HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Ok... time to clear out the crustacean infestation, and the other rodentiae (sp?) that have come to populate my build... :pirate41:

I've finished getting all the deadeyes and chains rigged. In the process of doing so I had to cut and temporarily mount the top and topgallant masts (to get the angles right for the chains). First time I've seen her stretched to her full height. :o

Andy

post-34-0-75918200-1363108094.jpg

post-34-0-37892200-1363108109_thumb.jpg

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

she looks great Andy........as long as you know where the starting point of the chain plate's location,  the cannon ports will dictate the rest of the dead eye placements.  it's nice to see how tall she'll stand though.......nice touch!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Actually, for a change things worked out in real life as well as on paper. By mocking up the masts and running my temporary line down from the future shroud locations, everything lined up right. I missed every gun port (some were a very near miss).

Next step is to cap off the channels then I'm going to have to buckle down and get those masts shaped, tapered and fitted.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy,

Looked over your built log with pleasure. This is really an impressive built and great painting. Well done.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Nice job on the 'chain gang'.

She really changed with the first addition of the masts.  Thanks for the preview of what's to come :)

Good work, mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Andy,

Great going on the chainplates and temporary mast fitting.    I'm glad the exterminator didn't need to be called.post-76-0-15505500-1363157017.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The chain plates look excellent. She will be truly a tall ship too. I'm looking forward to seeing some more progress.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Andy,

Ditto to the previous post regarding your chains. Peg is looking really good.

Love the banter, some brilliant remarks in there.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

It goes without saying (I hope), but thank you all for your comments. I realized the other day it has been a while since I acutally posted some progress... mostly because what I've been doing has been tedious and time consuming... and very dusty...

I've started work on shaping the fore mast and attaching some of its fittings. A lot of work for not much visual progress. A lot of time was spent figuring out how to go about getting the shapes and profiles called for on the plans. And of course I ran up against that age old issue with these kits... trying to make a 6mm square out of a 6mm round dowel..... (I'm almost certain that when he designed these kits Watton must have been using square stock to begin with, and somewhere along the lines it got lost in translation), almost as impossible was taking 6mm round dowel and making a 5mm square.

What I ended up doing was taking a length of 8mm stock and drilling a short mortise in the top, and sanded down a matching tennon in the bottom of the topmast. I tried to get things as close to center as possible, it was a little off, but by adjusting the final position of the tennon, everything lined up ok. There is a little colour discrepancy, but I don't mind as this part of the mast will be painted black eventually.

It may look a little rough for a first attempt, but overall I'm ok with the end result. Everything at the foretop ended up nice and square and pretty much the dimensions required. Nothing a little carefull sanding, filling and painting won't hide. ;)

Andy

post-34-0-65161100-1363531899_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-83191700-1363531932.jpg

post-34-0-27091100-1363531945.jpg

post-34-0-92482200-1363531957_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I think if I had to do this all over again, I would start by ordering replacement masting material out of square stock. Heck of a lot easier sanding things smaller than having to sand things larger.. :P

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hey Andy, your progress is looking good. While it may not be the most visually exciting for picture purposes, we all know what's coming next with rigging and all it's glory. I've had some issues with square to round as well and in some cases it was easier to take square stock and piece it on to the round section using a dowel through the center as a strengthener. I've also started with square stock as well. I wonder if anyone from the manufacturers tries to assemble these kits after piecing together the prototype kit.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Stick with it Andy.  We've all faced the 'take the square stick, make it round, now turn 1/2 of it into an octagon' routine.  It's part of the fun :huh:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Andy,  The mast looks great and IMO, worth the effort.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the info and pics Andy, this is most definately one tip to remember.

Your doing a super job on Peg, she looks great.

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

nice bit of progress Andy......I tend to agree with you,  but for those of us who don't have a lathe......well,  we have to make do ;)     I'll look forward in seeing the complete mast tree.  so far,  it looks real good.   ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone. You know...the more I think about it, the more I am seriously considering buying square stock for the upper masts. I got somewhat lucky on my first attempt, but I'm not sure on my patience to replicate the results... I also think it would significantly speed up my progress. And it really would make the masts stronger... No matter how "reinforced" the joint is, it will always be a weak spot.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

When you learn that trick Andy you can make a fortune selling the idea to all of us :)  Nice work on the masts though!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Andy

Nice work on the mast! If you use the solution with the tendon and fix the parts with epoxy glue you end up with something as strong as one made from a single thicker piece. No problem there.

To make my spare spars I ordered some square stuff – and it worked like a dream. That’s to say where the grain was ok. Some stuff had too coarse a grain and produced junk.

Yesterday I flew into Montreal again and I must tell you that you have to work on your temperatures – they are definitely below standard! (According the definition of the standard atmosphere you should have some +15°C but you were 30°C below that!) Nevertheless there were 2 ships steaming upriver from Quebec despite some ice still on it. I guess you will start your sailing season 2013 soon?

Take care

Peter

Very nice mast Andy,

I see that your "holidays" are over?

Back to the real world again?

If I don't speak to you anymore, save trips and come back in one piece…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Geez Sjors...don't feel bad...I haven't gone yet... Besides, you know I'll be stopping by after I'm back to work... Someone's got to keep you flinging those cotton canon balls :P

I'm just at that nerve wracking point where I don't know when the call may actually come.. And trying to make plans is a bit risky. To tell the truth it's a bit annoying.... Waiting....and waiting....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Waiting and waiting...where have I seen that line before????

Making masts and spars would definitely occupy your downtime shipboard....

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Yeah...no. I mentioned before.. Stuff tends not to survive the journey packed in luggage. Fragile parts break easy and with all my other stuff,clothes, work gear, supplies (think 3 months worth of all the daily stuff you use), there's really not the space. Besides, most of my "downtime" is spent either eating or catching up on desperately needed sleep.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Well, we'll keep a light on in the transom for you.......but we WILL miss ya :blush:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976