednesday afternoon sometime... I first have to fly to Montreal to pick up my work gear (that I left on the ship I was assigned to, and is currently laid up there), then fly back to Toronot and join another ship in the Welland canal.... :rolleyes:

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

it's with the same company....right??   is this common to go from ship to ship?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Eh, yeah... Same company... It's usually not supposed to be like that for those of us with permanent seniority and an assigned ship... And the reason why my gear is in Montreal.... If there was any kind of "normal" I would be going back to my assigned ship when she is expected to fit out (in a couple weeks)... But now I have to haul my backside over to... Well ... You all have the story already.....

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Bummer.  Just bummer.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

the wabbits are being groomed as i speak (well not actually) to wave goodbye to you

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

safe travels Andy.........let the next chapter in  'the adventures'  begin! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Bummer Andy! Have a safe trip - Peggy will be waiting patiently when you return.

Be safe Andy and have a good trip, even if it is for a 4 letter word.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

First off... the ship will be delayed... so I have a 24 hour stay of execution.... :P

And now for my update....

Finished the main lower shrouds. all that's left is to cinch up the lanyards and make them fast. Managed the main stay as well. Odd little bit that main stay collar. Made it to the lenght specified in TFFM IV but it seems a tad long. Well... I'm not going to worry about it too much. It's in...and I'm not changing it.

Another odd thing about TFFM IV... how the top ends of the shrouds are to pass around the masts.... I read the text and it describes doing it in the way I have done.... yet looking at the photos in the book.... it's backwards from that.... :huh:

So anyway... I know what I have to do in the future.. I do expect to be back home in September, good modelling weather... so I'm looking forward to getting the lower mast rigging done and banging away at some ratlines... (yeah... I'm crazy.. but I do like rigging....my own ships.... :P  :rolleyes: )

Andy

post-34-0-95018500-1375818926_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-35347200-1375818941_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-11870900-1375818955_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

those phots look great Andy

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Andy,
Looks really nice and great as you know, you too...
Just curiosity... Why do you prefer to build top masts after fixing the lowers into the deck? Is this more easier or is there another reason?

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

great work on the shrouds........she's looking beautiful!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks guys :)

Ferit, it is easier to do the masts like I am.... And safer too. Easier to set up the shrouds, I can seize them together on the bench as opposed to in place; I can also slip a pair over them mast without having to run them through a small gap. Safer in that I have less small fragile bits aloft to get snagged on as I work around the lower rigging. From another perspective, it's a little less daunting because you only see the short term goals directly in front of you, you can see each phase as you need to see it. A bit like trying to eat a whole party sized pizza by yourself in one sitting, rather than putting some away for later. You'll get there just the same... ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Looks great Andy. Very nice seizings. I look forward to being where you are but I'll enjoy the journey.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Andy

great build so far, I like the comments you give as to better Access when rigging the lower shrouds,etc, pls. do`nt hesitate to further comment your thoughts as you go along, I`ll Keep tuned with great interest

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Andy,

24 hours of more fun  :D

You know, ask your boss for a sea trip in the direction of Holland, and when you are here , you can teach me those seizings….

They are looking real great !

Enjoy your extra day free and a good trip when you have to go.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

To be honest Sjors, there's no trick to my seizings... They're all just a bit of knot trickery. I start with a clove hitch turned inwards, then add a turned in half hitch below and another above. Finally tie the ends together with another hitch, secure with glue and trim. All the knots are on the inside and virtually invisible to anyone looking (as you've so nicely proven). Easy to do and neat and effective. ;):)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Impressive rope work Andy, some great seizing and serving, very well done mate.

Have as good a trip as you can mate and be safe, were waiting for return already.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Wonderful work, Andy

I'm also more inclined to tackle the shrouds "stage by stage" instead of assembling the masts at first.

As I'm a bit anxious that you might tight the ropes as such that the mast might bend in an unappropriate direction. I am aware that many other members have a different opinion about this matter, but I think this approach ables you to "compensate" if necessary.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

If you notice, in the photos, all my lanyards are still hanging long. This is so I can carefully adjust everything at the same time. Get all the tensions equal between the shrouds and stays. The only tricky one sofar has been the mizzen mast, it's a bit thinner and more flexible, the main seems to be more of a tree stump. Takes a lot (excessive) of force to make that one bend.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy it makes a lot of sense working in the stages that you are doing, those shrouds look great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I think that at this forum, we have a few teachers... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Can we not open an modelling school?

Andy for the seizing…...

Augie for the rigging and training the spiders…...

Danny for the cannons…….

Mark for the drinks …... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Mobbsie for the speed…...

I'll be the first student !

Where can I sign in…….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif